Official Judo Thread VI

Osoto frenzy last night, and my instructor even praised my osoto technique once, which is about as common as an albino bullfrog -- normally repressed disgust is the most he expresses regarding my technique.

uchimata is about your hips, not just your legs! legs only matter for Ken Ken.

Honda Housey has a great Uchimata and she's like 5'6"

The truth!

I'm 5'4 and i've uchimata'd my partners numerous of times and they are all 6'2 ish. In fact, it has been my winning-est throw in Shia/Randori and one hell of a setup throw for anything else!

The trick is to get your hips deep (no homo) and the leg acts as a guide. Illias Illiadis has a video where you can see his leg shoot in to put his hips as deep as possible and the rest was history.

The truth!

I'm 5'4 and i've uchimata'd my partners numerous of times and they are all 6'2 ish. In fact, it has been my winning-est throw in Shia/Randori and one hell of a setup throw for anything else!

The trick is to get your hips deep (no homo) and the leg acts as a guide. Illias Illiadis has a video where you can see his leg shoot in to put his hips as deep as possible and the rest was history.

Totally agree, I am 1,78 cm just like Illias but I suck at Uchimata xD ...

Since I don't know how to do uki goshi properly, that probably explains why my uchimata sucks.

I always explain that 'proper' uchimata starts as uki goshi.

Well that explains a lot.

I'm firmly in the kouchi / Seoi / sode / sutemiwaza camp, but good to know.

Wait, what's that make harai goshi?

Difficult :)

I actually hit harai regularly - maybe no one expects it from a fire hydrant shaped person. And ever since I was a little white belt, it was described to me as the followthrough for uki goshi.

Uchi mata I have almost never hit at judo except back when leg grabs weren't disqualifiable, as a single leg counter.

So to hear them described both in the same way makes me think of sambo and how they're both podhvat to my ex soviet bloc training partners.

Well that explains a lot.

I'm firmly in the kouchi / Seoi / sode / sutemiwaza camp, but good to know.

Wait, what's that make harai goshi?

Harai also starts with a good uki goshi. You just use the sweeping leg to help turn uke. In fact one of the biggest mistakes I see beginners make with harai is getting their hips too far across like you would for an o-goshi. You really only want the edge of your hip to touch uke around his centerline, otherwise your sweeping leg is just going to hit air. With both uchi mata and harai, the hip gets uke up and gets the throw started but the combined leg and hand motion is what puts him on his back.

I'm practising Uchi mata at the moment and I'd like to get good at it. Would you recommend starting with uki goshi in randori then adding the leg at a later point?

Also, the bit I struggle with most is getting the Kuzushi in randori. In uchikomi I have no problem but randori is a whole different ball game.

Any tips at all would be appreciated.

I'm practising Uchi mata at the moment and I'd like to get good at it. Would you recommend starting with uki goshi in randori then adding the leg at a later point?

Also, the bit I struggle with most is getting the Kuzushi in randori. In uchikomi I have no problem but randori is a whole different ball game.

What are your grips jtb?

http://youtu.be/grz2X63WGe0

Good video on entry and foot work for uchimata.

Behind the collar or deep back grip when I can. Sometimes I'll go sleeve-lapel but I can't do it very well since I broke my hand.

Cheers, I'll give it a look when I'm on my laptop.

No worries dude, hope it helps a little, health warning here though I've never hit a straight uchi mata on anyone decent in my life, belt grip/cross grip crush ken ken or high collar grip off a ouchi/kouchi only

The essential feature of uchimata is the swing (not just the leg but upper body control). That is a different action than uki goshi. The hip placement may be similar (maybe) but that's all there is too it.

Getting a good pull in randori is not just an uchimata problem, and it's not a small topic. So maybe easier to describe what you do.

Personally I prefer going for uchimata after an ouchi to get them to lean forward. Other ways I like are sideways or circling forward (with leg uchimata).

I'll be honest, my Kuzushi sucks. I'm surprised I got my black belt.

My Kuzushi consists of going one way and faking it then going the other. That's all there is to my Judo and I need to improve it.

For my tai otoshi I fake sasae then go for the tai otoshi. For my seoi nage I push then pull. It's pretty much the same for all my Judo - very basic and I need to work on it for sure.

Judo for the first time in two weeks. Me happy.

Coach teaching kouchi-makikomi with pants grab saying "I don't care what the IJF says this is judo that works"...priceless

When you try Uchimata, get your hips deep and as you are leaning forward and swinging your leg upwards, EMPHASIS on the hand motion. You really want to pull, turn and extend your opponent out to get him to loose his balance. Once you hit that break point, it's like magic....magic waza...:icon_evil

HAHA I'm the same, I tell my partners to do old rules.

Usually "old rules" is "announced" in randori by a surprise sucessful leg grabbing attack between two partners who get it. Laughs are exchanged and real Judo is enjoyed.

Back