Official Judo Thread VI

Thoughts on creating strong kuzushi against defensive, ai yotsu grips?

Unless the person is really relying on the stiff-arm-ass-out posture that I can enter for (yoko) tomoe nage, I feel forced to play counter judo (which I hate).

So yeah I nearly got tripped over by a white belt tonight not knowing he had some experience. He had me hopping off a deashi barai attempt when we went into some other people doing randori.

I had to bury him a couple of times due to my bruised ego. I put him down gently though.

Thoughts on creating strong kuzushi against defensive, ai yotsu grips?

Unless the person is really relying on the stiff-arm-ass-out posture that I can enter for (yoko) tomoe nage, I feel forced to play counter judo (which I hate).

How aggressive are you about grip fighting? If you can for instance secure his power arm with a sleeve grip he will have a hard time neutralizing your kuzushi. Other than grip fighting, active movement and angling using my body weight for what it's worth to pull him out of position usually helps for me. Trying to get the kuzushi required for a throw when you and uke are both relatively stationary and he is being defensive is pretty damn hard.

So yeah. Win the grip fight or get ready to move yourself. I guess I'm not much help, lol.

So yeah I nearly got tripped over by a white belt tonight not knowing he had some experience. He had me hopping off a deashi barai attempt when we went into some other people doing randori.

I had to bury him a couple of times due to my bruised ego. I put him down gently though.

where do you train?

How aggressive are you about grip fighting? If you can for instance secure his power arm with a sleeve grip he will have a hard time neutralizing your kuzushi. Other than grip fighting, active movement and angling using my body weight for what it's worth to pull him out of position usually helps for me. Trying to get the kuzushi required for a throw when you and uke are both relatively stationary and he is being defensive is pretty damn hard.

So yeah. Win the grip fight or get ready to move yourself. I guess I'm not much help, lol.

I'm just a sankyu and I feel like it would be misplaced focus at my level, so I don't grip fight heavily. I tend to get my grips and try to make something work from there. If I can catch their power hand first, bonus. The exception is in a kenka yotsu situation, where I fight to control the inside pretty consistently.

Any videos or info you've seen about concepts and principles of using movement to create angles? I'm admittedly pretty shitty at this.

Did judo for the first time since my injury.

Rib hurts when I do a shoulder roll on my right shoulder. But spirited newaza didn't do anything.

Bleh. I hope I'm not exposing myself to terrible things by starting to train again.

I'm just a sankyu and I feel like it would be misplaced focus at my level, so I don't grip fight heavily. I tend to get my grips and try to make something work from there. If I can catch their power hand first, bonus. The exception is in a kenka yotsu situation, where I fight to control the inside pretty consistently.

Any videos or info you've seen about concepts and principles of using movement to create angles? I'm admittedly pretty shitty at this.

Do a YouTube search for tai sabaki and mawarikomi.

Also, Onq has a great thread on various grips.

I recently read that the IJF has changed its standards/rules for uniforms again, the big change being that uniforms would have to be thinner in order to be easier to grip. The article specifically said that many previously IJF-approved uniforms would no longer be legal.

a) Have you guys ready anything about this?

b) If it's true, what are the odds that a whole wackload of nice previously IJF-approved will get dumped at clearance prices? Cause I wouldn't mind getting me one of those for training purposes. ;)

EUROCOMP BANANZA!!!

i'm seriously about to just play BJJ until IJF runs out of rules to change.

I recently read that the IJF has changed its standards/rules for uniforms again, the big change being that uniforms would have to be thinner in order to be easier to grip. The article specifically said that many previously IJF-approved uniforms would no longer be legal.

a) Have you guys ready anything about this?

b) If it's true, what are the odds that a whole wackload of nice previously IJF-approved will get dumped at clearance prices? Cause I wouldn't mind getting me one of those for training purposes. ;)

I haven't heard anything about it, but it makes sense to me. A double weave gi is really no fun to play against. Disclaimer, I train solely in a double weave gi.

Probably one of the easiest and simplest ways to make judo more dynamic is to kill off these uber-defensive gis that make kuzushi a bitch and collar chokes incredibly hard.

EUROCOMP BANANZA!!!

i'm seriously about to just play BJJ until IJF runs out of rules to change.

I think the hardest part about stand-up in BJJ is throwing/sweeping/taking down the guy before he can flop on his butt. A really sad state of affairs. IMO BJJ's leniency in allowing people to do whatever the Hel they want (butt-flopping, jumping guard) hurts the art way more than the IJF changing the rules.

I haven't heard anything about it, but it makes sense to me. A double weave gi is really no fun to play against. Disclaimer, I train solely in a double weave gi.

I thought double weaves were the go-to gi for most competitors.

I've only ever done one (small, regional) competition and I had to get a white gi in a pinch (I was using a blue double weave BJJ gi for training) so I wound up with an entry-level single weave Adidas club gi. I definitely felt like I was the odd man out. Figured it must have put me at a big disadvantage since literally everyone else had double-weaves.

Probably one of the easiest and simplest ways to make judo more dynamic is to kill off these uber-defensive gis that make kuzushi a bitch and collar chokes incredibly hard.

I thought their purpose was to encourage grip training; not to encourage defensiveness.

I think part of the problem is that in judo competition they don't count your gi as part of your weigh in.

In BJJ competition, by contrast, they do count your gi weight as part of your weigh-in weight.

BJJ competitors are incentivized to use lighter weight gis, while judo competitors are incentivized to use tank-like ultra heavy gis.

i'm so used to double weaves now that single weaves feel chintzy. can't wait until another decade from now when they'll have some sort of undershirt sensor mess like the taekwondo doohickeys and everything except a forward throw is banned.

we'll all be telling the kids 'back in my day we wore a man's pajamas and could te guruma a bitch when we needed to.'

Einarr - i think no leg touchy, half guard stall, and turtle stall are all more egregiously stupid than guard pulling, but i pass like a beast

I think part of the problem is that in judo competition they don't count your gi as part of your weigh in.

In BJJ competition, by contrast, they do count your gi weight as part of your weigh-in weight.

BJJ competitors are incentivized to use lighter weight gis, while judo competitors are incentivized to use tank-like ultra heavy gis.

I never realized that. The only judo competition I attended (again: small, regional) weighed in our street clothes; not our gis.

Back