No Spoilers Official Diablo IV Discussion

What char class are you (or planning on) maining?

• Total voters
30 series owners beware

I was feeling tempted to get it this morning but a story popped up on my feed. Aparently, 3080ti owners have been getting their GPUs bricked during cutscenes. Im guessing this is because there is no frame limiters in place and its just shooting through the roof generating a jillion fps. I have mine set in the Nvidia control panel to not go past my monitors limit.

Most of the posts im seeing people mention that they have Gigabyte cards, so it might be specific to that. There were also a few other posts where people said it bricked their 3090 or 3070ti. I have an EVGA 3080ti but I will probably steer clear for now.

Also, kind of bullshit that people are only getting a few days to to play it but the queues are making it hard to get into for a lot of people. Fucking Blizzard for you.

I have a Gigabyte 3080Ti and had an occasion today where I lost video, and my fan went crazy. I hard reset and it seems to be okay. I'm very reluctant to try again.

Where in your settings do you set your card not to go above your monitor?

Last edited:
I have a Gigabyte 3080Ti and had an occasion today where I lost video, and my fan went crazy. I hard reset and it seems to be okay. I'm very reluctant to try again.

I would highly recommend not running it again. I saw some posts where it bricked the second time. I’d hate to see you out on a super expensive graphics card.

You can do it in the nvidia control panel.
. Right-click the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel from the drop-down menu. Under 3D settings, select “Max Frame Rate,” you may have to scroll down to find it. Once there, click on “Off” and then select “On” and either scroll or type in your desired frame rate. Be sure to click “Apply” and the bottom to save the settings.

Read more at The Outerhaven: How to enable Frame Rate Limit for Nvidia GPUs https://www.theouterhaven.net/?p=207351

I would highly recommend not running it again. I saw some posts where it bricked the second time. I’d hate to see you out on a super expensive graphics card.

You can do it in the nvidia control panel.
Thank you so much for the input. Don't know how I missed that. And thank you for the advice-- I won't play anymore until/unless it gets fixed. So a couple questions--
1) Is my card okay? I know this is probably a dumb question but was that like a stroke, where it won't function well anymore?
2) Blizzard hasn't said a single thing about this. Surely they will have to have this fixed at some point right?

Thank you so much for the input. Don't know how I missed that. And thank you for the advice-- I won't play anymore until/unless it gets fixed. So a couple questions--
1) Is my card okay? I know this is probably a dumb question but was that like a stroke, where it won't function well anymore?
2) Blizzard hasn't said a single thing about this. Surely they will have to have this fixed at some point right?
1. It’s probably fine. They usually have a safety feature to kick off before they fry and if yours didn’t fry, you’re probably good.

2. no one knows what’s causing it yet. It will get fixed once it’s figured out. There was another game that was bricking 3090s in its beta. I’ll try to look it up and see what was actually caused that one.

Since it’s been mostly gigabytes models, I image there is some unfortunate flaw in that card. I have read a lot of stories though of fans spinning up to max and all the memory in the computer getting eaten up, so there’s definitely something going on with the game too.

1. It’s probably fine. They usually have a safety feature to kick off before they fry and if yours didn’t fry, you’re probably good.

2. no one knows what’s causing it yet. It will get fixed once it’s figured out. There was another game that was bricking 3090s in its beta. I’ll try to look it up and see what was actually caused that one.

Since it’s been mostly gigabytes models, I image there is some unfortunate flaw in that card. I have read a lot of stories though of fans spinning up to max and all the memory in the computer getting eaten up, so there’s definitely something going on with the game too.
Thanks man. That's what I get for preordering.
You know what? I SAID I wouldn't do it. But then I started hearing about all the good feedback, and my friend wanted to play with me. I guess it's not the end of the world that I have to wait, but I was really looking forward to grinding through the end of the world with a huge 2-handed mace.

You are thinking of New World

30 series owners beware

I was feeling tempted to get it this morning but a story popped up on my feed. Aparently, 3080ti owners have been getting their GPUs bricked during cutscenes. Im guessing this is because there is no frame limiters in place and its just shooting through the roof generating a jillion fps. I have mine set in the Nvidia control panel to not go past my monitors limit.

Most of the posts im seeing people mention that they have Gigabyte cards, so it might be specific to that. There were also a few other posts where people said it bricked their 3090 or 3070ti. I have an EVGA 3080ti but I will probably steer clear for now.

Also, kind of bullshit that people are only getting a few days to to play it but the queues are making it hard to get into for a lot of people. Fucking Blizzard for you.

god damn. sounds like this game is causing some severe voltage spikes

many 3080ti users are reporting fried gpu's, but there's some 4080 and 4090 users who are getting the same shutdowns as well.

i think i'll wait a few weeks after launch just to make sure that this issue still isnt persisting. especially with the 4000 series cards. aint no way im gonna kill my pc for diablo.

Last edited:

from some of the posts ive been reading, it seems like you are one of the lucky ones. other peoples cards have went kaput.

in the nvidia control panel you can lock your framerate to whatever you want under "Max Frame Rate" in the 3d settings. i'd set it to a few frames under your monitors refresh rate just to prevent screen tearing. you could also just enable vsync if you want and it will handle that for you. also in the diablo 4 graphic settings itself in the game menu you should be able to lock the framerate from there too.

personally i wouldnt even launch the game after that ordeal until i know that blizzard fixed their shit. in diablo resurrected they used some kind of funky AVX instructions. at least at launch. it wasnt in the D2R beta but it taken many pc users by surprise when they added it at launch. it was causing many peoples cpu's to run abnormally hot and consume stupid amounts of power. i wouldnt be surprised if they went and fucked this up with diablo 4 as well. blizzard with diablo games lately be like "yeah we'll fry your cpu. and if that dont work we'll kill your gpu!"

Last edited:
god damn. sounds like this game is causing some severe voltage spikes

many 3080ti users are reporting fried gpu's, but there's some 4080 and 4090 users who are getting the same shutdowns as well.

i think i'll wait a few weeks after launch just to make sure that this issue still isnt persisting. especially with the 4000 series cards. aint no way im gonna kill my pc for diablo.
"NOT EVEN NVIDIA CAN SAVE YOU FROM ME"

Yeah I hope it’s good but I’m not optimistic. I think they were already talking about selling weapons and armor for real money in game which is a huge red flag, even if it’s just cosmetic.

If that's true. It's definitely a red flag.

If that's true. It's definitely a red flag.
They have said just the opposite. Cosmetic maybe, but they have stressed they are not selling pw2 stuff.

Anyone get the a random encounter with the butcher ? Absolutely destroyed me. Liking how he can randomly appear in any dungeon.

So I had enough time to get my Rouge to lvl 25. I didn't even explore the east side of the map until late last night. I was out dungeon crawling on the west coast that I didn't even know it was available.

I thought the world building and design were excellent. I was very interested in the story and enjoyed the small side quests and areas I was sent to. I've always been a fan of gothic horror so I fit right in here. Although, in my opinion, the art direction does come of a little bit cartoony. The real nightmares continue to live in From games. It's a true testament to their design philosophy. But, it's not bad here at all and the aesthetic fits in with the overall design.

The fighting and movement felt crisp and responsive. I very much enjoyed the Rouge. There were plenty of options that fit my run n gun playstyle while also allowing me to jump in close quarters if needed. I wish the skill tree would go full screen, it probably does, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on console.

Level scaling exists here in which as you level the enemies around you level at the same time. This led me to feel like I wasn't really progressing in power level as I would take out roughly the same amount on a large attack at lvl 10 as I would at lvl 25. I'm generally a proponent or lvl scaling because I tend to do all side-quests which often leads me overleveled for the main game, but here, the only thing that changed was the option to add more skills. I didn't get a sense of being more powerful even though I was equipped and upgraded with all legendary items. I don't know how to fix something like this without breaking the game. Allowing people to just delete enemies in a single move would make the game seem kind of dull. Its a though one to figure out.

The above could change as the story moves along and you level up. But from the beta I honestly didn't feel like my power level ever really changed outside of gaining skills.

Wo-Long got it right with the free re-spec. Here, you make a mistake or don't like your build and you will be grinding to get those re-specs. I do not see Blizzard changing this function at all. They have Battle Passes coming and the game is a live service. They want people in the world as long as possible. One way to do that is making sure that re-specing your character is laborious.

Dungeons felt the same after you've been in more than a handful. It's basically hunt down keys or boxes to unlock another area, then fight the boss. Lot's of backtracking going on as well. I'm hoping this changes as you progress in the levels or acts.

This game will be a TIME SINK no doubt. If they can update their dungeons and give a bit more feeling of power (although fair) I will be running around in the world for hours.

EDIT: I waited to watch any youtube builds until after I played to see what people were coming up with. My Rouge was nowhere near as cool as he could have been.

So I had enough time to get my Rouge to lvl 25. I didn't even explore the east side of the map until late last night. I was out dungeon crawling on the west coast that I didn't even know it was available.

I thought the world building and design were excellent. I was very interested in the story and enjoyed the small side quests and areas I was sent to. I've always been a fan of gothic horror so I fit right in here. Although, in my opinion, the art direction does come of a little bit cartoony. The real nightmares continue to live in From games. It's a true testament to their design philosophy. But, it's not bad here at all and the aesthetic fits in with the overall design.

The fighting and movement felt crisp and responsive. I very much enjoyed the Rouge. There were plenty of options that fit my run n gun playstyle while also allowing me to jump in close quarters if needed. I wish the skill tree would go full screen, it probably does, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on console.

Level scaling exists here in which as you level the enemies around you level at the same time. This led me to feel like I wasn't really progressing in power level as I would take out roughly the same amount on a large attack at lvl 10 as I would at lvl 25. I'm generally a proponent or lvl scaling because I tend to do all side-quests which often leads me overleveled for the main game, but here, the only thing that changed was the option to add more skills. I didn't get a sense of being more powerful even though I was equipped and upgraded with all legendary items. I don't know how to fix something like this without breaking the game. Allowing people to just delete enemies in a single move would make the game seem kind of dull. Its a though one to figure out.

The above could change as the story moves along and you level up. But from the beta I honestly didn't feel like my power level ever really changed outside of gaining skills.

Wo-Long got it right with the free re-spec. Here, you make a mistake or don't like your build and you will be grinding to get those re-specs. I do not see Blizzard changing this function at all. They have Battle Passes coming and the game is a live service. They want people in the world as long as possible. One way to do that is making sure that re-specing your character is laborious.

Dungeons felt the same after you've been in more than a handful. It's basically hunt down keys or boxes to unlock another area, then fight the boss. Lot's of backtracking going on as well. I'm hoping this changes as you progress in the levels or acts.

This game will be a TIME SINK no doubt. If they can update their dungeons and give a bit more feeling of power (although fair) I will be running around in the world for hours.

EDIT: I waited to watch any youtube builds until after I played to see what people were coming up with. My Rouge was nowhere near as cool as he could have been.
The skill tree could go full screen on the Xbox had to click on the right thumb stick I'm guessing probably the same on the PlayStation.

Really enjoyed the weekend. Probably won't play next weekend, just to not burn myself on that first area yet again.

Also, either the Sorcerer is OP, or the barb and rogue are underpowered, because I just walked through everything with my Sorc, barely ever had pot.

Back