NPR "All Things Considered" Slams Justin Timberlake Super Bowl Concert For "White Male Privilege"

Her music isn’t my thing but you can tell she puts a lot of effort into the production of her albums and shows. Again it wasn’t my thing, but I thought the HBO special to go along with her album was a pretty cool idea. It’s little things like that that help her stand out. I wouldn’t mind seeing that from artists I like.

Only current female entertainer who stands out more is Adele imo, because she’s just that amazingly talented as a vocalist.

Yeah, that's not my music at all. But she can take the mic an put on a 45 minutes live performance any day of the week.
She is a bit more of a performer/entertainer than a pure musical talent IMO. Of course, she also has the vocal talent.

The Super Bowl halftime show needs to "reflect society's struggles "? It's a football game not a political event and it's supposed to be fun.

I thought it was lame, but not for anything to do with that

Yup, much effort, incredible lyrics, much wow

nya7ew.jpg

I'll admit I am biased against music like that cause I listen to this sort of stuff all the time but fuck me:

But fuck me straight pop music is straight fucking trash.

Whoa pump the breaks. By no means am I comparing her to the greatest rock singer of all time. What on Earth.

I think it was 2007 or 2008 when they had Tom Petty. I thought that was pretty good. But I don’t think we’re gonna see it that often. Half Time show is bait.

edit: I just realized the way I worded it made it sound like we’re not gonna see Petty often. Unfortunate phrasing.
I get that, the Halftime show is ultimately there to get non-football fans to tune in and make more revenue but goddamn.... give me Springsteen (even though I probably wouldn't get along with him politically) or like Metallica, the remnants of The Who or someone else. This pop shit is just... blah

When has it been different in America?
Oh we've always had tension I would agree but the last time I believe it reached these types of levels was during the heyday of the 60's and early 70's. Unlike those times though, we now have sufficient tech to allow a faster proliferation of fringe ideals whereas before one typically had to be exposed to it through direct contact to be especially effected by it.

Whoa pump the breaks. By no means am I comparing her to the greatest rock singer of all time. What on Earth.
I realize this but I cannot stand people that have 5 writers and untold amount of producers to produce... whatever the fuck Beyonce produces.

Like, The Cadillac Three might not be everyone's jam but it's literally THREE dude's in the band and they're the only writers for their stuff.

I get that, the Halftime show is ultimately there to get non-football fans to tune in and make more revenue but goddamn.... give me Springsteen (even though I probably wouldn't get along with him politically) or like Metallica, the remnants of The Who or someone else. This pop shit is just... blah

There’s a lot of options. Dual performances, duets, etc.

Springsteen is a good choice. He could be Resident Halftime Artist.

There’s a lot of options. Dual performances, duets, etc.

Springsteen is a good choice. He could be Resident Halftime Artist.
They should get Tom Waits to do it cause he wouldn't want to be there and would piss everyone off:

I'd take Rammstein trying to burn people with their flamethrower masks at this point over what we usually get.

I get why they use pop stars though. It's easy, catchy, and a ton of people listen to it and basically no popstars play instruments during their live sets so it allows them to move around in the crowd and shit.

Course, Keith Urban goes out into the crowd and Eric Church will jump in the crowd and chug Jack Daniels with fans.

I realize this but I cannot stand people that have 5 writers and untold amount of producers to produce... whatever the fuck Beyonce produces.

Like, The Cadillac Three might not be everyone's jam but it's literally THREE dude's in the band and they're the only writers for their stuff.

That’s fair. Most bands I like write their own stuff, with some intervention from a producer but a lot of the time they act as their own. I don’t think it necessarily makes the music better or worse - George Martin had a lot of influence on the Beatles.

But I get it. Sort of like I can appreciate the amount of people that worked on Kill Bill but still think it’s a turd, personally.

It's easy to see why they choose acts with the broadest possible appeal. They also want a certain amount of safety, although just enough titillation is also desirable to draw interest cause sex sells...just not too much sex.

I agree. It sucks, but rock n roll doesn't top the charts anymore and mainstream rock is in a lot of ways dead.

I agree. It sucks, but rock n roll doesn't top the charts anymore and mainstream rock is in a lot of ways dead.
I use the halftime show to take a piss and shit admittedly but it's just too blatant for me what it is.

It can be good, can be bad.

Lady Gaga killed it last year.

Lol at this bitch complaining about white privilege in music. In it's current state black people over represent the landscape by a large margin. There wasn't even any white dudes nominated for an album of the year award at this years Grammy's.

I don't care for Justin Timberlake's music, but I give him props for not doing anything political during his halftime performance.

Last edited:
They should get Tom Waits to do it cause he wouldn't want to be there and would piss everyone off:

I'd take Rammstein trying to burn people with their flamethrower masks at this point over what we usually get.

I get why they use pop stars though. It's easy, catchy, and a ton of people listen to it and basically no popstars play instruments during their live sets so it allows them to move around in the crowd and shit.

Course, Keith Urban goes out into the crowd and Eric Church will jump in the crowd and chug Jack Daniels with fans.

Lol, the look on people's faces if Tom Waits went out there with an accordion and played "Innocent when you dream."

Yup, much effort, incredible lyrics, much wow

nya7ew.jpg

I'll admit I am biased against music like that cause I listen to this sort of stuff all the time but fuck me:

But fuck me straight pop music is straight fucking trash.

Nice.

Now do one with 'Fat Bottom Girls' on the right.

<5>

Is it me or are most of these sjw effeminated men n ugly women?

Monday, National Public Radio music critic Ann Powers reacted on “All Things Considered” to Sunday’s Super Bowl LII halftime performance by Justin Timberlake, saying the artist was “not right for this moment.”

“[T]he entire performance was shrouded in the sense of Timberlake not being right for this moment — and the Janet Jackson controversy haunted it,” Powers explained. “He chose to perform the song ‘Rock Your Body,’ during which the famous wardrobe malfunction took place, and yet he didn’t mention Janet. He didn’t shout her out, and stopped the song right before the line during which he ripped off her costume.”

“So, it was almost like he was trying to erase what had happened in the past, but that is just not flying in 2018,” she continued.

According to Powers, Timberlake embodies “white male privilege” because his music does not reflect the “moment of struggle” that the country is apparently in now in 2018.

“[W]e are living in a moment of struggle, and we want our pop music to also reflect that struggle,” said Powers. “And, frankly, Timberlake now embodies that phrase so often spoken today: white male privilege. It’s just not a good look for 2018, and it’s really, in some ways, not his fault. It's just who he is."

http://freebeacon.com/culture/npr-timberlake-white-privilege-halftime-moment/

-----

Taxpayer dollars, out-of-touch with the majority of Americans, etc.

"Moment of struggle", lol. Somebody remind this Hibernian shrew that Trotsky got a icepick in the brain for his troubles, the permanent revolution ended a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back