Non-Christians, or Non-Abrahamic Religious Folks, in the WR?

my dad lists himself as a Weightbeertarian on forms

as in he lifts heavy amounts of weights and loves beer

sounds legit IMO
since many of yall have seen my pics and may wonder 'aren't you skinny as hell'? yes, yes I am. but I guess the swollness skipped a generation

I'm firmly agnostic, leaning towards atheist. I absolutely believe in science and education. I think all religions are just things that ancient humans made up to explain the world around them before they had science to do that for them. It's a societal evolution. We started with a god for everything. A god for the Sun, Earth, Moon, Wind, Water, Fire, Poop. Everything. Then eventually we consolidated those Gods into one god for everything. Every culture has their own little belief system that gets passed down each generation.

All of it's wrong though and there's never been anything in our history that can be verified as supernatural. I don't know what caused the energy that allowed the big bang. I don't know what happens when entropy occurs and the heat death of the universe occurs. What I do know is that this story of a god who created everything instantly and sent his son down to do magic tricks and die after everything he created didn't happen exactly as he wanted even though he can supposedly do anything is a load of bullshit.

The future of our world is in science. Religion is in the past. Science is constantly evolving and getting more advanced. We know basically how the brain works and how we "think" and react to our environment. We know basically how life evolved on this planet. We know basically how the universe was created. There's a few unanswered questions that I would love science to solve, but that doesn't mean there has to be a god. I've yet to see anything that makes me think I should trust people who wrote the bible or any other religious document.

People believe in religion because they are scared little children who can't take the idea that there's no larger reason for our existence. They have to inject some purpose into our being here, otherwise their little pea-brains can't handle it.

I don't have any respect for an adult who tells me that someone walked around 2017 years ago and did magic tricks for god (while being god) so he could die for "our" sins. If you believe any of that shit happened, you're a man-child and I just don't respect you as an adult. Grow the fuck up people. There isn't magic or demons or anything like that. We just have this boring little planet with these boring scientific explanations for what happened.

And what would those be if you don't mind me asking?

In short, metaphysical objectivism, anti- nominalism and a profound appreciation of ordered hierarchy, which gives structure to all life, upwards striving or downwards striving.

Was a hardcore atheist most of my adult life and studied German at University so I could read Nietzsche in the original.

Then at 38 I was gifted the opportunity to experience God as the only one thing that is not nothing.

Alive, lonely, and loving.

I may be psychotic, but I believe we are each an ego consciousness separate only as an illusion, perhaps experiment, perhaps self imprisoned. I am trying to act as if at the "end" of eternity I will be fully living the life of each other person I meet.

Spinoza had it too I think. And PKD. My "church" is syncretic but close to Thelema.

If you don't mind what brought this on?

In short, metaphysical objectivism, anti- nominalism and a profound appreciation of ordered hierarchy, which gives structure to all life, upwards striving or downwards striving.
Do you worship Deepak Chopra?

The future of our world is in science. Religion is in the past. Science is constantly evolving and getting more advanced. We know basically how the brain works and how we "think" and react to our environment. We know basically how life evolved on this planet. We know basically how the universe was created. There's a few unanswered questions that I would love science to solve, but that doesn't mean there has to be a god. I've yet to see anything that makes me think I should trust people who wrote the bible or any other religious document.

People believe in religion because they are scared little children who can't take the idea that there's no larger reason for our existence. They have to inject some purpose into our being here, otherwise their little pea-brains can't handle it.

Oh really?

I'm firmly agnostic, leaning towards atheist. I absolutely believe in science and education. I think all religions are just things that ancient humans made up to explain the world around them before they had science to do that for them. It's a societal evolution. We started with a god for everything. A god for the Sun, Earth, Moon, Wind, Water, Fire, Poop. Everything. Then eventually we consolidated those Gods into one god for everything. Every culture has their own little belief system that gets passed down each generation.

All of it's wrong though and there's never been anything in our history that can be verified as supernatural. I don't know what caused the energy that allowed the big bang. I don't know what happens when entropy occurs and the heat death of the universe occurs. What I do know is that this story of a god who created everything instantly and sent his son down to do magic tricks and die after everything he created didn't happen exactly as he wanted even though he can supposedly do anything is a load of bullshit.

I don't have any respect for an adult who tells me that someone walked around 2017 years ago and did magic tricks for god (while being god) so he could die for "our" sins. If you believe any of that shit happened, you're a man-child and I just don't respect you as an adult. Grow the fuck up people. There isn't magic or demons or anything like that. We just have this boring little planet with these boring scientific explanations for what happened.

Thanks, good read. I appreciate the effort to summarise how you feel and see things,. Nothing is more valuable than opinion, it is one sign of free thought.

On saying that I always find it a worry when I see/hear/read the absolutism in any expression of opinion. I see no reason not to respect someone because they believe in something I don't even if I think it's shit. If you think/feel that way how do you travel and see other cultures?

If anything I respect them for the strength of will/emotion that enables the to stay true to the course despite all the evidence around them stating otherwise. This is afterall the mindset that birthed science. That rebellious nature, the refusal to conform even at the risk of death.

It would be a rare person that hasn't had a strange experience that cannot be explained (by today's science).

One day future scientists may view today's scientists as bumbling, inept fools who worshiped a process more than the result.

If you don't mind what brought this on?

Part of me wants to be a smartass and say everything. Assigning a cause would require a definition of a "me" and a belief in linear time, which most people have.

My ego would cite deep reading of Phillip K Dick as a major influence softening my atheism. Then I meet a woman that I had some inexplicable psychic communication with. We are now married and through this relationship I learned how to meditate. During a group meditation ceremony intended to help people glimpse beyond our usual senses, I sort of fell out of my ego for about 45 minutes and was conscious of our shared spirit, one thing, of which all the major religions have some partial grasp of and different names for. Christ consciousness. The Tao Te Ching seems the least wrong text I have read, but Christ's empahsis on love and compassion is a must. We have created a lot of pain to understand and live through.

I spent a year studying goedels incompleteness theroem and still don't understand it, but it sure as shit shoots all kind of holes in your typical dimestore Dawkinisms.

Last edited:
I would love to join a group dancing praying for rain would be so radical for me. I think its fun

Bit like fishing I think, only fun when you catch something/get a return on investment.

Jumping around in the dust thirsty, no thanks good luck to that.

Oh really?

Really. Neuroscience has made incredible leaps in progress over the last few decades. They absolutely know a LOT about how our brain works and responds to the environment. They don't know everything, but they have enough figured out to show that it's capable of doing everything with basic chemical reactions.

Thanks, good read. I appreciate the effort to summarise how you feel and see things,. Nothing is more valuable than opinion, it is one sign of free thought.

On saying that I always find it a worry when I see/hear/read the absolutism in any expression of opinion. I see no reason not to respect someone because they believe in something I don't even if I think it's shit. If you think/feel that way how do you travel and see other cultures?

If anything I respect them for the strength of will/emotion that enables the to stay true to the course despite all the evidence around them stating otherwise. This is afterall the mindset that birthed science. That rebellious nature, the refusal to conform even at the risk of death.

It would be a rare person that hasn't had a strange experience that cannot be explained (by today's science).

One day future scientists may view today's scientists as bumbling, inept fools who worshiped a process more than the result.

I've absolutely never had a single experience in my life that could even remotely be defined as something that could only be caused by something paranormal. Honestly, I don't believe people when they say they have experiences like that without proof. Anytime experiences/abilities like that are tested with the most basic scientific rigor, it turns out to be nothing. There's never been anything that's physically changed the environment that couldn't be solved with science. There's no video/photo's of supernatural events occurring.

I just do the bullshit test with things like this. If someone today came up to you and told you that some girl in the middle east had a kid, but the father was god and you weren't allowed to do any modern testing to verify it, would you believe them or say she's fucking some boy down the street? If someone today came and told you some guy said some other guy in the middle east was making food appear and all sorts of other magic but you couldn't use any modern testing to verify, would you believe it? You wouldn't accept any of those same stories if they were told today without serious scrutiny. So why am I going to believe some story just because people wrote it down a few thousand years ago? There's nothing outside of those stories to suggest there's anyone with godly powers.

If someone has honestly had an experience in their adult life (not a 5 year old) that couldn't possibly be explained with science and reason, then I haven't heard it. I also would say they are hallucinating before I believed they saw something. Shit if I saw something and couldn't get independent verification, I would question my mind before I went to paranormal/god. I've just noticed that people who really want to believe in the stuff seem to have more of those experiences than true skeptics.

Really though, I don't have much respect for religious people. I accept that you're free to believe what you want. You only have one life so do what makes you happy. I just think they're being superstitious and gullible because they want that purpose in their life. Nobody wants to just be an accident with no purpose. Nobody wants to die and have everything go black. Some people just seem more willing to make up happy stories than just wait for science to give them the facts.

I live and breath science. It's opened my world and done way more for explaining this world than any religion ever has.

My ego would cite deep reading of Phillip K Dick as a major influence softening my atheism. Then I meet a woman that I had some inexplicable psychic communication with. We are now married and through this relationship I learned how to meditate. During a group meditation ceremony intended to help people glimpse beyond our usual senses, I sort of fell out of my ego for about 45 minutes and was conscious of our shared spirit, one thing, of which all the major religions have some partial grasp of and different names for. Christ consciousness. The Tao Te Ching seems the least wrong text I have read, but Christ's empahsis on love and compassion is a must. We have created a lot of pain to understand and live through.
There are scientific studies done on this. It is explainable by neuroscience/cognitive science. There is nothing magical/sprirtual/supernatural about what you experienced. It can even be induced in a lab without the need of hours of meditation.

I'll search for the study. It was a long time ago.

There are scientific studies done on this. It is explainable by neuroscience/cognitive science. There is nothing magical/sprirtual/supernatural about what you experienced. It can even be induced in a lab without the need of hours of meditation.

I'll search for the study. It was a long time ago.

Ohhhh *hours* of meditation. Yup sure quick in and out. What a waste of time. Just go to a lab. Damn I love Sherdog.

Well why is he sold as good?
Because humans.

Humanity likes stories. It's the oldest story there is. Doom and gloom isn't good for societies and religion has played a role in societies forever, some religions more prevalent than others.

my dad lists himself as a Weightbeertarian on forms

as in he lifts heavy amounts of weights and loves beer

sounds legit IMO
since many of yall have seen my pics and may wonder 'aren't you skinny as hell'? yes, yes I am. but I guess the swollness skipped a generation
<2>

Really. Neuroscience has made incredible leaps in progress over the last few decades. They absolutely know a LOT about how our brain works and responds to the environment. They don't know everything, but they have enough figured out to show that it's capable of doing everything with basic chemical reactions.

I've absolutely never had a single experience in my life that could even remotely be defined as something that could only be caused by something paranormal. Honestly, I don't believe people when they say they have experiences like that without proof. Anytime experiences/abilities like that are tested with the most basic scientific rigor, it turns out to be nothing. There's never been anything that's physically changed the environment that couldn't be solved with science. There's no video/photo's of supernatural events occurring.

I just do the bullshit test with things like this. If someone today came up to you and told you that some girl in the middle east had a kid, but the father was god and you weren't allowed to do any modern testing to verify it, would you believe them or say she's fucking some boy down the street? If someone today came and told you some guy said some other guy in the middle east was making food appear and all sorts of other magic but you couldn't use any modern testing to verify, would you believe it? You wouldn't accept any of those same stories if they were told today without serious scrutiny. So why am I going to believe some story just because people wrote it down a few thousand years ago? There's nothing outside of those stories to suggest there's anyone with godly powers.

If someone has honestly had an experience in their adult life (not a 5 year old) that couldn't possibly be explained with science and reason, then I haven't heard it. I also would say they are hallucinating before I believed they saw something. Shit if I saw something and couldn't get independent verification, I would question my mind before I went to paranormal/god. I've just noticed that people who really want to believe in the stuff seem to have more of those experiences than true skeptics.

Really though, I don't have much respect for religious people. I accept that you're free to believe what you want. You only have one life so do what makes you happy. I just think they're being superstitious and gullible because they want that purpose in their life. Nobody wants to just be an accident with no purpose. Nobody wants to die and have everything go black. Some people just seem more willing to make up happy stories than just wait for science to give them the facts.

I live and breath science. It's opened my world and done way more for explaining this world than any religion ever has.

I live life and breathe air anything else is a delusionary belief.

I don't expect you to believe anything, certainly not something I don't believe in. If there is any true to any of the old stories it is in an analogy and not factual. Most times I can barely tolerate anyone but my problem is the scorn I see from the Richard Dawkins of the world and the people you cry Science. That same mindfulness is the same as whats behind fundamental regelions.
30 years ago it was scientifically proven that nuts were bad for you and so was butter, now that science has been de bunked and the opposite proven true.

I can't say the same, I have lost track of the times I am thinking/feeling in a certain way of someone and than they call/email. Obviously this can be co incidence and the first 10 times I think everyone puts it down to that, enough though and co incidence becomes a slight pattern.

I asked how you go about immersing yourself in other countries? How you go about minimising your scorn and contempt for these poor simpletons who see the word different from you. The thing to think about is some of these cultures in one form or another have been going for a lot longer than we have and are relatively happy, do you like it when someone lectures you or treats you with distain when you have a drink or smoke ? and start lecturing you that its not needed, bad for you, isn't rightSame thing, its done because it makes the person feel better.

Of note- I am not religious and if I had one I hated more than others it would be Buddhism as I see it as the religion of the selfish. Each to their own though and what ever gets a person through the day. For you it is intellectualism and science for him its a big god who is all powerful, her .... what ever how gives a fuck as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Back