Non-Christians, or Non-Abrahamic Religious Folks, in the WR?

Was baptised a Catholic but don't really care for anything spiritual.

Sad to admit it, but I don't think I have ever thought about it more than 5 mn.

I just don't have it in me to care about a god.
That being said so far Greek mythology is the only religion that has inspired me because I found it more "human". It also talks more about what impresses me, notions such as glory, valour, honour, power, etc.
It also has gods and semi gods hating each other, mortals challenging gods, etc. Fits more into my personal philosophy on so many levels.

I also don't group Christianity along with Islam in terms of violence because I'm not mind-blowingly delusional

makes more sense with these contemporary faiths.

how do you feel about them historically?

Most likely but we truly do not know.
We can know. We don't need 100% absolute certainty in order to know.

We can know that p without p being epistemically certain. And you can be psychologically certain that p without p being epistemically certain.

have your Buddhist brothers and sisters explained the concept of samsara and nirvana?

as far as beliefs go, I find theirs to be rather elegant

Yes, however, I am far from competent on the nuanced spiritual and mythological points of Buddhism.

It can be realistic if you take out the fact that God isn't all good, just all powerful.

Or all good in a sense that we could understand, would make sense in human terms, and/or as well in the totality of fate or lack thereof.

Before anyone jumps on that with arguments to rapist pedophiles, holocausts, or rapist pedophile holocausts, it may be worth considering how selfless even a well intentioned person might be in the absence of guidance, faith, or what is required for whatever major religion they adhere to. In the sense of a Muslim, Buddhist, Christian they may make pretexts for violence, greed, and whatever to get whatever they want, but that is not the "straight path" as Islam would call it, and if you have met a true man of God, you will find only love, patience, and peace.

Or just imagine a SJW warrior shouting back and forth with a Trumper in an endless vortex of amplified sound... forever... then you will know that hell exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or all good in a sense that we could understand, would make sense in human terms, and/or as well in the totality of fate or lack thereof.

As I understand it God is everything and everything is God. I joke that God got bored and does bad things to itself just to feel everything that could be felt. We are where the rubber meets the road and it hurts, especially when something bad happens, and we made the choices to set up.

As I understand it God is everything and everything is God. I joke that God got bored and does bad things to itself just to feel everything that could be felt. We are where the rubber meets the road and it hurts, especially when something bad happens, and we made the choices to set up.

That reminds me of an old David Bowie song (I guess they are all old now?) that talked about a "Savior Machine" that was created to manage all of the worlds problems. The machine became self aware, and quickly wanted to create destruction due to the inherent inertia of a perfect world as we would understand a perfect world to be.

That reminds me of an old David Bowie song (I guess they are all old now?) that talked about a "Savior Machine" that was created to manage all of the worlds problems. The machine became self aware, and quickly wanted to create destruction due to the inherent inertia of a perfect world as we would understand a perfect world to be.

We can know that p without p being epistemically certain. And you can be psychologically certain that p without p being epistemically certain.
XBmXBPN.gif

Agnostic. Regardless of whether there is a creator or not, I am convinced that at a fundamental level, everything in the universe is interconnected. The Higgs field must permeate all of spacetime, I think, so that might have something to do with it. I think if humanity doesn't get wiped out by an epochal disaster, we can eventually figure it out. The scientific method is based upon the idea that at the deepest level, the universe makes sense, i.e. that what happens within it follows rules. Further with the right experiments and with logic we can figure out what those rules are. So far, it's been uncannily reliable. Some guy figured out the math we'd need to send a rocket to the moon 400 years ago*.

See The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences, for an interesting take on that. I don't think we're going to find any sort of ultimate solution anytime soon, mind you, but with computers and the ability to potentially retain accumulated knowledge forever, it seems inevitable if we survive long enough. So, I guess my religion is science. The difference, however, is that I'm prepared for my religion to make mistakes from time to time, but mistakes only improve understanding. Something that doesn't seem to occur to anti-science people is that most of the best science is when scientists deliberately go looking for mistakes in their theory in order to find inconsistencies. That's the experimental part. Things that don't fit the theory point to new science. Each time a new more consistent theory is established, we gain an even greater understanding of the Universe we inhabit. To me, that's pretty awesome. If there was a creator, it hit the switch and disappeared because it was made to evolve completely on its own, no divine intervention required. Note, I'm not a believer in the Singularity, necessarily. It seems far fetched.

*More or less.

Last edited:
Absolutely not.

Why would I be distressed that many different good people in many different good ways in many different parts of the world could find peace, happiness, and the love of something greater than themselves?

"Absolutely not" about what?

I didn't ask anyone if they were "distressed" or not. I didn't mention if anyone found a "peace and happy slappy in... whatever".

I brought up a valid point about the FACT that all but one (if not all) of these religions are just fairy tales.

Oh and if all religion was just a guide book to sing songs and be merry than I and everyone else would back off. But unfortunately that's not the case. Religion has been used to EFF humanity harder than anything in history.

Last edited:
Agnostic. Nobody knows what th hell happens, and it only causes rifts between us when we act like we do.

If you listen to a good theologian, many make good points for their side, but we cannot all be right.

Same, went from believing to atheist to agnostic. I conceded that I don't know what happens, but what I do know, is I highly doubt it's whatever is in the fairytale book that religions push.

It can be realistic if you take out the fact that God isn't all good, just all powerful.
The reason people get uppity over it is that they want to be the arbiter of what's good and bad. God is all good, all the time. Being all good doesn't mean pandering to idiots and evildoers.

I am very spiritual but I left religion and all its dogma long ago.

That said there are good teachings in the bible. Do unto others and all that.

The reason people get uppity over it is that they want to be the arbiter of what's good and bad. God is all good, all the time. Being all good doesn't mean pandering to idiots and evildoers.

"God" does not exist. It is the figment of human beings imaginations.

<{Messi3}>

Back