Nick Newell gets Contender Series nod from Dana White

I like Newell. His story is amazing. But, if he gets bodied inside of the octagon, a shit storm will follow.

What..? Respect to the kid but who wants to see someone with an arm or a leg missing compete in cage fighting. Kinda sick if you ask me and I’ve been watching this shit for over 10 years

Good for him he's earned the chance and could have been signed without a great performance on DWTNF's.

It's sad with all the little kids on Sherdog you can't actually have a decent conversation about a fighter like Nick,Cyborg,Wmma or lighter weights without half the posts being childish "jokes".

20180309-DSC03048-Edit.0.0.jpg

It might not be the UFC, but it’s one step closer.

UFC president Dana White has extended an offer to Nick Newell for a Tuesday Night Contender Series fight this summer, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed Wednesday night. An impressive victory there would surely lead to a UFC contract. ESPN was the first to report the news.

“I want to thank Dana White, Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard for believing in me and giving me a shot,” Newell told Helwani. “I still have to go out there and deliver. I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...ies-nod-from-dana-white-now-one-step-from-ufc
with nick career he should have to do that. the idea of the show is to find young prospects.

why not just give nick a shot at tuf finale. maybe dana is hoping nick would be a rating spike online

Right, that's what a lot of us were saying 3 years ago.

When he was 10-0 in WSOF and very active Dana completely scoffed at the idea of him even being on TUF. He's had one fight in the last 3 years. How else do you explain the sudden change?

nick did retire for a while.

I really like this guy and his story, but did you people not see him get tuned the fuck up by Gatjhe? It was hard to watch...

He might be legit and an inspirational fighter but imo he shouldnt fight in the UFC, he is good, but isnt fair for anyone, him and surely not his rivals, i mean if they win, well...dude didnt had one arm, if they lose is even worse...Legit fighter, could had been great if he had his full arm, but it shouldnt fight the best of them, Gaethje beat him and he isnt racking up wins in the UFC.

If he could get those nodules removed that stub would be like a spear

This'll give UFC good publicity, something it hasn't had in quite a while.
I'm sure someone will figure out a way to reverse that ... like "The UFC lowballs disabled athlete!!" <45> and I guarantee the moment he fights for the UFC people will use that to shit on the company some more. Can't win no matter what you do, fair play to them for giving him his chance.

with nick career he should have to do that. the idea of the show is to find young prospects.

why not just give nick a shot at tuf finale. maybe dana is hoping nick would be a rating spike online
who said the show was about finding young prospects? it's called "Contender Series" not "Prospect Series"

who said the show was about finding young prospects? it's called "Contender Series" not "Prospect Series"

I get not all fighters on it are 20 years old but almost all them come from lfa which is a prospect feeder group to get people to the ufc.

Back