Nick Newell gets Contender Series nod from Dana White

Does he gets penalized if he throws a jab and it pokes his opponents eyes?

Right, that's what a lot of us were saying 3 years ago.

When he was 10-0 in WSOF and very active Dana completely scoffed at the idea of him even being on TUF. He's had one fight in the last 3 years. How else do you explain the sudden change?
Dana also once famously said that there would never be women in the UFC and look where we are now. It's often a good thing when people change their mind.

Good for him... Never heard of him complaining about his disability. Pure #Heart !!!

You think if he blasts his opponent and has a great performance they won't offer him a contract?

I don't see Newell beating any of the UFC's top 15 LW's. Not even sure who's ranked 15-20 but I suspect I'd favor them over Newell as well.

Awarding him a UFC contract based on one win on Contender's Series is a blatant dick move on the UFC's part. Not because he got an offer, it's because of why the UFC's giving it to him.

20180309-DSC03048-Edit.0.0.jpg

It might not be the UFC, but it’s one step closer.

UFC president Dana White has extended an offer to Nick Newell for a Tuesday Night Contender Series fight this summer, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed Wednesday night. An impressive victory there would surely lead to a UFC contract. ESPN was the first to report the news.

“I want to thank Dana White, Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard for believing in me and giving me a shot,” Newell told Helwani. “I still have to go out there and deliver. I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...ies-nod-from-dana-white-now-one-step-from-ufc

<Varys01> <Ellaria01>

On his left arm, are those underdeveloped fingers that I'm looking at?

Last edited:
Glad this is happening.

That's the only reason he is doing this IMO besides maybe some prodding from WME/others that feel this might bring some good publicity.

A few years ago when this was brought up he always seemed to be totally dismissive and almost disgusted for even having to answer the question. A lot of the Dana parrot sheep use to act the same way. I wonder how they feel now.

It's a weird time to have a change of heart in terms of his career. He was very active and won a ton of fights when Dana completely refused and thought it was a ridiculous idea. He's been inactive for 3 years before his most recent fight when Dana changes his mind.

I have seen a few of his fights and I believe that he'll find some success in the UFC but not to a great extent. He'll end up hitting a ceiling in the UFC where the talent is just too great Granted he has had serious success outside of the big leagues but I just can't see him taking out any top guys in the division.

I don't see Newell beating any of the UFC's top 15 LW's. Not even sure who's ranked 15-20 but I suspect I'd favor them over Newell as well.

Awarding him a UFC contract based on one win on Contender's Series is a blatant dick move on the UFC's part. Not because he got an offer, it's because of why the UFC's giving it to him.
I mean, that's your take on it but if Newell is cool with these terms I don't see where the issue is. He's earned a chance on his own merits, but I'm sure a number of the guys that have been on this contenders thing can say the same thing. I'm sure if he performs well in the UFC they'll treat him like anybody else. I don't see how the top 15 has anything to do with this? Maybe he can hang with those guys or maybe he can't but not everyone in the UFC are elite title contenders.

Dude has some savage finishes.

Have enjoyed his scraps and looking forward to more.

I have seen a few of his fights and I believe that he'll find some success in the UFC but not to a great extent. He'll end up hitting a ceiling in the UFC where the talent is just too great Granted he has had serious success outside of the big leagues but I just can't see him taking out any top guys in the division.
I will go out on a limb Andy say he can beat Alvarez.

Back