Nick Newell gets Contender Series nod from Dana White

NandoMoura

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
20180309-DSC03048-Edit.0.0.jpg

It might not be the UFC, but it’s one step closer.

UFC president Dana White has extended an offer to Nick Newell for a Tuesday Night Contender Series fight this summer, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed Wednesday night. An impressive victory there would surely lead to a UFC contract. ESPN was the first to report the news.

“I want to thank Dana White, Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard for believing in me and giving me a shot,” Newell told Helwani. “I still have to go out there and deliver. I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...ies-nod-from-dana-white-now-one-step-from-ufc

Dana will send him home with a Reebok coupon and a pat on the back

This'll give UFC good publicity, something it hasn't had in quite a while.

Nice. This will make for an interesting Tim eon the MMAHoles podcast tonight.

Glad this is happening.
This'll give UFC good publicity, something it hasn't had in quite a while.
That's the only reason he is doing this IMO besides maybe some prodding from WME/others that feel this might bring some good publicity.

A few years ago when this was brought up he always seemed to be totally dismissive and almost disgusted for even having to answer the question. A lot of the Dana parrot sheep use to act the same way. I wonder how they feel now.

It's a weird time to have a change of heart in terms of his career. He was very active and won a ton of fights when Dana completely refused and thought it was a ridiculous idea. He's been inactive for 3 years before his most recent fight when Dana changes his mind.

I really, really want to believe the UFC isn't exploiting this to draw viewers.

20180309-DSC03048-Edit.0.0.jpg

It might not be the UFC, but it’s one step closer.

UFC president Dana White has extended an offer to Nick Newell for a Tuesday Night Contender Series fight this summer, MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani confirmed Wednesday night. An impressive victory there would surely lead to a UFC contract. ESPN was the first to report the news.

“I want to thank Dana White, Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard for believing in me and giving me a shot,” Newell told Helwani. “I still have to go out there and deliver. I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...ies-nod-from-dana-white-now-one-step-from-ufc

Nice to see Dana giving him a helping hand ...

Too soon?

I really, really want to believe the UFC isn't exploiting this to draw viewers.

How can you think otherwise?

When he was 9 & 10-0 and very active before WME Dana completely dismissed him even being on TUF as ridiculous. He just had his first fight in 3 years.

Last edited:
I dont think nicks being exploited. He was in wsof but he proved himself legit and has beat alot of people, ironically with head chokes mostly. Its not like hes a 1 armed fighter, he even punches with the nub of his arm. The guy is pretty good and doesnt show his disability in his fights.

Awesome news. He deserves a shot.

Nice to see him get a shot at the big leagues with a win. If he gets into the UFC they can promote the shit out of him.

i have to be honest, it isnt a great idea imho. hope nick does well tho

After he gets in the UFC, everyones gonna be watching his fights.

Hope they pay him stacks.

I dont think nicks being exploited. He was in wsof but he proved himself legit and has beat alot of people, ironically with head chokes mostly. Its not like hes a 1 armed fighter, he even punches with the nub of his arm. The guy is pretty good and doesnt show his disability in his fights.

Right, that's what a lot of us were saying 3 years ago.

When he was 10-0 in WSOF and very active Dana completely scoffed at the idea of him even being on TUF. He's had one fight in the last 3 years. How else do you explain the sudden change?

Good. I think he is talented and he can do well in UFC. I seen most of his WSOF fights and he is talented for sure. I don't think he really needs to even go on contender series. He should be signed directly to UFC roster.

Awesome, Nick Newell is a huge inspiration to me. When I get bummed out about my injuries I try to remind myself what guys like Newell who were born with handicaps have accomplished against all odds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back