THE NEW MUTANTS Movie (First Critic Review; In Theaters Aug. 28)

If you have seen THE NEW MUTANTS, how would you rate it?

• 9 - Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 - Good

• 5 - Average/Meh/Mediocre

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 1 - Abysmal

• Total voters
Normally I don't care about the ethnicity of actors, like I am totally down with black Heimdall and Valkyrie. But Native ancestry is key to Mirage's character. So good call. Plus the SJW outrage would have been really bad for business if they had gone a different route.

Normally I don't care about the ethnicity of actors, like I am totally down with black Heimdall and Valkyrie. But Native ancestry is key to Mirage's character. So good call. Plus the SJW outrage would have been really bad for business if they had gone a different route.
I was more than fine with black Heimdall and black Torch, but not black Valkyrie. I would have tipped an e-table if they didn't cast a Native American as Mirage.

I was more than fine with black Heimdall and black Torch, but not black Valkyrie. I would have tipped an e-table if they didn't cast a Native American as Mirage.
Same with James and John Proudstar. When the character is built around ethnic heritage it is key to the character and thus casting.

You wouldn't cast Mat Damon as the Black Panther.

Same with James and John Proudstar. When the character is built around ethnic heritage it is key to the character and thus casting.

Even though Damon could easily pull it off, I agree. Grudgingly, but I agree.

Don't worry, all the comic book characters of different ethnicities are safe and will be cast faithfully... except for white characters. :D

It's interesting they seemed to find it so hard to cast an authentic native in the role.

I used to watch Longmire and they had a rotating cast of extras and supporting characters who would have fit the bill.

Don't worry, all the comic book characters of different ethnicities are safe and will be cast faithfully... except for white characters. :D
Yeah. As a Russian I think Taylor-Joy is a bad candidate for the role of Russian girl. I think Shaun Bean as a Cossack in GoldenEye was a silly casting choice too. I mean both of them looks non-Russian as hell.
It's a bit annoying when in European or Hollywood movies Russians are played by some Serbian/Southern Slavic (they have specific looks and weird non-Russian noses) actors or by Jewish actors, who can speak Russian but at the same time looks like shaved Osama bin Laden.

Update: June 29, 2017

Alice Braga Joins NEW MUTANTS as Rosario Dawson Exits

bH7Yl7Z.jpg

Alice Braga has joined the cast of Josh Boone's X-Men spinoff, New Mutants.

Braga, who stars in USA's Queen of the South, is stepping into the role initially inhabited by Rosario Dawson, who has exited the project. The reason for the departure is unclear.

The Witch and Split star Anya Taylor-Joy, Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams and Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton are toplining the project, which also has 13 Reasons Why actor Henry Zaga and relative newcomer Blu Hunt in leading roles.

The studio is intent at taking a horror-thriller approach to the spinoff as it seeks to infuse its X-Men slate with distinct flavors a la Deadpool and Logan. Mutants, drawing heavily on the 1980s comic book works by Chris Claremont, Bob McLeod and Bill Sienkiewicz, will tell of five diverse teens learning to cope with their superpowers who must escape a secret facility where they are being held against their will.

Braga will play Dr. Cecilia Reyes, a medical doctor who has the ability to generate a protective bio-field around herself but also has more going on than she lets on.

New Mutants has a release date of April 13, 2018. Boone and his writing partner, Knate Lee, wrote the script for the project, which is set to shoot in July in Boston.

Brazil-born Braga has appeared in movies such as I Am Legend with Will Smith, Predators and Elysium. Queen of the South is in the midst of its second season.

Alice Braga Joins 'New Mutants' as Rosario Dawson Exits (Exclusive)

Update: September 12, 2017

Director Josh Boone Shares Bloody Logo for THE NEW MUTANTS

Update: September 20, 2017

NEW MUTANTS Described as a Haunted House Movie with Hormonal Teenagers

3GC4gGH.jpg

The X-Men movies franchise is taking a decidedly different approach with its new spinoff, New Mutants.

New Mutants recently wrapped filming, but not much is known about the details of its plot just yet. However, when asked about the threat of superhero fatigue, 20th Century Fox CEO Stacey Snider revealed some new information about what the film will be like.

"If we’re going to make a superhero movie, we have to ask ourselves: 'What’s our version? What’s a Fox Marvel film?'," Snider told Variety. "When you look at films like Deadpool or Logan or the upcoming New Mutants, you’ll see they have their own personality."

"Great effort has been put into making sure they’re differentiated," Snider continued. "New Mutants is about these teenagers who are just coming into their powers. It’s like watching mutants go through adolescence and they have no impulse control, so they’re dangerous. The only solution is to put them in a Breakfast Club detention/Cuckoo’s Nest institutional setting. It protects the people on the outside, but it’s strange and combustible inside. The genre is like a haunted-house movie with a bunch of hormonal teenagers. We haven’t seen it as a superhero movie whose genre is more like The Shining than 'we’re teenagers let’s save the world.'"

This description fits well with what little we do know about the New Mutants movie, which is that it is loosely based on the New Mutants comic book story "The Demon Bear Saga." That story sees the New Mutants attacked by a psychic entity that feeds on their negative emotions.

'New Mutants' Is A Haunted House Movie With Horny Teenagers

Back