NASCAR is dying

How was it ever popular?

F1 is so much better.

F1 is dying even faster. It is a rich person's game to even go to a race. They have a tough time getting 20 cars and only 6 of the 20 are competitive. It's all about qualifying. The race itself is basically a parade. Nobody can pass. After the first lap, the race is over.

Money has killed NASCAR. Even going to a race gets extremely expensive. Room rates for a race weekend get jacked up to 4 or 5 times the normal rate and many places require 4 night reservation. Campgrounds are the same way. They do the same thing here when there are special events. I was checking a hotel near me and could get a room this weekend for $56/night but the same room on the second weekend in July is going for $225/night and a 3 night minimum.

Lifetime car guy here who couldn’t care lesss about NASCAR, nor does a single person I know.

But you're a drag queen. Can't turn a corner or go farther than 1/4 mile.

I've seen WAY worse than watching them drive in a circle.

When I was in Italy, we all climbed up a hill and watched a cross-country race. We literally watched cars whip past thirty or forty yards of track. Once.

Europeans like to wait around for hours to watch young men in spandex ride by on bicycles. At least they allow people to carry in food and drinks.

Some tracks quit allowing that and the food and drinks available at the tracks are very expensive.

We have air shows every couple of years here. The Blue Angels are here this weekend. The first time they had it was in the 1980s. The Jaycees set it up and ran it. Several organizations had food and drink stands like the scouts, optimists, Shriners, Masons, church groups etc and they all made a lot of money for their organizations. In the following years, everybody got greedier, wanting to get paid to have concession stands instead of just the profits. They found a company that would pay them to bring in concessions under the condition that they didn't allow any carry ins. They didn't ask what prices would be. They charged $7 for a 20oz bottle of water or any other liquid. The next time they had the airshow, attendance was way down and they lost money.

Are you serious? Thats the first time i heard cruise ships being bad for environment, would you want every ship including cargo ships o die off too? Cruise ships are no longer older folks, hipsters and college frat and sorierty people use them now. I saw it on a business report on entrepreneur, the old people are actually complaining because young people are traveling on cruise ships more and more. So its likely not going to go out of business. They are getting more popular.
cargo ships are a necessary evil. Cruise ships are an obscene indulgence. And those reports of "millennials" taking over cruise ships are clickbait designed to draw younger people to a dying industry. Tidwell, you consume way too sensationalist media that is rotting your brain.

Europeans like to wait around for hours to watch young men in spandex ride by on bicycles. At least they allow people to carry in food and drinks.

Some tracks quit allowing that and the food and drinks available at the tracks are very expensive.

We have air shows every couple of years here. The Blue Angels are here this weekend. The first time they had it was in the 1980s. The Jaycees set it up and ran it. Several organizations had food and drink stands like the scouts, optimists, Shriners, Masons, church groups etc and they all made a lot of money for their organizations. In the following years, everybody got greedier, wanting to get paid to have concession stands instead of just the profits. They found a company that would pay them to bring in concessions under the condition that they didn't allow any carry ins. They didn't ask what prices would be. They charged $7 for a 20oz bottle of water or any other liquid. The next time they had the airshow, attendance was way down and they lost money.

You know, I don't have a problem with people wanting to make money on a show, but seven dollar bottles of water should be enough evidence to convict on capital charges.

That's a bit more expensive than what they charge in cinemas here in Montreal, it's far more than a soda, so I buy a soda, empty it out, clean the container and fill it at the fountain.

F1 is dying even faster. It is a rich person's game to even go to a race. They have a tough time getting 20 cars and only 6 of the 20 are competitive. It's all about qualifying. The race itself is basically a parade. Nobody can pass. After the first lap, the race is over.

Money has killed NASCAR. Even going to a race gets extremely expensive. Room rates for a race weekend get jacked up to 4 or 5 times the normal rate and many places require 4 night reservation. Campgrounds are the same way. They do the same thing here when there are special events. I was checking a hotel near me and could get a room this weekend for $56/night but the same room on the second weekend in July is going for $225/night and a 3 night minimum.

I just think because F1 is more international it will go on. Where as i dont see why anyone watches constant left turns and no diversity. Qualifying is the cool part. The prior 2x and then final race.

Also depends on track course

cargo ships are a necessary evil. Cruise ships are an obscene indulgence. And those reports of "millennials" taking over cruise ships are clickbait designed to draw younger people to a dying industry. Tidwell, you consume way too sensationalist media that is rotting your brain.
So you wearing a tinfoil hat now?

Somebody takes cruises because they keep building more and bigger ships.

Somebody takes cruises because they keep building more and bigger ships.
growth among its original audience has dwindled (middle class whites) so they are catering to growth in the developing world and their tourists. They will be the lifeline for another generation until they become sophisticated enough to see what a cornyass waste of money and resources it is to be stuck at sea with geriatrics.

They are however, exceptionally good at catering to the obese, much like Vegas. So this niche could keep them in business for a while longer. The seas crowded with the distended bellies of pensioners on navigating the deck on their Rascal scooters. Going from one buffet to another while basking like beached whales.

I just think because F1 is more international it will go on. Where as i dont see why anyone watches constant left turns and no diversity. Qualifying is the cool part. The prior 2x and then final race.

Also depends on track course

Formula One reveals television audience is down so far this year ...
https://www.independent.co.uk › Sport › Motor Racing › Formula 1
May 11, 2018 - Formula One reveals television audience is down so far this year despite a boost in on-track action ... F1 has lost viewers in Italy due to pay-TV channel Sky Italia ... in Brazil as its local hero Felipe Massa retired at the end of last year. ... Over the past decade the total number of viewers has crashed by 41.3% ...

The Daytona 500 NASCAR viewership is down 38% since 2006.

Formula One gets paid to race at a venue but they are finding fewer cities willing to pay them and maintain a track. It's one of the reasons Formula One was sold. 7 to ten year deals are made for races with the fee increasing annually. Silverstone is in it's final year of their contract and don't plan to renew without a better deal.

Grant: Silverstone is not alone struggling with F1 fees - Grand Prix 247

growth among its original audience has dwindled (middle class whites) so they are catering to growth in the developing world and their tourists. They will be the lifeline for another generation until they become sophisticated enough to see what a cornyass waste of money and resources it is to be stuck at sea with geriatrics.

They are however, exceptionally good at catering to the obese, much like Vegas. So this niche could keep them in business for a while longer. The seas crowded with the distended bellies of pensioners on navigating the deck on their Rascal scooters. Going from one buffet to another while basking like beached whales.

Cruises will never die, they build bigger ships with more luxury stuff and a lot of younger adults are going on these ships, a lot of rich people go on cruises not poor, and the older people have their own cruise lines, and then they have the family cruises, and then the young singles who like to party have their cruises like the Carnival Cruises Groove Cruise where they basically party non stop

816105bf0ce949061912d9cb9f79124d.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-12-07-at-12.42.53-PM.png

393A9835@veranmiky.jpg

img_1839photocred_veranmiky.jpg

img_7584photocred_handonam.jpg

Last edited:
Cruises will never die, they build bigger ships with more luxury stuff and a lot of younger adults are going on these ships, a lot of rich people go on cruises not poor, and the older people have their own cruise lines, and then they have the family cruises, and then the young singles who like to party have their cruises like the Carnival Cruises Groove Cruise where they basically party non stop

816105bf0ce949061912d9cb9f79124d.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-12-07-at-12.42.53-PM.png

393A9835@veranmiky.jpg

img_1839photocred_veranmiky.jpg

img_7584photocred_handonam.jpg

Do you think that really makes a dent on the global statistics? I could cherry pick images of packed country clubs with exclusive memberships but it still doesnt change the fact that golf is literally dying. Just like pics of parties from nightclubs doesnt change the fact that clubs are in drastic and irreversible decline. These are generational trends that can not be denied.

Seems like sports are dying. I think our upcoming generations prefer virtual sports to real sports.

I think Nascar is definitely one of those sports that would be way better if it was worked like pro wrestling, you could really make it bad ass if you created these wild characters and booked out crazy storylines and race outcomes through the season, predetermined races to add to the drama, it could be like roller derby in race cars.
Things like that used to happen without being predetermined

Earnhard gets passed with 3 laps to go and just goes hard into the corner to wreck him instead of passing him clean. Listen to all the boo’s at 3:45 and then he cuts a heel promo. It was all pro wrestling 101. Things like this used to happen all the time

Back