NASCAR is dying

Things like that used to happen without being predetermined

Earnhard gets passed with 3 laps to go and just goes hard into the corner to wreck him instead of passing him clean. Listen to all the boo’s at 3:45 and then he cuts a heel promo. It was all pro wrestling 101. Things like this used to happen all the time

Not to mention Earnhardt doing this to Labonte at the same track just a few years prior.

One thing I noticed about those 90s paint jobs is that they sure did get the sponsor across. They were simple but you knew exactly who the sponsor was from a long ways away. The paint jobs these days are so complex and busy that it's hard to tell who the sponsor even is half the time.

A buddy of mine had a pair of tickets so I went for the first time. I had a hard time keeping track of the action because it seemed like all the cars just blended together.
I like drag racing because my last two semi functioning brain cells can watch 2 cars go in a relatively straight line.

Do you think that really makes a dent on the global statistics? I could cherry pick images of packed country clubs with exclusive memberships but it still doesnt change the fact that golf is literally dying. Just like pics of parties from nightclubs doesnt change the fact that clubs are in drastic and irreversible decline. These are generational trends that can not be denied.

Where are you getting your info man, Cruise industry is never going to die, its a multiple billion dollar industry, rich people love cruises, families, young college students, its been a big industry for many years.

Says someone who couldn't survive 5 laps as a passenger in one of those cars let alone spend 3 or 4 hours in one at 120 degrees and 3 gs.
LOL I love this argument.

They're athletes because they get really hot and sweaty.

My 300 pound neighbor gets hot and sweaty walking up the stairs. Is she an athlete?

What if I can write an entire novel while sitting in a sauna? Most people can't do that so I'm sure that makes me an athlete.

What watching cars drive in a circle isn't fun!!!!
I AM SHOCKED!!!!!

All forms of racing are dying. It has gotten too expensive. Few young people are interested in racing or working on cars. They'd rather play video games. The sponsorships are drying up and testosterone levels are dropping.
I have to disagree about racing sports dying, racing like F1 and Motogp are alive well and kicking.

Nascar has to have some of the most loyal fans though. I'm not a fan personally. I just don't get sitting there watching cars go in circles for hours. It seems like the last few laps are all that matters.

As a former fan, there are three primary things I feel killed NASCAR.

One- cookie cutter tracks. Track owners need to maximize the amount of events they can hold, so the flat, 1.5 mile tracks are the most versatile. They can host races for numerous types of racing. NASCAR races on short tracks are everyone’s favorite, but investors don’t want to pay for a track that can only host one or two events/year.

Two- allowing speedway owners to buy their way into dictating where races are held, and when.

Three- Over saturation of the product. They got greedy when popularity exploded in the early 2000s and over-sold the product.

NASCAR racing in the 90’s up to 2001 was a load of fun. Once they yuppies took over, it was all downhill.

I have to disagree about racing sports dying, racing like F1 and Motogp are alive well and kicking.

Apparently you haven't read the thread. Formula One viewership is down more than NASCAR's over the last 10 years with a 43% decrease. This might be the last year for the British Gran Prix due to high costs.

Moto GP viewership for their first race of the season was 662,000.

18.1 million people watched the Daytona 500. 4.7 million watched the Talladega race.

There may not be as many people watching NASCAR as in the past but there are at least 7 times more watching NASCAR than Moto GP.

I liked Nascar for a good 5 years or so. My dad got me into it in 2001 and I went to a few races. It's really fun in person and I would even watch it on TV most weeks but eventually I just got bored with it. Jimmy Johnson winning for like 10 years on a row didn't help. Now it's one of those things that could just go away forever for all I care. Probably the conservationist in me that has developed over the last few years.

Apparently you haven't read the thread. Formula One viewership is down more than NASCAR's over the last 10 years with a 43% decrease. This might be the last year for the British Gran Prix due to high costs.

Moto GP viewership for their first race of the season was 662,000.

18.1 million people watched the Daytona 500. 4.7 million watched the Talladega race.

There may not be as many people watching NASCAR as in the past but there are at least 7 times more watching NASCAR than Moto GP.

Is Richard Petty still the Goat? I met him down here in San Diego, California years ago, awesome and very friendly, I had no clue who he was until my coworker told me he was like thats Nascar legend he is like the Wayne Gretzky and Jordan of Nascar, really down to earth, had that hat on he always wears. he was promoting Nascar in California.

Because it’s boring. We live in a world of instant gratification. Baseball is dying too. No one wants to watch anything that takes 3 hours. But I’ll watch 3 hours of Street Outlaws on a binge with no commercials.

Is Richard Petty still the Goat? I met him down here in San Diego, California years ago, awesome and very friendly, I had no clue who he was until my coworker told me he was like thats Nascar legend he is like the Wayne Gretzky and Jordan of Nascar, really down to earth, had that hat on he always wears. he was promoting Nascar in California.
For those that consider number of wins the deciding factor when determining the GOAT, the he'll always be the GOAT. He has 200 Cup wins because he raced in an entirely different era with very little competition and a huge number of races each year. 200 wins hasn't been an attainable goal since 1972 when they limited the number of races.
For others, such as myself, he's one of the GOATs. But he's not the best driver ever. The GOAT to me was Earnhardt, but there can be an argument made for one or two others.

For those that consider number of wins the deciding factor when determining the GOAT, the he'll always be the GOAT. He has 200 Cup wins because he raced in an entirely different era with very little competition and a huge number of races each year. 200 wins hasn't been an attainable goal since 1972 when they limited the number of races.
For others, such as myself, he's one of the GOATs. But he's not the best driver ever. The GOAT to me was Earnhardt, but there can be an argument made for one or two others.
Dale Earnhardt was the only Nascar racer I heard of pre 2005. I never followed the sport at all but he was pretty popular and Id see him on ESPN and then he had the crash, that was a huge shock they talked about that crash on the news every single day for a few weeks.

Back