NASCAR is dying

I think Nascar is definitely one of those sports that would be way better if it was worked like pro wrestling, you could really make it bad ass if you created these wild characters and booked out crazy storylines and race outcomes through the season, predetermined races to add to the drama, it could be like roller derby in race cars.

iu
are they still plowing groupies?

All forms of racing are dying. It has gotten too expensive. Few young people are interested in racing or working on cars. They'd rather play video games. The sponsorships are drying up and testosterone levels are dropping.
Yes the rise of eSports is hurting nascar, i saw they are now drafting videogame players to eSports leagues, these young men will race in video games instead of real life on a track and get paid doing it.

I saw some eSports video gamers getting paid high six figures like real athletes without having to do any physical exertion, and they make most of it off sponsorships as well. A lot of big companies are looking into eSports, I read that Target and walmart might get involved, Target was one of Nascars big sponsors, they dropped out after many years with nascar.

Why would you want cruise ships to die off?
the carbon footprint of one cruise ship operating one day is equal to a million passenger cars. Just so boomer fuckheads can shuffleboard on a floating hotel. I hope to live long enough to see all relics of boomer excess destroyed.

Tough, but not athletes. Deal with it.

I did 8 laps at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in an old indy car. It was governed so I couldn't go over 160, but I was tired mentally and physically even after just 8 laps. It's a lot harder than people give them credit for. With that said NASCAR is lame as hell.

the carbon footprint of one cruise ship operating one day is equal to a million passenger cars. Just so boomer fuckheads can shuffleboard on a floating hotel. I hope to live long enough to see all relics of boomer excess destroyed.

Are you serious? Thats the first time i heard cruise ships being bad for environment, would you want every ship including cargo ships o die off too? Cruise ships are no longer older folks, hipsters and college frat and sorierty people use them now. I saw it on a business report on entrepreneur, the old people are actually complaining because young people are traveling on cruise ships more and more. So its likely not going to go out of business. They are getting more popular.

How can people actually watch this
Its boring and they wach it for several hours a car going in the same circle, i heard the only reason these rednecks watch it is to see if they crash.

Would watch if turned into death race.

Short of that fuck watching racing.

Are the developmental programs not doing their part by picking up talent from the south?
And why is affluence so much more important now to be a driver?

In F-1, there are pay drivers who pay their way in - sons who have managed to persuade their billionaire patriarchs to 'invest' in racing teams. I heard those pay drivers are relegated to less important races or something like that, some manage to be decent enough though.

They pick up talent but they're all a bunch of 17 year old kids. Drivers back in the day used to have to pay their dues working on the cars themselves and working their way up through short track racing for years. These days they are in million dollar programs before they're even out of high school.

I didn't know that about F1. Are there any big drivers in F1 right now that had to pay their way in?

Honestly... if a sport is only popular because the fans feel like the sportsmen are "one of them"... then is it much of a sport to begin with? Shouldn't a sport be able to stand on the interest of its own activity rather than some sort of tribalism?

It's not entirely tribalism but it's kind of like lets say you and your friends are all fixing up old cars from the ground up. Frame off restorations where you're spending hundreds of hours doing bodywork and rebuilding the engine and restoring the interior. You guys all get done and you're proud of what you built and some 18 year old comes along and is driving a fully restored 68 Camaro that his dad bought him. Are you going to respect him as much as the guys who busted their knuckles building their own cars? Of course not.

The sport is inherently southern and they need to have at least one massive star that is southern to keep the popularity up. The reason why Jeff Gordon worked so well was because it gave the southern fans a villain to root against. This pretty boy California kid comes in and starts winning races and a lot of people didn't like that. But it drummed up popularity because everyone likes a good rivalry.

In summary, "The South lost, get over it" meets boring-by-comparison + overpriced?

For me it's like beach volleyball or snowboarding, I'll sometimes stop there while flipping through channels. It feels like it's on too big a stage for what it offers.

It's the one "sport" I just can't understand people watching.

It's like watching paint dry, only with noise. It doesn't even feel like racing, it feels like a group of cars going in circles slowly arguing about who goes where. Like if the autobots were all 90 year old asian women stuck in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and were in car mode trying to find a way out of a cul de sac.

Couple cars on a track with actual challenges and obstacles, I'd actually watch that. It'd be way more dangerous, sure, but the skill of driving would actually feel relevant to what's happening.

In summary, "The South lost, get over it" meets boring-by-comparison + overpriced?

For me it's like beach volleyball or snowboarding, I'll sometimes stop there while flipping through channels. It feels like it's on too big a stage for what it offers.

Hey now, women's volleyball is always fun to watch if you have a working penis. They know why they're wearing those shorts... they know....

Hey now, women's volleyball is always fun to watch if you have a working penis. They know why they're wearing those shorts... they know....
If there were more wardrobe malfunctions I'd be down, but the way it is, after about 10 minutes I've seen all I need to see.

If there were more wardrobe malfunctions I'd be down, but the way it is, after about 10 minutes I've seen all I need to see.

After about 10 minutes, I eat protein, take a nap, wake up and then see all I need to see a few more times.

<{ohyeah}>

They are very athletic though. If the world ever goes full post apocalypse, I'd seek out a tribe of athletic lady volleyball players to form my society with. They could easily gather food from trees, no one would ever be able to throw bombs over our walls, and those shorts don't seem to require much fabric. So that'd be easy to keep going.

Honestly... if a sport is only popular because the fans feel like the sportsmen are "one of them"... then is it much of a sport to begin with? Shouldn't a sport be able to stand on the interest of its own activity rather than some sort of tribalism?

In a perfect world, sure, but I think there is a more generous take on this. Most sports—and especially individual sports like racing or combat sports—derive a lot of interest from human interest stories. And human interest stories derive a lot of their power from the extent to which they resonate with our own experiences. I'm not sure it necessarily has to be "this person looks and walks and talks like I do" (although that certainly does play a role while vicarious wish fulfillment is involved). I think it can also be "this person has experienced a lot of the same challenges that I have, and seeing them win makes me feel like I can be successful too." A division in affluence is going to be a really powerful barrier to that sort of relatedness, and if the entire upper echelons are populated by people with that sort of background, the message to fans becomes "you and your like could never do this, because you were born into the wrong circumstances." I think it's fair that that erodes interest and viewership.

I just feel like it's too long, if I'm scrolling through the channels and it's near the end I'll stop and watch the finish. I used to love going to the local tracks with my dad and watching the 10-20 lap races. Investing hours in the same race though? I'll pass.

Generations of short attention spans.

Back