MVP Would Lose to Most Welterweights On The UFC Roster

MVP is not a good boxer, or skilled striker, but it seems he has once again been able to fool a whole new crop of fans into believing he is.

MVP uses his world class footwork to move laterally around the cage, which makes it quite difficult for opponents to reach him, so to the uninitiated it can give off the appearance that the guy is incredibly slick and dangerous. In reality, MVP's boxing is him winging his right hand from his hip and when it misses (which it usually does) he will crash into his opponents, and foot sweep them to the canvas to make it appear to the audience and judges as though he has knocked his opponent down. Once his opponents are on the canvas and in the process of getting up he will play to the crowd with a shaky leg dance, mocking their supposed "damaged" state, even when he has not actually done anything more than crash into them and push them to the canvas. MVP also has no takedown defense, and no getup game to speak of other than him pleading with the official for a standup, despite his 10+ years fighting professionally. Most opponents who take him down, even non-wrestlers, control him for the entire round.

I am absolutely not hating on the guy he has done extraordinarily well for himself without many MMA based skills other than footwork. The reality is though most of the Welterweights at the bottom of the UFC roster, guys like Preston Parsons, Adam Fuggit, Mickey Gall, or Themba Gorimbo; as well as most others would embarrass MVP.

You ain't wrong about how he fights, but you're also giving a lot of the UFC WWs way too much credit haha. Gall or Fuggit aren't beating him.

I mean, there's guys in the top 15 that would struggle with him. Neal has shit footwork and would struggle to find him. So would Magny.

His TDD isn't horrible. It's just his stand up is so superior to everyone, his wrestling/ground game is mediocre in comparison. So everyone knows where they want to beat him. It's going to be hard to find anyone who wants to stand. Most WWs have wrestling though in UFC, so he needs a golden path to get a titleshot. MVP vs Leon would be great.

His standup isn't superior to everyone's, it's just superior to his own grappling.

MVP is not a good boxer, or skilled striker, but it seems he has once again been able to fool a whole new crop of fans into believing he is.

MVP uses his world class footwork to move laterally around the cage, which makes it quite difficult for opponents to reach him, so to the uninitiated it can give off the appearance that the guy is incredibly slick and dangerous. In reality, MVP's boxing is him winging his right hand from his hip and when it misses (which it usually does) he will crash into his opponents, and foot sweep them to the canvas to make it appear to the audience and judges as though he has knocked his opponent down. Once his opponents are on the canvas and in the process of getting up he will play to the crowd with a shaky leg dance, mocking their supposed "damaged" state, even when he has not actually done anything more than crash into them and push them to the canvas. MVP also has no takedown defense, and no getup game to speak of other than him pleading with the official for a standup, despite his 10+ years fighting professionally. Most opponents who take him down, even non-wrestlers, control him for the entire round.

I am absolutely not hating on the guy he has done extraordinarily well for himself without many MMA based skills other than footwork. The reality is though most of the Welterweights at the bottom of the UFC roster, guys like Preston Parsons, Adam Fuggit, Mickey Gall, or Themba Gorimbo; as well as most others would embarrass MVP.
That’s your analysis of an unorthodox fighter who is clearly a championship level fighter in Bellator and there or thereabouts in UFC too? LMFAO. You can mix the martial arts or not. It’s up to the fighter. Pay more attention.

His standup isn't superior to everyone's, it's just superior to his own grappling.
I haven't seen anyone beat him there at his own game yet. Even when he got caught it was during a ground to standup transition. Which still counts, but its not like he was owned through most of the striking.

I haven't seen anyone beat him there at his own game yet. Even when he got caught it was during a ground to standup transition. Which still counts, but its not like he was owned through most of the striking.

Lima's the only half decent striker he's faced though.

Holland isn't some good striker.

Page's wrestling defense isn't that good but you need to get to him first. You aren't going to shoot from afar and get to him. He is just not going to be there. It's the same with guys who think a fighter can just come in and spam leg kicks at him. He is pretty much a fencer. The only times I see him in trouble is when he is lunging in and someone counters him.

He isn't that bad but I think he is maybe 8-15 for now. He can move up with the right matchups. He is in the same boat as Ian Garry. I am assuming they will try to make the wonderboy matchup to get him ranked. Both of those guys are familiar with flash karate sparring. I don't think WB will get in trouble with the lunging attacks.

Yes. Yes he is. So is Lima. One of the best in the sport.

Holland is shit-tier. What are you talking about?

His wrestling is just so bad that it makes his striking seem good in comparison lol.

lol at losing to the bottom of the division in a striking match. MVP is already a top 15 after his win over Holland.

He’s a tricky matchup for Edwards and I think he beats wonderboy

His striking was good enough to get him into the rankings? If Holland can't even be considered good, who the fuck is?

Rankings mean fuck all. The UFC move these around just to make upcoming fights look better on paper.

Perez went up a spot the other week so it looked like Mokaev was fighting up. He was somehow ranked 6th or something, despite having gone 0-2 since 2020.

Holland's just sort of okay at everything, but not great at anything and terrible at some things. You can get into the rankings without being elite at something.

Back