Most Athletic Sportsperson

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
When we say "The Most Athletic", not just the strongest, fastest, most durable, or longest to endure. It's a combination of all facets of athleticism.

Athleticism components:
- Strength
- Power
- Speed
- Quickness
- Agility
- Reflexes
- Stamina
- Endurance
- Durability
- Flexibility

Who do you say has the best combination of strength, speed, stamina, etc.?

2gt3g5v_jpg.gif

Alex Honnold just climbed El Capitan in Yosemite. With no safety equipment.

He just retired this January but Ashton Eaton deserves a mention for sure. Holds world records in decathlon and heptathlon.

theres far too many kickball players in here for this thread to be taken seriously

objectively, I believe the greatest athletic endeavor was Vernon Davis's combine performance
6'3", 253 lbs and ran a 4.38 40, 42" vertical leap, and benched 225 lbs THIRTY THREE times

objectively, I believe the greatest athletic endeavor was Vernon Davis's combine performance
6'3", 253 lbs and ran a 4.38 40, 42" vertical leap, and benched 225 lbs THIRTY THREE times

<Dana05>

One of these guys.

Nobody in soccer can seriously be considered for the best athlete in the world...especially based on speed, LMFAO. It's a heavily skill-dominant sport due to the nature of the fact every player is required to be competent at handling the ball, and the ball is managed with the feet. Mainly, they simply aren't big enough. The TS doesn't want to bring that up, but I do. Why? It's an unavoidably essential factor to the overall equation. It's one of the principal reasons that men tend to dominate women in sport, and this can't be reduced to differences in absolute strength alone. It's way more complicated than that.

Simple: a 150 pound man who runs a 10.0s 100m dash is not the athletic equal to a 250 pound man who runs a 10.0s 100m dash.

It's why, for example, using the ultimate Joe Rogan litmus test for the legitimacy & hierarchy of sport, those guys would all be hopeless weight class fighters. You see fights break out on blacktops all the time, but nowhere is a random cricket match breaking out in a friendly sparring session or wrestling mat. Weight class fighters = handicap fighers = smaller men = pretty much all the top talent in world soccer.

The guys in the NBA and NFL are significantly superior in terms of acceleration and top speed while being nearly (or literally) twice as large, and those in the former are putting out ~2.0-2.5 miles on average in a game (with an average of ~4.2mph during gametime which roughly equals the average for Premier League players if we set the avg gametimes of soccer at 100min rather than the literal clock of 90min, or the typical 105min-120min of actual gametime yielded). It's not like they lack meaningful endurance, and they repeat bursts of speed with much greater frequency than the soccer players which won't show up in mean velocities.

Even more impressive is their dominance in a vertical plane against elite soccer players who actually have below average vertical leaps (as in: below average versus untrained subjects). The study I saw of elite Dutch players, IIRC, recorded an average 18" vert for these top tier pros.

If we're going to ignore the tremendous size and dimensional advantage of the top athletes in the most athletic positions of the NBA or NFL, then I'll take Ashton:

68500951-a490-4234-a7cd-168628a14878.jpg

Nobody in soccer can seriously be considered for the best athlete in the world...especially based on speed, LMFAO. It's a heavily skill-dominant sport due to the nature of the fact every player is required to be competent at handling the ball, and the ball is managed with the feet. Mainly, they simply aren't big enough. The TS doesn't want to bring that up, but I do. Why? It's an unavoidably essential factor to the overall equation. It's one of the principal reasons that men tend to dominate women in sport, and this can't be reduced to differences in absolute strength alone. It's way more complicated than that.

Simple: a 150 pound man who runs a 10.0s 100m dash is not the athletic equal to a 250 pound man who runs a 10.0s 100m dash.

It's why, for example, using the ultimate Joe Rogan litmus test for the legitimacy & hierarchy of sport, those guys would all be hopeless weight class fighters. You see fights break out on blacktops all the time, but nowhere is a random cricket match breaking out in a friendly sparring session or wrestling mat. Weight class fighters = handicap fighers = smaller men = pretty much all the top talent in world soccer.

The guys in the NBA and NFL are significantly superior in terms of acceleration and top speed while being nearly (or literally) twice as large, and those in the former are putting out ~2.0-2.5 miles on average in a game (with an average of ~4.2mph during gametime which roughly equals the average for Premier League players if we set the avg gametimes of soccer at 100min rather than the literal clock of 90min, or the typical 105min-120min of actual gametime yielded). It's not like they lack meaningful endurance, and they repeat bursts of speed with much greater frequency than the soccer players which won't show up in mean velocities.

Even more impressive is their dominance in a vertical plane against elite soccer players who actually have below average vertical leaps (as in: below average versus untrained subjects). The study I saw of elite Dutch players, IIRC, recorded an average 18" vert for these top tier pros.

If we're going to ignore the tremendous size and dimensional advantage of the top athletes in the most athletic positions of the NBA or NFL, then I'll take Ashton:

68500951-a490-4234-a7cd-168628a14878.jpg

I think one of the OP's criteria is how many times the athlete can do it right after he does it. He isnt just talking about one time explosion.

I am not sure what you mean by cricket players, sparring and wrestling sessions, or the weight class comment.

I like to think racing another person is mainly what OP is referring to. For me, running or sprinting is closest to most explosive activity. It uses whole body or at least it uses most powerful part of you body. So trying to out perform someone in this fashion means you cover more ground quicker, and sustain it longer.

Based on OP criteria, I did not think of basketball at all. When I see the NBA, I dont see any running or sprinting. I dont see them covering great distances with great effort. If there is a spur of quick movement, it is for 3-4 steps. If they out jump someone it not done in rapid succession usually. I dont see any overpowering people either. You cannot just shove people over. Jump shots and layups are more about touch and precisions. Maybe dunks, but they are already so close to the net seeing as how tall they are. But you dont get extra points for breaking the rim or backboard.

I posted sport with more racing involved, the longer distances involved and more frequency of it occuring. Perhaps I can post Murican football, but there is too many breaks, and I did not think that met OP criteria. Rugby is another good candidate.

Last edited:
I think one of the OP's criteria is how many times the athlete can do it right after he does it. He isnt just talking about one time explosion.

I am not sure what you mean by cricket players, sparring and wrestling sessions, or the weight class comment.

I like to think racing another person is mainly what OP is referring to. For me, running or sprinting is closest to most explosive activity. It uses whole body or at least it uses most powerful part of you body. So trying to out perform someone in this fashion means you cover more ground quicker, and sustain it longer.

Based on OP criteria, I did not think of basketball at all. When I see the NBA, I dont see any running or sprinting. I dont see them covering great distances with great effort. If there is a spur of quick movement, it is for 3-4 steps. If they out jump someone it not done in rapid succession usually. I dont see any overpowering people either. You cannot just shove people over. Jump shots and layups are more about touch and precisions. Maybe dunks, but they are already so close to the net seeing as how tall they are. But you dont get extra points for breaking the rim or backboard.

I posted sport with more racing involved, the longer distances involved and more frequency of it occuring. Perhaps I can post Murican football, but there is too many breaks, and I did not think that met OP criteria. Rugby is another good candidate.
Yeah, running is basically the only thing they do which requires the upper half of their body, and obviously it's not that intensive. Soccer players basically don't use half of their bodies, dude, unless you want to count some light bracing or pushing when racing to the ball, or waiting for a pass/header into a crowded area.

How much can they bench on average? OTH? C&J? What is their throwing power?

It was actually 94 feet. Not impressed? Watch this (timestamped):

Soccer players are just not complete enough or athletic enough to be seriously considered for this theoretical title.

Most people will just list the best from their favourite sports I guess. Given the criteria I would guess maybe whoever the world's most decorated swimmer currently is. I always found tennis an extremely physically demanding sport and am amazed by how long some of the games go.

Yeah, running is basically the only thing they do which requires the upper half of their body, and obviously it's not that intensive. Soccer players basically don't use half of their bodies, dude, unless you want to count some light bracing or pushing when racing to the ball, or waiting for a pass/header into a crowded area.

How much can they bench on average? OTH? C&J? What is their throwing power?

It was actually 94 feet. Not impressed? Watch this (timestamped):

Soccer players are just not complete enough or athletic enough to be seriously considered for this theoretical title.

It is true they basically just use their lower body. But the lower body is the bigger stronger muscles. You are carrying all your weight, driving it forward, over and over again when you run.

Soccer players cant play catch. I am not sure if Europeans in general can. But in a match, they will make many long range passes, and take shots from way far out quite frequently

The pitch is much larger than a BBall court, so more effort needed for passes. They have to have more velocity. Same thing for taking shots. BBall has no goaltending so no person to beat, and the ball has to come down through basket. Jump shooting is more about precision than power. A soccer goal attempt has to beat someone head on to the back of the net. Yes, however, it is all lower body, but more effort is required.

Again, though I just posted up vid of sport with most running. Besides, the football codes, I just cannot think of anything else. I dont know if there is such a thing as a complete sport or athlete. MMA maybe? I dont know.

It is true they basically just use their lower body. But the lower body is the bigger stronger muscles. You are carrying all your weight, driving it forward, over and over again when you run.

Soccer players cant play catch. I am not sure if Europeans in general can. But in a match, they will make many long range passes, and take shots from way far out quite frequently

The pitch is much larger than a BBall court, so more effort needed for passes. They have to have more velocity. Same thing for taking shots. BBall has no goaltending so no person to beat, and the ball has to come down through basket. Jump shooting is more about precision than power. A soccer goal attempt has to beat someone head on to the back of the net. Yes, however, it is all lower body, but more effort is required.

Again, though I just posted up vid of sport with most running. Besides, the football codes, I just cannot think of anything else. I dont know if there is such a thing as a complete sport or athlete. MMA maybe? I dont know.

Why do soccer players running slowly impress you so much?

Why do soccer players running slowly impress you so much?

because in between jogging, they will go all out and sprint. Sports like baseball players run very short distance, and take huge breaks in between.

Back