Most Athletic Sportsperson | Page 3

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by 10000 Days, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    I would classify that under "stamina" since we aren't parsing "endurance" the way you see in academic S&C texts: the ability to reproduce an action in a particular range-- not necessarily in the aerobic range. Football players possess this stamina.

Short legs, extreme specificity in anaerobic ranges. They would do well, certainly better than untrained subjects, but they're not built for it, and I'm not sure how they'd fare against elite athletes in the other sports we've discussed. They wouldn't do well against mid-sized or smaller basketball players (who are still much, much larger than them).

Furthermore, you're forgetting that at 140 lbs (pretty sure they're heavier than that) they're not that strong, or that powerful. They are the kings of all-around relative strength (the "strongmen" of relative strength), in my opinion, but they are ice skating uphill against guys like Lebron.

2. ripskater Double Yellow Card

ripskater
    I think they are lightweights (but I should look that up). If I'm right about that, then that helps them.

Lebron has the long leg advantage. But he's a big dude. I haven't seen many really tall dudes be good at distance running.

I played basketball in high school and I ran some cross country in jr high. The guards on our team were the best runners in the 1 mile run. Which was me and another guy during conditioning. We had a D1 big man (6'9") a D1 guard, a D1 walk on (6'5") and a D3 forward at (6'3") Our big men were our worst distance runners at least on this team. The smaller guys did better on our team during running 1 mile or more for distance.

A 10 k race would be interesting.

Might come down to the distance running talent in the end.

I just heard about a former gymnast say he just went out and could run 17 miles. Never trained it. So that's why I said that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    To a point. If you study elite lifting figures you'll learn that the smallest/lightest lifters (powerlifting or oly-lifting) don't demonstrate the greatest relative strength, but that is the result of surface-area-to-volume anatomical composition dynamics, not a gravity/mass disadvantage.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017