Most Athletic Sportsperson

Soccer players cant play catch. I am not sure if Europeans in general can. But in a match, they will make many long range passes, and take shots from way far out quite frequently

The pitch is much larger than a BBall court, so more effort needed for passes. They have to have more velocity.

Evidence? Penalty kicks and goalie kicks are certainly faster, but they are hardly the norm, and not frequently repeated.

You can only deduce velocity based on distance if you track the entire distance traveled by the ball, btw. Since passes are usually received, you would have to account for the velocity of the ball when it is stopped (i.e. received). Soccer passes favor less velocity-- more "touch"-- for reception because they are more difficult to receive and handle with the feet. Soccer passes also involve a projectile that is ~50% lighter with less air resistance due to a smaller circumference, tend to be of a greater azimuth, take longer to execute, and are launched with those larger muscles you mentioned. Just as in basketball (or any other team sport, really) short passes are far more common than cross-court or cross-field passes. All of that factors into force. Then you calculate average force.

Despite all these mechanical disadvantages Lebron James, for example, gets passes off in under 0.2s traveling at speeds of over 40mph. That's faster than Tom Brady throws his passes, and Tom has been able to fly pigskins over 60 yards. These are routine in-game passes for Lebron due to the risk of the ball being stolen which is heightened by the more compact space allowed to execute the exchange (meaning that a smaller field will also favor an increased velocity of passes):

Same thing for taking shots. BBall has no goaltending so no person to beat, and the ball has to come down through basket.

Jump shooting is more about precision than power. A soccer goal attempt has to beat someone head on to the back of the net. Yes, however, it is all lower body, but more effort is required.
Well, there absolutely is a person to beat, but it isn't done with the speed of the shot.

Nevertheless, concerning soccer, there are 10 non-goalkeepers on the pitch for each team. Soccer sees an average of 6.3 shots on goal per game between those 10 guys, or an average of 0.63 shots on goal per player per ~100min+ game. Even if you add all scoring chances that figure won't inflate much, and then you would have to adjust for the number of non-velocitized attempts resulting in scoring chances or shots on goal (ex. corner kicks or lob passes into headers or punch kicks).

That must be exhausting.

Last edited:
It is true they basically just use their lower body. But the lower body is the bigger stronger muscles. You are carrying all your weight, driving it forward, over and over again when you run.
Indeed, they are. Hmmm. That might explain why I was emphasizing concepts like "bigger" and "stronger" in my previous posts. Bigger matters. Stronger matters.

Soccer players's "bigger, stronger" muscles might also be a compelling argument if they weren't smaller and weaker than the same muscles in those athletes who I've mentioned. The issue here is that soccer players aren't complete enough. I've highlighted their greatest deficiencies:
  • too small (in terms of absolute or lean mass)
  • too short & inferior leverage across the gamut except with regard to a lower center of gravity-- i.e. foot turnover/contacts (this includes inferior reach: on both relative and absolute scales)
  • inferior quickness, acceleration, and top speed versus much larger, longer, and stronger athletes who also excel in aerobic capacities especially on an absolute scale
  • below average athleticism in one of the 3 major planes of movement-- the vertical plane, regarded to be the 2nd most significant overall-- on an absolute scale (this is a "big idea" in S&C)
  • lack of any relative athletic excellence in the torso (not complete, overall athletes)
The TS also mentioned "durability". Soccer is far less combative or physically abusive than the two sports as played in the specific sports leagues I've mentioned (NFL, NBA)

Last edited:
objectively, I believe the greatest athletic endeavor was Vernon Davis's combine performance
6'3", 253 lbs and ran a 4.38 40, 42" vertical leap, and benched 225 lbs THIRTY THREE times

Taylor Mays had numbers similar to those except for the bench press (24 reps is still damn good for a safety). Too bad he was a knucklehead. This play will always stick out to me

2:04 of the video

Then of course this

On an Australian football forum a member once mentioned that they know someone who worked with Aussie rules players and NFL players and that person said AFL players represent a higher class of Athleticism.

On an Australian football forum a member once mentioned that they know someone who worked with Aussie rules players and NFL players and that person said AFL players represent a higher class of Athleticism.
<TheWire1>

Someone like Sonny Bill Williams. In football/soccer, you can have fast players but they are nimble, gentle and can't lift. A generalisation is that they can run distances. Basketball players? Are you even being serious right now? I don't rate the NFL guys argument for this thread. It's too stop and start.

Sonny Bill Williams. Rugby union player. Can lift weights. Can run, both speed and distance. Played rugby league which is the quicker game with better tackling. Also played rugby 7s, an even faster code of rugby. Oh yeah, he also had a few boxing fights.

Madmick seems to be generally dominating this discussion lol. I don't know much about this stuff scientifically speaking but just by watching lots of sports I would say that a lot of rugby players would have most soccer players beat for overall athleticism as well. Soccer players are quick and very skillful, but I would guess that rugby (league especially, since it has less breaks in play) requires much more overall athleticism. In certain positions especially. Obviously they are much bigger and stronger than soccer players, and the game is much more physically abusive while still requiring high fitness levels, as well as speed and skill obviously.

Even the point that soccer players run the most is just plain wrong. I see someone already mentioned AFL players but they would certainly be up there as some of the very best athletes imo, largest pitch/field of any sport as far as I know and they run the farthest average distances of any sport... more than soccer, or obviously something like NFL. They also need great leaping and catching abilities to take marks, so the 'vertical plane' that was mentioned -

giphy.gif

Good hand-eye coordination to hand-pass (have to fist the ball, can't just throw it normally), and to run with the ball while having to bounce it every 15 steps (or earlier).
7u0rKyP.gif

More upper body effort than something like soccer, and much physically tougher due to tackles, fends etc. -
9wwaPNF.gif

NmNrKEG.gif

giphy.gif

and obviously the ability to kick the ball long distances -
giphy.gif

It is a brilliant sport.

I would also put gaelic football in a similar vein as it shares a lot of the same traits and Irish football players often end up being poached by AFL, but it wouldn't be on quite the same level and as it is still amateur the players just don't have the free time to reach the fitness levels and athleticism of full time pros even if they are very close.

They're by no means the strongest dudes around, but the level of speed, stamina, hand-eye coordination, reflexes and focus reached by current top tennis players in up to 4+ hours games is pretty amazing.

They're by no means the strongest dudes around, but the level of speed, stamina, hand-eye coordination, reflexes and focus reached by current top tennis players in up to 4+ hours games is pretty amazing.
Don't forget heat tolerance. In my opinion, their endurance in that regard exceeds all other athletes.

Ashton can do fucking ANYTHING. He crushed the American Ninja Warrior course like it was nothing.

Stephen Amell was the only other athlete to complete the course that night. He added a studly +1 with his salmon ladder specialty:

When we say "The Most Athletic", not just the strongest, fastest, most durable, or longest to endure. It's a combination of all facets of athleticism.

Athleticism components:
- Strength
- Power
- Speed
- Quickness
- Agility
- Reflexes
- Stamina
- Endurance
- Durability
- Flexibility

Who do you say has the best combination of strength, speed, stamina, etc.?
get-crossfit-1.jpg

The one and only Rich Froning.

When we say "The Most Athletic", not just the strongest, fastest, most durable, or longest to endure. It's a combination of all facets of athleticism.

Athleticism components:
- Strength
- Power
- Speed
- Quickness
- Agility
- Reflexes
- Stamina
- Endurance
- Durability
- Flexibility

Who do you say has the best combination of strength, speed, stamina, etc.?
by your definition:
World class gymnasts is the answer.

Pick from them.

He just retired this January but Ashton Eaton deserves a mention for sure. Holds world records in decathlon and heptathlon.
Yep, Decathlon athletes are amazing.

Ashton was great.

by your definition:
World class gymnasts is the answer.

Pick from them.
Think you skipped "endurance". This isn't restricted to anaerobic endurance.

When was the last time you saw a male gymnast run the 10K? How do you think they would do?

Think you skipped "endurance". This isn't restricted to anaerobic endurance.

When was the last time you saw a male gymnast run the 10K? How do you think they would do?
I think it would be easy for them. They all weigh like 140 lbs. They train all day. Their body is prepared for anything really. Except they probably aren't doing jogging. But like I said, they are lightweights and their body can handle most anything.

Distance running is for poor people.

Back