MMA Olympics 2014

Some of you just couldn't wait the 5 minutes for the offical explanation (post 2). But hopefully that answers most your questions. But keep them coming if not and I'll do my best to answer them when I can.

I'm American, that always confuses me. When I looked it up on Wikipedia, it said Great Britian includes England, Scotland and Ireland. So I thought, hmmmm, we have a seperate Ireland team, so I went with England and Ireland seperately. I'll fix it if you can explain for my naive mind.

England is a part of GB, just like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (+ overseas territories)

The Republic of Ireland is not a part of GB.

Americans talking about geography never fail to amuse me.

how many fights? How long will this take? Do they wear protective gear? whats mma?

So it's GB vs Sweden at LHW this saturday? Fucking epic

You are missing Alex Garcia for Dominican Republic at WW good sir :)

will trt be allowed or not? will there be american judges and how could they be possibly be neutral if States are competing at the Olympics. You had to find judges and refs from other countries.

You are missing Alex Garcia for Dominican Republic at WW good sir :)

Added.

When I have the chance I'll fix the 1000 other mistakes I'm sure the Sherdog community will find as they go over my thread with a fine tooth comb.

I'm American, that always confuses me. When I looked it up on Wikipedia, it said Great Britian includes England, Scotland and Ireland. So I thought, hmmmm, we have a seperate Ireland team, so I went with England and Ireland seperately. I'll fix it if you can explain for my naive mind.

Whilst you're correct, there are 2 separate Irelands- Republic, and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of UK, but the Republic isn't.

In sports, (soccer, rugby, cricket) each country represents itself, but when it comes to the Olympics- the UK is represented as a whole- being England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. So technically, you should be going with England and Ireland combined.

Conor is from the Republic, so he would still be separate.

Added.

When I have the chance I'll fix the 1000 other mistakes I'm sure the Sherdog community will find as they go over my thread with a fine tooth comb.

Stanislav Nedkov for Bulgaria at MW

Ivan Menjivar for El Salvador at FW

Tom Niinimaki for Finland at FW

Jon Delos Reyes for Guam at BW (Guam is US territory but represents itself at the Olympics)

Beneil Dariush for Iran at LW

Alan Omer for Iraq at FW

Noad Lahat for Israel at FW

Royston Wee for Singapore at BW

Alptekin Ozkilic for Turkey at FlW

Maximo Blanco for Venezuela at FW

And replace Danny Mitchell with John Hathaway on the British team

Last edited:
England is a part of GB, just like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (+ overseas territories)

I really doubt you know dick about where our states are or where landmarks are. There's no reason for you to know, it's similar for us over here.

his geography was spot on, it was the stupid ass back and forth "this countrys yours this countrys mine" bullshit you guys did for the last 2000 years that makes it confusing.

Why no GSP for team Canada?

It's not like he's washed up. He would soooooo come back to fight in the Olympics.

I really doubt you know dick about where our states are or where landmarks are. There's no reason for you to know, it's similar for us over here.

This is very true. Whilst it can sound amusing when Americans talk about European geography (that meme going around with 20+ Americans trying to label European countries was pretty hilarious) I know that me personally, and most English people I know, have zero clue about American states and would look just as stupid.

I mean, I know where Texas, Hawaii and Alaska are. Maybe like California and New York.

I could name a large amount of states, but I wouldn't have the first clue where they are on a map.

You chose Travis Browne over Cain Velasquez to rep the States? lol.

Cain was born in Cali.

This is very true. Whilst it can sound amusing when Americans talk about European geography (that meme going around with 20+ Americans trying to label European countries was pretty hilarious) I know that me personally, and most English people I know, have zero clue about American states and would look just as stupid.

I mean, I know where Texas, Hawaii and Alaska are. Maybe like California and New York.

I could name a large amount of states, but I wouldn't have the first clue where they are on a map.

Haven't seen that one .

This is hilarious

Back