Mir: Conor does more publicity (than others) but gets more money for doing so

That's not exactly true. He gets more money for drawing more eyes. More eyes might be the result of the the promotion, but he isn't getting paid for the promotion.

He gets no reimbursement for promoting. He gets it for views.

Thus, if he wants to cut back on promotion, and less people watch it would result in a pay cut (if he gets PPV buys, pay based on gate etc.) But if he still draws the same buys and he can do less promotion, he gets paid the same.

If that is your position then no one gets payed to promote.

PPV points is the only way combat athletes get paid to promote, it's been this way for decades and Conor gets PPV points. If that's his position he's asking to be payed for something no one gets payed for.

If your boss said to you 'Hey, we need you to work out of state. We won't pay you, but we'll cover all of your travel and food expenses.' That's not you getting paid.

And I don't know that he doesn't get paid. But you don't know that he does, neither does Mir. In fact, none of us do. We don't have his contract. But what I am saying, is that his paycheck on the night is based on him fighting and depending on his contract, PPV buys. None of that is actual promotion; but it can go up if he promoted successfully.

Do I get a commission? If so, then why not.

Did Kangaroo Frank also explain how water is wet, the sky is blue, and he should retire? I'm pretty sure the guy on the roster who does the most media is aware of it's purpose. This really boils down to Conor wanting to prioritize training at the expense of the one thing the UFC will never say yes to and now we have a conflict between the two which he is losing.

But it occurs to me as I type this that the masters of the obvious, Chael and Frank, are in fact acting as surrogates for the UFC brass. Its really quite a brilliant PR move on their part. Just get two well known and popular fighters/ex-fighters to spout your talking points in the form of discussing a big topic of the day. You get your message out and many fans will much more easily swallow your message than if it comes directly from you. Very smart and yet another reason why Conor is losing this argument badly.

His contract (or at least the only contract I've seen; and what Tate has stated) states that he needs to do a resonable amount of promotion. A reasonable amount therefore, should be the equivalent of the co-main, and his main event opponent.

This absolutely is not the case though. His opponent isn't doing Conan, or morning shows, or a twenty minute scrums or having mainstream press film him at the gym. He's doing extra/additional media, but does not get paid for it.

He gets paid for the result, not the media.

And don't write in bold to me, I'm reading your posts. I know what you're saying. But you and Mir are wrong; he doesn't get paid more for doing more media. He gets paid more because more people buy his events. This isn't the same thing.

Your argument is based purely on semantics.

It's no secret the UFC hands out locker room bonuses, or rewards fighters' performances and or from being the victim of a poor judging decision.

I don't believe for one second the fighters don't receive anything extra while doing heavy promotional work.

If promoting oneself as a prizefighter headlining a milestone event is too troublesome for Conor, he could always go back to being a plumber. I've never seen TMZ chase down a lowly plumber to see how his day is or to find out who tailors his short pants for him.

But he isn't paid more to do more. He's paid more because more people watch him.

You can't really say this because you weren't here when the contract was made up. On top of that when the UFC was coming up with how much they should pay him they could have decided that part of him being paid so much is because he will be doing more promotion. Basically we don't know but if promotion is in his contract then he is being paid to do it.

You can't really say this because you weren't here when the contract was made up. On top of that when the UFC was coming up with how much they should pay him they could have decided that part of him being paid so much is because he will be doing more promotion. Basically we don't know but if promotion is in his contract then he is being paid to do it.

Neither does Frank.

Conors tweet got attention because he RETIRED
That does not sell PPV

I never heard someone say "I am buying a $65 PPV for a tweet" - lol

People will buy the PPV to see Conor. Conor's tweets and ramblings (all of them) generate interest in him. The greater the interest in him, the more viewers when he fights. The more viewers, the more $ that he and the UFC make.

Conor generated more interest in UFC 200 than anything any other fighter or even the UFC could do.

Murr is right. It's nothing but hilarious excuses.

"I'm paid to fight, I'm not yet paid to promote" bro then how come you get paid way more than Nate when he choked your ass?

"I asked for a slight adjustment/leeway, but I was denied". bro wtf do you think the UFC was doing allowing you to avenge a loss at 170 lbs while holding the FW belt, on the same card the No.1 and No.2 FWs are fighting for a BS interim belt?

"It is time for the other monkeys to dance". bro you can kiss that mass fighter support goodbye. Now you fight Lorenzo by yourself.

Also lol at Murr still on that post-USADA depression podcast binge.

He gets paid more than nate, cause conor breaks records with ppv sales. And lastly, he is a world champion.. Something nate has never been..and probably never will be.

Yes his fixed contract amount to show is inclusive of promotional requirements. However, we also don't know the extent to which the promotional requirements are specified. It would be absurd to think that a vague promotional clause in his contract means that Conor must do anything and everything that the UFC deems to be promotion.

McGregor might not get a separate pay check for showing up at media events, but he gets PPV points. PPV points is compensation to help promote the event. McGregor has made his millions because of his promotion skills. If he never did any of the Mystic Mac stuff and was a guy like Frankie or Aldo, who let their fighting do the talking for them, he wouldn't be paid like he is now, he would not be the superstar he is today. I feel for the guy, I'm sure he's burned out, I'm sure the media tours suck, but everyone else showed up for work. He should have taken more time off after 196 to relax, rather than rushing back into 200.

Conor wanted to fight on UFC 200, because he knew that would be the bigger card. The bigger PPV revenue. So he wanted to be on the bigger event, without doing the publicity for it? Letting others do it? He should have not chose to be on this card, if he did not want publicity. UFC 200, is an event in itself. He should have known better. He will probably end up fighting at UFC 201 anyway. So he should have just chose that to begin with. He wouldn't of had to do a "mini tour". But a mini tour for 200 is reasonable. Because it is a landmark event for the UFC.

Any card he's on is going to be the biggest. I guarantee, his fight with Nate, will get more ppv buys than anything ufc 200 can do. doesn't matter when it is.. I suspect it might come close to doubling it.

Last edited:
But Money isn't what Conor is complaining about so that point is kind of irrelevant. He thinks his increased media obligations was a contributing factor in him losing and it probably was a factor, he has done way more than anyone else and it eventually catches up with you, same thing happened to Ronda.

Lol Mir never did the same amount of press Conor did

And Mir is simply saying that he gets paid after the fight by the ppv sales but that doesn't mean he gets paid for the actual promotion

No ... you are still getting paid.
Travel is part of a lot of jobs.
Promotion is part of the job description that UFC fighters sign.
He is getting paid for promotion.
Even the few fighters that took his side admitted that.

Did Aldo get paid for his world tour with Conor? I seriously doubt it.

Back