Mir: Conor does more publicity (than others) but gets more money for doing so

No ... you are still getting paid.
Travel is part of a lot of jobs.
Promotion is part of the job description that UFC fighters sign.
He is getting paid for promotion.
Even the few fighters that took his side admitted that.

No, he isn't getting paid for promotion.

What percentage of Mighty Mouse's pay is for promoting a fight? Did Hendo still get paid his 'promotion fee' for his cancelled Machida fight? Is Jon Jones getting the same amount of 'promotional pay' as Miesha did, because she's done an extra press conference. How much is a Conan interview worth?

You don't get paid for the promotion. You get paid for the fight and the eyes you can draw. You promote to get eyes; if you get PPV points do media everyday for 3 months but your fight only gets 200K buys, you only get points on those 200k buys. It's not the media/promotion you're getting paid for, it's the result.

Fighters admit that it is neccersary. But they also admited they aren't doing as much as he does. Conor never said he wouldn't do media; he said he'd do one press conference (instead of three) and would do all the media and advertising necessary after he arrived in Vegas (five weeks out from the fight).

It is built in to part of their contract.

Here is a great example:
Howard Stern signed on to do AGT. His first contract was for two years & he signed to do the same media as the other coaches.
When he re-signed for two more years, he negotiated less media obligations (some conflicted with his morning radio show) & either was paid less or that took place of his raise.

Promotion is built in to these contracts & the pay that is negotiated.

Yea Frank Mur is right, it is built in as part of their contract. That's why Conor got considerably more money each new contract he signed.

No, he isn't getting paid for promotion.

lol ... you are a man alone on an island

Fighters that signed the same contract disagree with you (even those supporting Conor)

Yea Frank Mur is right, it is built in as part of their contract. That's why Conor got considerably more money each new contract he signed.

No Frank (a two decade UFC contracted veteran) is wrong & a Sherdog member is right
Get your act together ;)

Mir on Chael's podcast said that Conor should check his bank account when complaining about media obligations.
Mir said he understands Conor not liking to do media & that he did as well, but he looked at his own bank account & realized that he was getting paid more than other fighters & it was part of his job (esp. when main eventing).
He said every punch he threw, he made more $$$ for that due to promotion.

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen
Frank definitely doesn't like Conor .

That's not exactly true. He gets more money for drawing more eyes. More eyes might be the result of the the promotion, but he isn't getting paid for the promotion.

He gets no reimbursement for promoting. He gets it for views.

Thus, if he wants to cut back on promotion, and less people watch it would result in a pay cut (if he gets PPV buys, pay based on gate etc.) But if he still draws the same buys and he can do less promotion, he gets paid the same.

Well said. And if he draws more buys and attention by tweeting in Iceland and feuding with the ufc brass in the media, then he is doing his job. I agree with both the ufc and in conor in this dispute, its just a shame they couldn't work it out, but Conor was spot on when he said his tweet would generate more attention than their 10 million marketing campaign.

That's not exactly true. He gets more money for drawing more eyes. More eyes might be the result of the the promotion, but he isn't getting paid for the promotion.

He gets no reimbursement for promoting. He gets it for views.

Thus, if he wants to cut back on promotion, and less people watch it would result in a pay cut (if he gets PPV buys, pay based on gate etc.) But if he still draws the same buys and he can do less promotion, he gets paid the same.

What are you on about? He absolutely gets paid for promotion. If promotion is part of the contract, then he's getting paid for promotion.

That's like saying that your plumber doesn't get paid for turning off the water before setting to work repairing the leaky pipe.

No Frank (a two decade UFC contracted veteran) is wrong & a Sherdog member is right
Get your act together ;)

Yes being a Sherdog member, automatically gives you credentials and makes you an MMA expert. When people write their CV's these days, they don't include their job history. They just put "Sherdog Member" :eek: And the employer usually goes "WTF we have to get this guy! Immediate promotion for you sir!" :p

It´s amazing how conor started avoiding media...

Just after he got dismantled for the first time in UFC

I imagine he´s very depressed, in therapy, hidden from the cameras he used to love...

Anyway he was never that good

Conor was spot on when he said his tweet would generate more attention than their 10 million marketing campaign.

Conors tweet got attention because he RETIRED
That does not sell PPV

I never heard someone say "I am buying a $65 PPV for a tweet" - lol

Frank definitely doesn't like Conor .
Probably because he got £500 for fighting at the Albert Hall back in the day and Conor got more in his last pay cheque than Frank got in his whole career. I can understand it Frank was a pioneer .

lol ... you are a man alone on an island

Fighters that signed the same contract disagree with you (even those supporting Conor)

He doesn't get paid for promotion. Going off of Alvarez' leaked contract, it says that fighters are expected to do a 'reasonable' amount of promotion. That's fine.

But they aren't getting paid for that. They're getting paid for the fight. If they don't make it to fight night, there's no 'media cheque'. They aren't given $20,000 for each press conference.

Conor doesn't get paid more because he does more media. He gets paid more because he get more people to watch his fights.

If Mighty Mouse did a world tour, spent 3 months and visited 20 different countries, met with fans and press; then headlined a card that drew 200K buys, he only gets paid for the buys. Not for the media.

I think we all know this wasn't about promoting fights, it was a power play by both sides, possibly a tiny bit Conor not liking that Stockton (which was only there because Nate beat him bad) was on the 3 venue tour (I am not saying he was afraid to go there just didn't see why they would just for Nate), he did mention he would turn up for the New York leg. I am surprised I haven't heard anything of the Stockton leg of the Press Conference on any of the theories about this. I also take it this was scrapped after Conor backed out and Nate said he was going on Vacation?

Conors tweet got attention because he RETIRED
That does not sell PPV

I never heard someone say "I am buying a $65 PPV for a tweet" - lol
Perhaps your right but 500,000 people not buying the PPV now Conor has been benched ? Lets see what the final figures are .

He doesn't get paid for promotion. Going off of Alvarez' leaked contract, it says that fighters are expected to do a 'reasonable' amount of promotion. That's fine.

But they aren't getting paid for that. They're getting paid for the fight. If they don't make it to fight night, there's no 'media cheque'. They aren't given $20,000 for each press conference.

Conor doesn't get paid more because he does more media. He gets paid more because he get more people to watch his fights.

If Mighty Mouse did a world tour, spent 3 months and visited 20 different countries, met with fans and press; then headlined a card that drew 200K buys, he only gets paid for the buys. Not for the media.

I will try one last time bc you are a good guy

IF IT IS IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION & IN THE CONTRACT THEN IT IS PART OF THE JOB THEY ARE GETTING PAID FOR!!!!!

I have signed many contracts & not everything is broken down "per action"
Several were in the entertainment field and had rehearsals (akin = to training) & promotion built into the agreement that I was paid for!

Back