Media Mikey – is he avoiding Lomachenko?

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Spence fight has not been confirmed yet. Mikey is still talking about his options as recent as yesterday (Lomachenko, Pac, Spence, et al).

Wednesday, October 31

[Timestamped]

Robert Garcia: “But hey, that fight's still there for [the] future. It doesn't have to be... now. Lomachenko's fighting in December. So, you know hopefully he does well and then we get to see him maybe toward the end of next year. Hopefully.”

Avoiding?

Robert Garcia is insinuating that Loma will move too, eventually. If Loma were to stay at 135, which let’s be honest he’s not, then he will be heavily criticized in the future considering Pac-Man and even Marquez to name a few moved up to 147-150.

It is beyond stupid to think he’s avoiding when Mikey isn’t obligated by networks or the same promoter to make Loma or Spence. Theoretically if Mikey were ducking Loma for a bigger that could change his entire career by harder blows while Rigondeaux wasn’t hurt by Loma... cmon..

Mikey ain’t ducking Lomachenko that’s just stupid. He’s attempting to be a 5 Division Champ, nobody in industry could even make up that narrative in avoiding Loma all while Mikey was beating Salido years ago...

This doesn't seem like a question worth debating at this point, unless you think Lomachenko is a tougher opponent than Spence.

Keep in mind that the Spence fight has not been confirmed yet. Mikey is still talking about his options as recent as yesterday (Lomachenko, Pac, Spence, et al).

Wednesday, October 31

[Timestamped]

Robert Garcia: “But hey, that fight's still there for [the] future. It doesn't have to be... now. Lomachenko's fighting in December. So, you know hopefully he does well and then we get to see him maybe toward the end of next year. Hopefully.”

Maybe they are but I got a feeling that they feel the tougher challenge is in Spence and are not sold on Loma

This doesn't seem like a question worth debating at this point, unless you think Lomachenko is a tougher opponent than Spence.
Spence is the tougher fight because he's a large Welterweight and a finisher. That isn't the point, however. As I said in the OP in the very first sentence, the Spence fight hasn't been confirmed yet. The rumors are that they may be in advanced negotiations. However, Mikey left the door wide open the other day in an interview with ESPN Deportes. Here is what he said of note.

"We could not close the agreement [with Commey] because obviously there are a lot of big fights on the horizon for me, obviously people know of my interest in the fight with Errol Spence at welterweight, but there are also fights at 135, 140 and 147 pounds that are very interesting for me and we are trying to specify what is best for us," said Garcia ESPN Deportes.

"We are thinking of fighting in January or February, everything will depend on the fight they give us but in those months we are back. We are going to look for what's best for us, we want to give them great fights, but it is true that Spence interests us as does Lomachenko, Pacquiao and the best."
Mikey Garcia on Dropping IBF: Too Many Big Fights Looming

If he fought Lomachenko as his next significant opponent, which would be on PPV, he'd make good money in a more realistic fight that would be even or close to even on paper. The fight is not only makeable it's also preferred first over the Spence fight according to Mikey's own team (and common sense). Robert has gone on record for a while now stating that Team Lomachenko and Top Rank are already fully on board for Mikey being their next fight of interest for 2019. It's also an easy fight to make according to Robert, and best of all, it isn't a complete mismatch.

So, it begs the question: Why would Mikey fight Spence first on PPV when he could fight Loma on PPV instead, and assuming he wins, fight Spence next on PPV or a bit later? Two guaranteed PPVs are obviously better than one PPV for a fighter's bank account. He would also stand to make even more money if he fought and beat Loma heading into the Spence fight because he'd have more leverage to negotiate at the table.

Spence is the Safer fight. A loss to Spence is no lose situation. Unless he gets permanently hurt(which could happen) there is no damage to his career. He was expected to lose being so much smaller blah blah blah. So he can still be seen as a good fight against Lomo later on. Its a safe/smart play.

A loss to Loma kill a chance for the spence fight later. Fighting Spence first is the smart play.

Spence is the tougher fight because he's a large Welterweight and a finisher. That isn't the point, however. As I said in the OP in the very first sentence, the Spence fight hasn't been confirmed yet. The rumors are that they may be in advanced negotiations. However, Mikey left the door wide open the other day in an interview with ESPN Deportes. Here is what he said of note.

"We could not close the agreement [with Commey] because obviously there are a lot of big fights on the horizon for me, obviously people know of my interest in the fight with Errol Spence at welterweight, but there are also fights at 135, 140 and 147 pounds that are very interesting for me and we are trying to specify what is best for us," said Garcia ESPN Deportes.

"We are thinking of fighting in January or February, everything will depend on the fight they give us but in those months we are back. We are going to look for what's best for us, we want to give them great fights, but it is true that Spence interests us as does Lomachenko, Pacquiao and the best."
Mikey Garcia on Dropping IBF: Too Many Big Fights Looming

If he fought Lomachenko as his next significant opponent, which would be on PPV, he'd make good money in a more realistic fight that would be even or close to even on paper. The fight is not only makeable it's also preferred first over the Spence fight according to Mikey's own team (and common sense). Robert has gone on record for a while now stating that Team Lomachenko and Top Rank are already fully on board for Mikey being their next fight of interest for 2019. It's also an easy fight to make according to Robert, and best of all, it isn't a complete mismatch.

So, it begs the question: Why would Mikey fight Spence first on PPV when he could fight Loma on PPV instead, and assuming he wins, fight Spence next on PPV or a bit later? Two guaranteed PPVs are obviously better than one PPV for a fighter's bank account. He would also stand to make even more money if he fought and beat Loma heading into the Spence fight because he'd have more leverage to negotiate at the table.

Fighting Spence first is the only way to really guarantee 2 PPV for Mikey.

1 PPV s Spence loss doesn't hurt his PPV vs Loma. It can still be mad.

A loss to Loma will take away any PPV vs Spence. No way he would move up to Spence after a loss to Loma. So why take that fight now when it is always gonna be there.

Mikey is going to fight whoever makes PBC and Showtime the most money (in house) and its not going to be Lomachenko

Who knows? Maybe Loma got him shook. I doubt it though.
Fighting Spence first is the only way to really guarantee 2 PPV for Mikey.

1 PPV s Spence loss doesn't hurt his PPV vs Loma. It can still be mad.

A loss to Loma will take away any PPV vs Spence. No way he would move up to Spence after a loss to Loma. So why take that fight now when it is always gonna be there.

I suppose in a way you might be right, but Mikey is never gonna be able to pull the trigger again after the beating Spence puts on him. he's all about timing and openings opponent give him, he'll be too gunshy to capitalize on guys like Loma. He needs to be the best Garcia still to fight Loma, and instead he'll be coming in off a KO. Loma will kill him post Spence, I'll hate never knowing how it would've gone down if Garcia/Spence fight first.

When Mikey creeped up on Lomachenko on ESPN to make the fight, he got that advice from Leo Santa Cruz and Carl Frampton on how they did it towards Rigondeaux

Come on. How long have you been following the sport? This is not how it works. He has nothing to lose fighting Spence. If he lost against Spence people will say he just lost to the bigger guy. Losing to Lomachenko is a lot more embarrassing and damaging to his legacy.

Losing to Spence still leaves the Loma fight open so he can fight both spence and loma but if he was to fight Loma first and lose more than likely he wouldn't get a fight with Spence. Same goes for when Brook fought GGG first before Spence.

Will still be surprised if Mikey fights Spence, has a Brook/GGG look to it. And Mikey's not know for taking risks.

He does have a massive head though, maybe he can take the shots?

960.jpg

Will still be surprised if Mikey fights Spence, has a Brook/GGG look to it. And Mikey's not know for taking risks.

He does have a massive head though, maybe he can take the shots?

960.jpg
yeah he looks a lot bigger than lomachenko.

that melon sized noggin isn't going to help him when spence hits him with his brick loaded fists, though.

yeah he looks a lot bigger than lomachenko.

that melon sized noggin isn't going to help him when spence hits him with his brick loaded fists, though.

Mikey’s defense is nothing like Brook, Algieri, or a Bundu. Mikey has had more tougher wars in Sparring than those mentioned. The Garcia family will know how to train for that power. I’m just saying a solid A Game defense and pot shotting can win over Spence. Where was GGG’s power shots against Canelo, especially in the first fight? As Lennox Lewis states, you can’t hit what you can’t catch.

Yes, he's avoiding Lomachenko by taking a tougher, less winnable fight.

Genius.

Who knows? Maybe Loma got him shook. I doubt it though.

I suppose in a way you might be right, but Mikey is never gonna be able to pull the trigger again after the beating Spence puts on him. he's all about timing and openings opponent give him, he'll be too gunshy to capitalize on guys like Loma. He needs to be the best Garcia still to fight Loma, and instead he'll be coming in off a KO. Loma will kill him post Spence, I'll hate never knowing how it would've gone down if Garcia/Spence fight first.

That's what I was afraid people would say if he took a beating off Spence first before fighting Lomachenko. Mikey will be seen as damaged goods going into a fight with Loma.

Genius.
He's avoiding it because he'll look far more stupid losing to a smaller guy like Loma. It's exactly the same reason Khan was fine fighting Canelo, a fight he was expected to lose but is still ducking a fight with Brook which is much more winnable.

Avoiding?

Robert Garcia is insinuating that Loma will move too, eventually. If Loma were to stay at 135, which let’s be honest he’s not, then he will be heavily criticized in the future considering Pac-Man and even Marquez to name a few moved up to 147-150.

It is beyond stupid to think he’s avoiding when Mikey isn’t obligated by networks or the same promoter to make Loma or Spence. Theoretically if Mikey were ducking Loma for a bigger that could change his entire career by harder blows while Rigondeaux wasn’t hurt by Loma... cmon..

Mikey ain’t ducking Lomachenko that’s just stupid. He’s attempting to be a 5 Division Champ, nobody in industry could even make up that narrative in avoiding Loma all while Mikey was beating Salido years ago...
Dude pac and Floyd started out young, their body naturally filled out to 147 loma is older not much more filling out for him 140 max

Genius.
He hasn’t took it yet, he is notorious for dropping big names then fighting journeyman

Back