Media Mikey – is he avoiding Lomachenko?

stop crying on the site bro. did you lose real money on this fight?
What's the matter got nothing decent to say? You can't actually deal with the points I put up so you just start going off on some weak tangent. Troll is predictable.

Spence vs Mikey "Could" look like this.

Spence is the Safer fight. A loss to Spence is no lose situation. Unless he gets permanently hurt(which could happen) there is no damage to his career. He was expected to lose being so much smaller blah blah blah. So he can still be seen as a good fight against Lomo later on. Its a safe/smart play.

A loss to Loma kill a chance for the spence fight later. Fighting Spence first is the smart play.
That theory didn't work out so well for Brook.

<41>

Ducking Loma to fight a bigger, tougher Errol Spence? LOL

Come on. How long have you been following the sport? This is not how it works. He has nothing to lose fighting Spence. If he lost against Spence people will say he just lost to the bigger guy. Losing to Lomachenko is a lot more embarrassing and damaging to his legacy.

Losing to Spence still leaves the Loma fight open so he can fight both spence and loma but if he was to fight Loma first and lose more than likely he wouldn't get a fight with Spence. Same goes for when Brook fought GGG first before Spence.

Do people really think Garcia has nothing to lose? Career-altering beatings happen in the sport. I think Garcia/Lomachenko makes more sense, but anyone who thinks Garcia is avoiding Lomachenko by fighting a much more dangerous fighter is approaching this from a really bizarre angle.

Do people really think Garcia has nothing to lose? Career-altering beatings happen in the sport. I think Garcia/Lomachenko makes more sense, but anyone who thinks Garcia is avoiding Lomachenko by fighting a much more dangerous fighter is approaching this from a really bizarre angle.
Why? Garcia is obviously a fighter who cares about his legacy. Losing to the much bigger Spence doesn't hurt that, but losing to the much smaller Loma would be terrible for his reputation. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that?

Why? Garcia is obviously a fighter who cares about his legacy. Losing to the much bigger Spence doesn't hurt that, but losing to the much smaller Loma would be terrible for his reputation. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that?

I'm saying it's a silly argument. If you're going up two weight classes to fight one of the most dangerous guys in the sport, then you're not avoiding anyone. If he goes back to LW after fighting Spence and then refuses to pursue a Lomachenko fight, then you can talk about him avoiding Lomachenko. Until then, I think it's ridiculous to make that claim.

Yawn.. When Mikey signs one of the big fights wake me up. Been over Mikey for awhile

I'm saying it's a silly argument. If you're going up two weight classes to fight one of the most dangerous guys in the sport, then you're not avoiding anyone. If he goes back to LW after fighting Spence and then refuses to pursue a Lomachenko fight, then you can talk about him avoiding Lomachenko. Until then, I think it's ridiculous to make that claim.
Like you said, if he goes back down. His brother says he wants him at 140 and that if he were to fight Loma after he'll either go back down or try a catchweight. Mikey will be putting on muscle if he ends up fighting Spence. Right now though, Team Garcia has been very clear in telling everybody to pump the breaks on the Spence talk. They're leaving their options open and this is coming from Mikey himself.

Also, his brother isn't going to let him take a career altering beating. If you need proof of that then the Salido fight should suffice. Once his nose was broken by that headbutt Robert intervened. Spence is a "possible" fight that could happen but may not. Mikey hasn't even been in the gym to start training according to Robert.

Is he confirmed to be fighter either of them anytime soon...

It's a not a silly argument. Let me ask you this who do you expect to win between Spence and Garcia? And why do you expect them to win?

Also, his brother isn't going to let him take a career altering beating. If you need proof of that then the Salido fight should suffice. Once his nose was broken by that headbutt Robert intervened. Spence is a "possible" fight that could happen but may not. Mikey hasn't even been in the gym to start training according to Robert.
Dom Ingle wasn't going to let Brook take career altering beatings vs. GGG and Spence, but, he still came out of there with shattered orbital bones.

It's a not a silly argument. Let me ask you this who do you expect to win between Spence and Garcia? And why do you expect them to win?

I'm trying to connect the dots between the ideas that I favour Spence to win and Garcia is ducking Lomachenko. Having a hard time, though.

Like you said, if he goes back down. His brother says he wants him at 140 and that if he were to fight Loma after he'll either go back down or try a catchweight. Mikey will be putting on muscle if he ends up fighting Spence. Right now though, Team Garcia has been very clear in telling everybody to pump the breaks on the Spence talk. They're leaving their options open and this is coming from Mikey himself.

Well, if Garcia doesn't fight one of Spence or Lomachenko for the first half of 2019, then you can start talking ducking. Until then, it's more than a little dumb.

I'm trying to connect the dots between the ideas that I favour Spence to win and Garcia is ducking Lomachenko. Having a hard time, though.
Exactly you favour Spence to win. The majority of people think that Spence is going to annihilate Garcia as well. So it's a given that Garcia is going to lose, that's what pretty much everybody thinks. So why is he taking a fight that everyone expects him to lose? Because he doesn't care if he loses that's why. If he loses he'll be losing to the bigger man so he has an inbuilt excuse. BUT if he fights Lomachenko and loses then he ruins his reputation. After all how can he be the bigger guy and lose to the smaller fighter? Because he was never that good to begin with that's why. A loss to Lomachenko ruins his legacy but a loss to Spence doesn't effect it whatsoever.

Well, if Garcia doesn't fight one of Spence or Lomachenko for the first half of 2019, then you can start talking ducking. Until then, it's more than a little dumb.
I never used the word "duck" here (though it looks like one), I asked a question. It could very well be stalling. I believe Mikey will do what Robert mentioned and that's ask for Loma at a catchweight.

Exactly you favour Spence to win. The majority of people think that Spence is going to annihilate Garcia as well. So it's a given that Garcia is going to lose, that's what pretty much everybody thinks. So why is he taking a fight that everyone expects him to lose? Because he doesn't care if he loses that's why. If he loses he'll be losing to the bigger man so he has an inbuilt excuse. BUT if he fights Lomachenko and loses then he ruins his reputation. After all how can he be the bigger guy and lose to the smaller fighter? Because he was never that good to begin with that's why. A loss to Lomachenko ruins his legacy but a loss to Spence doesn't effect it whatsoever.
Frank Lotierzo (a former boxer turned journalist) wrote this article for The Sweet Science back in July when Mikey formally called out Spence after beating Easter. Lotierzo has been showering Mikey with praise for years and, if anything, has certainly been a big critic of Lomachenko. Here are a few paragraphs that entertain the same theory that's allegedly so "bizarre" to some.

Mikey Garcia Isn’t Fooling Everyone
The fight the boxing world is clamoring for is Mikey Garcia vs. Vasyl Lomachenko, two fighters who started at 126 and now are clearly the alpha dogs at 135. But Garcia acts as if Lomachenko doesn’t exist and seldom if ever mentions him. It appears Garcia thinks by challenging Spence nobody sees that he may be trying to duck Lomachenko. And as hard as it is to believe, I’ve seen where some even buy it when the reality is that from the standpoint of his career legacy, Lomachenko poses the greater risk.

Versus Lomachenko, Mikey would have no parachute to break the fall if he lost because going in the fight would be a tossup on paper. Garcia and Lomachenko are the same age and they’re the same size with contrasting styles and both are considered top five pound for pound fighters by keen observers. Yes, there’s plenty of risk in facing Lomachenko because there simply is no bailout excuse for a bad showing. Garcia is one of the most intelligent fighters in boxing and he no doubt knows Lomachenko’s boxing style and quickness could give him an ulcer tactically.

This space is never used to rip fighters or challenge their courage; others can do that. Regular readers of this column know how highly I rate Mikey Garcia. In fact, Lomachenko has had tougher sailing in this space. However, we must call them as we see them and it’s starting to look as if Mikey doesn’t want to face Lomachenko because the risk of losing is too great and by challenging a monster like Spence he’ll get a pass for skipping Lomachenko. Wrong. Fight and beat Lomachenko first and then go after Spence or Terence Crawford if you’re serious about winning the welterweight title.

However, we must call them as we see them and it’s starting to look as if Mikey doesn’t want to face Lomachenko because the risk of losing is too great and by challenging a monster like Spence he’ll get a pass for skipping Lomachenko. Wrong. Fight and beat Lomachenko first and then go after Spence or Terence Crawford if you’re serious about winning the welterweight title.
This guy summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Losing to a guy who I I've seen you talk about frequently as potentially one of the greatest fighters of all time isn't going to destroy Garcia's legacy, whatever people think his legacy may be. Garcia is a very good fighter, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who talks about him as if he's already an all-time great.

I'd rather see Garcia/Lomachenko than Garcia/Spence, but you won't hear me going around claiming Garcia is a duck after taking the considerable risk of fighting a guy like Spence. It's very easy to talk on a forum about how fighting a destroyer like Spence isn't a big deal, but it's not ridiculous at all to say that he is risking his career going forward by taking on this type of challenge. I don't think it's a good idea, but I'm sure as hell not going to talk about him ducking because he wants to follow through with it.

Losing to a guy who I I've seen you talk about frequently as potentially one of the greatest fighters of all time isn't going to destroy Garcia's legacy, whatever people think his legacy may be. Garcia is a very good fighter, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who talks about him as if he's already an all-time great.

I'd rather see Garcia/Lomachenko than Garcia/Spence, but you won't hear me going around claiming Garcia is a duck after taking the considerable risk of fighting a guy like Spence. It's very easy to talk on a forum about how fighting a destroyer like Spence isn't a big deal, but it's not ridiculous at all to say that he is risking his career going forward by taking on this type of challenge. I don't think it's a good idea, but I'm sure as hell not going to talk about him ducking because he wants to follow through with it.
You're getting me wrong. I'm not saying he is ducking Loma only because he is 'going' to fight Spence, I'm saying he is ducking Loma because Robert was so woolly when he was talking about a fight with Loma. 'Maybe' 'At the end of the year....' Loma is a fight that can happen NOW. Loma wants it, Arum is on board, there is nothing stopping this fight from happening other than Garcia's team being reluctant. Fighting Spence gives him an out because (and this is me being cynical) he'll go up in weight and then he can claim that he can't come down to 135 again and Loma will have to meet him at a catch weight or not at all. This is really dumb because Loma is at the same weight as him now. Why not fight Loma, a fighter who is already in the same weight class AND then fight the monster Spence at the higher weight class. Nope he'd rather chase the monster than fight Loma. It doesn't make any sense unless Garcia is trying to avoid fighting Loma.

And yeah losing to Loma who is a smaller fighter will look bad on Garcia who wants to be one of the P4P greats. For P4P it's never good to lose to someone smaller than you.

Back