Mighty Mouse is just plain scared.

He isn't scared. UFC wants a marquee fight and he wants marquee money.

Perhaps he's scared, perhaps he's comfortable in his division.

It's not like he dropped down to beat smaller guys. He IS a smaller guy, even in his current division.
They all cut weight, he is only small by height standards. Flyweight as a division was built for him personally. He can be comfortable in his own division and still fight TJ but he refuses to. If your height is such an issue that you have to cut to the weight of a 14 year old boy to become the P4P #1 you can't be one of the greats.

I love Mighty Mouse, I have seen every single one of his fights since Pickett. DJ is an amazing fighter who has a hall of fame career already. At this point though I am starting to lose interest in him because of his fear of TJ.

Let's remember that mighty mouse ran away from the 135 division(where he only had one loss in the UFC). He fought someone with more skill than him in Cruz and then fled the entire division. Now here we are 13 cans later, and he has the opportunity to cement himself as one of the greatest by beating the bantamweight champion (at 125 lbs) but he refuses because he is scared. DJ "couldn't" fight TJ and now suddenly he is on the same card.

Instead of the biggest fight of his career he decided to take the safe option and defend his belt against a former foe whose record since the first time they fought is 2-1. A former foe in Henry Cejudo that he already beat by TKO in the first round. Mighty Mouse is outright scared of TJ, or more so the fact that if he loses to TJ his entire storybook career that has been artificially built around him will come crashing down.

He is not scare of TJ. He is a fighter who fights for money and I am sure he wants 2 million plus to fight TJ. He just needs to get paid. He lost to Cruz who is huge Bantam Weight and was getting the better of Cruz in the standup so Cruz brought the fight to the round. That DJ had a full-time job and was a part-time fighter. If they fight at 125 he finisheds TJ inside of 3 rounds. If they fight at 135 it is a toss up fight with DJ as a slight favorite.

Dana needs to book the fight and threaten fire him if he doesn’t take it
Dude makes a comfortable living playing video games. You think he cares about getting fired?

Perhaps he's scared, perhaps he's comfortable in his division.

It's not like he dropped down to beat smaller guys. He IS a smaller guy, even in his current division.

Ehhhhh.. I don't think he's that little for 125, he's got some muscle on him to make up for being a little shorter & he does have good trainers and coaches, and even tho I'm not a fan, I don't think he's necessarily scared.. I just think with some guys, and this is my honest opinion, they are okay with fighting lesser competition for easy paychecks, especially in the UFC where win money/show money is in effect and performance bonuses are up for the taking. Beat a guy like Ray Borg, flip him in the air and do that arm bar thing, boom, 50 grand.

I don't think MM is scared, per se... I think he's wise. He knows a brutal loss will ruin his stock (which isn't high to begin with), so he's demanding a ridiculous amount of money he doesn't deserve to offset the damage to his stock and future pay when he loses. If you're being pressured into a no-win situation you've gotta find a way to come out clean. Either you outright duck or you demand more money.

So, I don't think he's a coward who's scared - I think he's a businessman looking to keep money in his pockets.

13 cans that would annihilate you in about 4 seconds.

He's scared of TJ, but fought Dom. And half of his career at 135. Right.

How about the UFC pays MM what he is asking for, for that fight? They have enough to shell out 500k to CM punk, 800k to Alistair, 500k to Mark Hunt. Give MM his 1mm he's asked for. Doesn't seem that difficult.

He hasn't done anything to earn that money. He does not promote himself aside from playing video games.

I never said I would beat him up, why do all fanboys immediately scream "THEY WOULD ALL BEAT YOU UP!!!?!?!!!".

He is terrified of TJ so he fought fucking Ray Borg instead, now he is fighting someone he already beat. Why in the world would the pay him when he refuses the fight that will actually make money.

If the UFC offered to pay him nicely and he ducked out.. I think it's fair to talk some shit.

Nobody really cares about his division, the UFC should scrap it and make all fighters move up.

I dont think MM (or any other fighter) is scared....but he's asking for money he cant earn. Whats the UFC gonna do just pay him for the fuck of it?

I love Mighty Mouse, I have seen every single one of his fights since Pickett. DJ is an amazing fighter who has a hall of fame career already. At this point though I am starting to lose interest in him because of his fear of TJ.

Let's remember that mighty mouse ran away from the 135 division(where he only had one loss in the UFC). He fought someone with more skill than him in Cruz and then fled the entire division. Now here we are 13 cans later, and he has the opportunity to cement himself as one of the greatest by beating the bantamweight champion (at 125 lbs) but he refuses because he is scared. DJ "couldn't" fight TJ and now suddenly he is on the same card.

Instead of the biggest fight of his career he decided to take the safe option and defend his belt against a former foe whose record since the first time they fought is 2-1. A former foe in Henry Cejudo that he already beat by TKO in the first round. Mighty Mouse is outright scared of TJ, or more so the fact that if he loses to TJ his entire storybook career that has been artificially built around him will come crashing down.

Gotta say TS, it doesn't sound like you really like the guy very much. It also sounds like the UFC won't pay the man what he deserves for a "Superfight" like DJ/TJ, which sucks. I would like to see this fight happen also.

OP you are saying the 5'3 (maybe) fighter who doesn't have issues making 125... ran away from the 135lb division?

The only reason Dom won that fight was because of size. DJ was outstriking Dom.. but he would keeping getting in the bad habit of clinching Dom... to which Dom would just fall over on him.

The whole fight I was like STOP CLINCHING STOP!... but it was just habit in his fight style. Strike strike clinch.

I am surprised they aren't forcing him to fight TJ at this point. His division is beyond empty, just get rid of it and force everyone to move up.

In my opinion the UFC just needs to make the fight and if Johnson refuses then strip him of the belt. Champions should not be able to pick and choose who they fight. They are supposed to be the best in their division. So what if the challenger is dropping down in weight and its not up to the champion on weather they earned the shot or not. Just fight the fights that are made for you. It's the UFC belt not the mighty mouse belt. Just my opinion.

Conor got to pick who he fights, and he wasn't even a champion when he was doing it.

DJ IS the best in his division. nobody has beaten him at 125lbs.

what you're suggesting he does, is EXACTLY what the UFC wants. you understand that UFC will take advantage of you if you just do whatever they say? being a prize fighter you have to be a hard nosed negotiator because if you lose, or you get injured or whatever, the UFC doesn't care. they still made money. losing a fight and a title means absolutely nothing for UFC, they only care about THE FIGHT itself, and whether it happens and if it's good. that's it. they don't care if you win or lose, or you get injured. the only person who cares about you, IS YOU.

DJ is trying to extract a big payday because he understands all the risk taking is on HIM, not on TJ, not on the UFC, JUST HIM. and i can understand for wanting to get paid for one of the biggest fights of your career. especially knowing that the UFC is irritated with you, imagine if he loses? the UFC could dump him after his contract runs and that's it for his career basically. so he has to make this one count if he's to take it.

Gotta say TS, it doesn't sound like you really like the guy very much. It also sounds like the UFC won't pay the man what he deserves for a "Superfight" like DJ/TJ, which sucks. I would like to see this fight happen also.
I can be a fan of someone without blindly defending them. Anyone who actually thinks he deserves that much money are blinded by their DJ fandom. He is asking for an amount he does not deserve and takes easy fights for less money. Fighters don't get cashed out just because they take a difficult fight(especially if you are #1 P4P GOAT Champion).

mm is a ducker is that breaking news?

It's always possible it's a matter of ideal timing as to when to schedule the superfight with TJ. The only way it can reliably be called ducking is if TJ makes FlyW and MM still declines. Otherwise, superfights between champions are not the same as title defenses; they're not something a champion is obligated to take in the way a title defense against a guy who can make their weight class is.

Because his previous fights were selling ppv?
Ummm, no, that's the point I was making. He isn't selling PPVs now and is winning relatively easy fights against 125 lb fighters. UFC wants him to challenge himself against TJ in a "Superfight" but reality is it wouldn't be a super fight when it comes to dollars and cents. MM is taking on a much more dangerous risk with not much more reward. The reward is money, and the UFC isn't offering enough of it to make up the difference in risk of fighting another random 125 lb contender vs fighting TJ.

MM making 500k to fight another 125 lb contender vs MM making 650k to fight TJ. You take the 500k. The UFC has to make it more financial enticing to MM. But they don't want to because they also don't see dollars in this fight.

This fight is great to think about for hardcore fans but it isn't going to sell to casuals.

Didn't even need to read to tell you that I don't think he is scared, it is a business decision. He is already unpopular as it is, if he is going to risk his unbeaten streak, which is what barely keeps him relevant, he better do it for some real cash. As much as I would like to see the fight, I can't blame him.

i know

just don't count him under the same league as the real legends

Back