Michael Bisping: It Wont Be a Fluke if Conor McGregor Knocks Out Floyd Mayweather!

Not as old as people insisting that well timed and well placed punches are flukes. Too many good, clean KOs are called flukes simply because some fans thought their fighter couldn't lose.
Even a well-timed, well-placed knockout punch by Conor would be considered a fluke because of the huge discrepancy in both experience and skill between the two. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it would be the mother of all flukes if it did.

In mma I wouldn't call it a fluke but with boxing gloves to k.o. the best defensive boxer it's just so unlikely and depends on enough variables beyond Conor's control to call it a fluke. Its about time we move on from the naive lay notion that each and every decision/action a fighter makes is 100% based on certainty and not on split second "bets" he makes about what will his oppponnent do, where and when will his body be and mine considering each's speed etc etc etc. Thats why even the best fighters from time to time miss grossely their offenses and or defenses.

Personally I think Conor will get schooled and could even be koed in later rounds if he gasses.

I wonder why Bisping changed his tune.

Dear Bisping,

Anderson Silva made you bleed and handed your ass to ya. THAT IS WHAT IS CALLED A FLUKE!

Conor winning depends so much more on Mayweather making huge mistakes than it depends on Conor doing anything right.

Of course he has to be ready to capitalize. But Mayweather is so much ahead skillwise and much better at everything Conor does best boxing-wise.

If he did knock him out (big if)

it won't be a fluke, I'm sure Conor is training to knock him out

A fluke doesn't mean impossible just an extremely low probability of occurring. Floyd beating 49 boxers who have all spent a lifetime perfecting one particular aspect of fighting and then losing to someone who for all intents and purposes is a novice, is the epitome of a fluke.

No it isn't. A KO puncher getting a KO isn't a fluke. And you certainly can't say before the fight is even official that one guy winning a fight is an unequivocal fluke.

If Conor wins, it's because father time caught up with Floyd.

That is the only thing it will be.

It doesn't prove Conor is a better boxer, it proves what we all know.

Anything can happen in a fight......

That said, its not happening.

Well one of the synonyms was "accident". Which you used i believe. But it also states that its an unlikely occurance. Ill explain.

If i buy a lottery ticket, im intending to win. But if i do, its still a fluke, since me doing the exact same thing next week is unlikely to happen.
No that's not a fluke; it's not an unlikely "chance" occurrence, it's just an unlikely occurrence.

A fluke is like if you're playing pool, completely miss the ball you're aiming for, bank off the side, hit a group of 3 and put them all into different pockets.

Further illustration; a chance occurrence is something that happens by pure coincidence. Like running into a friend at a bar when neither of you had made any plans to meet there.

of course it would be..... its not like Conor is known for KO'ing people

wait a minute

Well one of the synonyms was "accident". Which you used i believe. But it also states that its an unlikely occurance. Ill explain.

If i buy a lottery ticket, im intending to win. But if i do, its still a fluke, since me doing the exact same thing next week is unlikely to happen.
Actually that's not a fluke. A fluke would be you finding a winning ticket. As a strict definition they are correct, but also incorrect.

For instance say you throw a punch intending it to land, and there is a 2mm space where if it lands in that space, at the exact time your opponent opens their mouth to breathe you will KO the opponent. You are not intending it to land exactly there at that exact time, you just want to connect, and by chance it lands in that exact spot, at that exact time. That can be seen as a fluke.

Of course it won't be a fluke. A fluke is an accident; if Conor throws a punch and it lands where he wants it to, knocking Floyd out, then it's the opposite of a fluke.

It's just highly unlikely to happen.
I have seen this argument regarding flukes countless times and it is always wrong. Flukes are events that are unlikely and not repeatable. Conor winning by KO can be a fluke, just like Matt Serra's win against GSP since it is highly unlikely it is repeatable. If Conor lands a KO it will be a fluke.

A fluke doesn't mean impossible just an extremely low probability of occurring.
Close, there is also another element .. chance .. that you are missing. A chance occurrence is one that is unforseen.

I have seen this argument regarding flukes countless times and it is always wrong. Flukes are events that are unlikely and not repeatable. Conor winning by KO can be a fluke, just like Matt Serra's win against GSP since it is highly unlikely it is repeatable. If Conor lands a KO it will be a fluke.
You are right and wrong. I find Serra's KO a fluke, but something unlikely is not a fluke.

Two fighters can throw the same kick with the same result, with the same low odds, and one can be a fluke and one is not a fluke.

You are right and wrong. I find Serra's KO a fluke, but something unlikely is not a fluke.

Two fighters can throw the same kick with the same result, with the same low odds, and one can be a fluke and one is not a fluke.
Something unlikely or in other words, some event with low probability of happening and most likely can't be repeated, is the definition of a fluke. I think given each's boxing records... Conor getting a KO would be a fluke.

Sorry, but you don't know what a fluke is. Flukes are unlikely events that happen by chance, not by design. If you plan on knocking someone out and it happens it's not a fluke, no matter how unlikely you are to succeed. Nothing you do intentionally is a fluke, by factual definition.

I realize this forum has made a habit of using this word incorrectly, and that's likely what confuses so many of you, but you're wrong.

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but this post proves what I said. Unlikely CHANCE occurrence; now look up the definition of chance.

Note the synonyms and how they all explicitly express lack of intention or design.

It completely refutes what you said. You say that it wouldn't be a fluke, but then go on to admit it would be a highly unlikely thing to happen... Even though that's part of the definition of the word Fluke.

People need to stop saying that just because you intend to do something, it can't be a fluke or contributed to luck. It's silly.

Back