"#Metoo" coming up on your Facebook newsfeed?

Oh, certainly, though I'd say far less common based on the fact that men tend to occupy those positions...except school teachers, though both sexes have abused that power. I was merely responding to the physical force argument, I know it's a general hashtag, but once physical force becomes involved I'd consider it rape.
Rape requires penetration as far as I know, every sexual act short of that falls under the umbrella term of sexual assault. I think there are other charges too in between but that's generally the difference as far as I know.

But I guess the point I was making is that the physical force scenario might not be as common as one thinks. A lot of the cases we're hearing about have to do with positions of power and those can just as easily affect men, maybe more so depending on the circumstance such as within schools as you mentioned.

Sexual assault / harassment is a horrid thing. But at the same time these hashtag fads, changing your profile pic to whatever flag of the week, dumping cold water on yourself etc, etc is such an intellectually lazy way to lend " support" to whatever cause you fancy.

reeks of self wankery more than it comes off genuine IMO

Right but as I said there's also going to be differences within industries. Professions that have been more open to gay people are more likely to have them in positions of power that they can abuse. It only takes one person in a position of power with the will to abuse it to lead to many cases of abuse, just look at Cosby and Weinstein for an example.

Men abusing younger men and boys is often rumored to occur in Hollywood just as Weinstein's abuses were the stuff of rumors for some time so I think that sort of abuse of younger men happens more often than those of us outside the industry would imagine. I'm not saying that means the risk to men in those positions necessarily equals that of women generally, just that its higher than one might think given the fact that gay men are a small minority nationally.

I'll confess to not being sure what point we're debating, lol. But there are certainly men abusing other men in many industries and certainly the higher you go, the more influence any given individual can have over those below them. I don't think the scale regarding men is remotely close to that for women, except in cases like prison or the military.

That's not to say that when men are victims they are any less deserving of empathy and support than women but I think it would a stretch to place the magnitude of the abuse or the potential to be a victim of abuse side by side.

Take a random woman in a random field and the potential that she will encounter someone willing to abuse their power at her expense is significantly more likely. Not just at the top of the food chain but also at her level within it.

Sure, a random man has a risk but it's mitigated by the reality that gay men aren't particularly prevalent, even in industries that are favorable to them like the arts and that women are often less likely to be at the top of food chain and less likely to demonstrate dominance via sexual acts - partially because powerful men are more likely to sexualize their workspace (amusingly high powered women eat with less inhibition - http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~keltner/publications/keltner.power.psychreview.2003.pdf).

I wonder how many men have been sexually harrassed in American prisons.

I wonder how many men have been sexually harrassed in American prisons.
You need to make a trending hashtag otherwise people will not care.
I don't think the hashtag is exclusive to women. If men who had been abused in prison or the military or any other setting used it I don't think anyone would find it odd or against the spirit of the hashtag.

I would conservatively estimate 90% of women have been sexually harassed if we're including stuff like cat calling.

That being said i cant help be wonder if the motivation for some posting is more so to bring attention to themselves than the issue at large.

Anyone remember #BringBackOurGirls being replaced in like a week with #YesAllWomen ?

I don't think the hashtag is exclusive to women. If men who had been abused in prison or the military or any other setting used it I don't think anyone would find it odd or against the spirit of the hashtag.

Try floating that theory by a feminist. Either they will say it is further evidence if toxic masculinity or use some condescending term like 'mansplaining'

I guess I am behind the times. I do not have facebook or twitter or any of those fancy social media accounts. I just post on Sherdog and sometimes I comment on YouTube videos.

Oh god youtube conments are cancer lol

i have an awesome girl bud onthere who put up @NOtme
;)

massive butthurt from her female friends, for betraying the sisterhood
Honestly that is kind of a shit thing to post. What's the point of it? To gloat about not being sexually assaulted? That's kind of fucked up man.

Try floating that theory by a feminist. Either they will say it is further evidence if toxic masculinity or use some condescending term like 'mansplaining'
I did, they agreed with me.

I would conservatively estimate 90% of women have been sexually harassed if we're including stuff like cat calling.

That being said i cant help be wonder if the motivation for some posting is more so to bring attention to themselves than the issue at large.

Anyone remember #BringBackOurGirls being replaced in like a week with #YesAllWomen ?

But isn't the point of the issue at large that women don't report these things because they don't want the attention.

The point of this hashtag is too encourage women not to keep silent, to become the subject of attention as a result of their alleged assaults. To admit to something and all the attention it brings.

And yes that is different from what @Devout Pessimist was saying where he extended it into the women trying to manipulate and compete for victimhood primacy relative to each other.

Yes. For example:

d5d0be3dedc23bbc12a9cc2aa4402db2--cognitive-dissonance-justin-trudeau.jpg

So you're for women in the work place but not given the right to vote lol. What a weird world you live in.

How? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

1 is accusing an ex boyfriend of a story I know is BS because I was out of state with the guy at the time(she then changed the date of the story to a month prior when this was pointed out) and she refused to go to authorities when me and my GF told her to, 1 is an older woman who's accusing an ex-husband of rape while they were married(never went to cops, when they split up every friend they had cut her off completely because of something she did to their son) and the 3rd one is a batshit crazy cousin who told a story about how Justin Timberlake raped her after a Backstreet Boys concert(she apparently didn't know what band he was in while crafting the tale).

With certainty I can say 2 are bullshit, the second one I can never be sure of but it would be beyond 'out of character' for the guy, and the lady lying about it is 99% likely, so I'm comfortable with my conclusion.

I just keep my mouth shut on this sorta topic because I have nothing meaningful to add and I just don't get any kicks out of shaming obvious immoral behavior.

So you're for women in the work place but not given the right to vote lol. What a weird world you live in.

I think there should be more required than simply turning 18 to vote. There should at least be a basic test that shows the potential voter has some basic political knowledge and then be issued a license to vote. If voting is considered to be so important, then why can any moron 18 and older vote.

it's purpose is cognitive dissonance...

It is disturbing just how many women have stories like this. Unfortunately, my shock meter wore out on that a long time ago, I just assume most chicks have some bad experiences with real sexual harassment or assault at this point. We take it for granted as dudes, but it really is a benefit to walk around in life and not have half the population wanting to stick their dick in you. Women put up with a lot of shit in that regard. As far as the recent trendy sharing of it / #MeToo thing, hey whatever takes the stigma off it. Maybe it helps give some perspective to some guys who don't realize how often it happens, and to how many women. Maybe it helps some ladies feel less shitty about their own situations, so they can own their lives and move on.

It is disturbing just how many women have stories like this. Unfortunately, my shock meter wore out on that a long time ago, I just assume most chicks have some bad experiences with real sexual harassment or assault at this point. We take it for granted as dudes, but it really is a benefit to walk around in life and not have half the population wanting to stick their dick in you. Women put up with a lot of shit in that regard. As far as the recent trendy sharing of it / #MeToo thing, hey whatever takes the stigma off it. Maybe it helps give some perspective to some guys who don't realize how often it happens, and to how many women. Maybe it helps some ladies feel less shitty about their own situations, so they can own their lives and move on.
yeah it doesnt bother me that people wish to raise awareness ..what bothers me is a thread of males shitting on it for what reason? i dunno SMH

Back