Mark Bocek slams WMMA: If a girl has some cool bikini shots she can get into the UFC

Bcause Bocek's sub-par caliber is the direct reason for his retirement, not the success of the BW division.

He competed in the UFC. He made this pinnacle organisation of his sport. Irrespective of his results there - They have no bearing on the statements he has made regarding WMMA or the number of people using PED's.

His argument still stands & nobody has said anything to disprove it. The reason: It's true.

I get that. I don't understand how the calibre of a fighter changes the validity of a statement though.

Mark is bitter because he put in 7 years fighting in the UFC, compiled a solid 8-5 record, worked his ass off, and never really got much recognition for his efforts.

Women's mma is much more important to the sport than Mark Bocek. With the women demographic, you bring the 3.5 billion vagina's into the viewing mix.

With the Mark Bocek demographic, you bring the 6 people who live in Canada into the viewing mix.

People love pretty people regardless of what they bring. Always has been, always will be... life ain't fair, some are blessed, some are not. Looks are just as important if you wanna come up in this world. That's in any profession (hope i spelled that right lol) so... yeah. Stop the crying, you's comin' off sour whoever you are. (?)

He competed in the UFC. He made this pinnacle organisation of his sport. Irrespective of his results there - They have no bearing on the statements he has made regarding WMMA or the number of people using PED's.

His argument still stands & nobody has said anything to disprove it. The reason: It's true.

He said that if you're not using PEDs you deserve to lose. That's like saying "if you don't steal food, you deserve to starve". Makes no sense/

Also, the part about the ladies aren't true either. Fighters like Carmouche have never been in a bikini shot and she still headlined a card. Also, I don't know where he got the "one and a half year training" figure from either.

Mark is bitter because he put in 7 years fighting in the UFC, compiled a solid 8-5 record, worked his ass off, and never really got much recognition for his efforts.

Women's mma is much more important to the sport than Mark Bocek. With the women demographic, you bring the 3.5 billion vagina's into the viewing mix.

With the Mark Bocek demographic, you bring the 6 people who live in Canada into the viewing mix.

Which is what he is saying - 'A small background in MMA & some cool bikini shots & she can get into the UFC'.

I'm specifically referring to the people saying he's wrong.

Bocek can definitely just keep quiet about this for the sake of political correctness but let's not crucify the guy for voicing what he's probably been holding in for years regarding his career and life.

We should be grateful in a way that a fighter who's been there and done that can be honest about this shit that everybody already thinks but rarely say in public.

It's interesting, because on one hand he has a valid point and you can understand the guy's frustration....on the other, everybody is in charge of their own destiny and lilfe/career. If you want to turn things around, you can. Just look at Chael and Conor. Who would have EVER thought that Chael would be marketable, prior to his last UFC run.

it took Chael some "help" to do so...maybe that's part of the point Bocek is trying to make. Bisping has made the same point about some of his past opponents.

he also says in the MMA Hour interview that it's more beneficial for the UFC for athletic commissions to catch guys after the fact then to have the UFC conduct private testing of their own year round and risk guys not making it onto a card.

at least the event is done and the money made when the ACs catch the guys.

in the NFL...does the league test or some athletic governing body when players are suspended?

He said that if you're not using PEDs you deserve to lose. That's like saying "if you don't steal food, you deserve to starve". Makes no sense/

Also, the part about the ladies aren't true either. Fighters like Carmouche have never been in a bikini shot and she still headlined a card. Also, I don't know where he got the "one and a half year training" figure from either.

if everyone is stealing food just to survive and you don't then you definitely deserve to starve, his logic can make sense but he hasn't proven most everyone are taking peds...

Weird that Bocek would say this since most MMA chicks would look terrible in bikinis. I mean unless you like manish chicks in bikinis.

I agree with him about the card placement but he sounds bitter as hell and is blaming everyone under the sun for his mediocre UFC career.

My impression as well. Too bad, he was not a bad fighter. His losses are all to good fighters (Frankie Edgar!). He should accept what he was able to accomplish and reconcile himself to any manner in which he fell short of his expectations. Firing off cheap shots with a scatter gun just leaves a bad taste int he mouth.

"The direction of MMA is they're pushing the female-MMA - Ronda (Rousey) technically the pound-for-pound best fighter," Bocek told The MMA Hour. "We'll put experienced, accomplished male MMA fighters on undercards but we'll put females who started training last year in the co-main event. That direction was part of the persuasion that forced me to get out."

He said that if you're not using PEDs you deserve to lose. And he called out Dana and Lorenzo for not being pro-drug testing, which I don't think is even true.

How he worded the PED statement may have been bad, BUT I would say he was trying to state that it is so rampant that a non taker is definitely the minority, losses means less money.

So when GSP started the testing talk with Hendricks, and Dana said GSP should just stfu and fight, doesn't that come off kind of not being in favour of catching PED users?

Dana has said many times that "the fighters are tested", meaning he thinks the current testing system by the commissions is just fine. I would say their position is far from pro-drug testing. The UFC has the ability to suspend or cut any fighter they want after a failed test, generally they go by what the commission sets down, and no further punishment.

it does make sense though...its like saying "rubbin's racing" or "if youre not cheating, youre not trying."

if you choose not to take PEDs when the landscape is wide open basically allowing you to, its your fault for not getting any more successful than you are. the UFC wants the appearance of a clean org while more or less looking the other way by saying its up to the athletic commissions to do something about it.

not everyone at the top takes PEDs but youre really handicapping yourself if you dont (is what hes saying). eliminate PEDs and level the field.

put it this way...do you think the fights would be more or less exciting if all PEDs were eliminated from the sport? do you think guys would last as long without them? PEDs arent just for strength...recovery time has a lot to do with it.

Felice-Herrig-2.jpg

Who are these newbie girls in the co-main he is referring to? Meisha Tate and Shayna Baszler have been fighting pro for a long ass time. Shayna's been doing it even longer than Bocek.

Who are these newbie girls in the co-main he is referring to? Meisha Tate and Shayna Baszler have been fighting pro for a long ass time. Shayna's been doing it even longer than Bocek.

im guessing Liz Carmouche because he referenced a "Marine who started fighting two years ago" (26:22) in the interview on MMA Hour (which im guessing nobody has actually listened to)...start at 24:30:

http://www.mmafighting.com/mma-hour-segments#ooid=s4M2NsbzpqgKOzSi69c3O9P2fxUMB5XY

Which is what he is saying - 'A small background in MMA & some cool bikini shots & she can get into the UFC'.

I'm specifically referring to the people saying he's wrong.

He is right, no doubt.

But trying to build a larger audience is an important part of the sport. The UFC is trying to grow their brand world wide and increase their viewing audience. You can't fault them for that. If there are some higher level male fighters that can't break into the UFC, and some lower level women that are able to break into the UFC because they look good in a bikini. These male fighters should either a. improve their skills, b. get a sex change and tighten their ass cheeks up, or c. join Bellator.

that's the funniest part, he just comes off very bitter :icon_lol:

He is right, no doubt.

But trying to build a larger audience is an important part of the sport. The UFC is trying to grow their brand world wide and increase their viewing audience. You can't fault them for that. If there are some higher level male fighters that can't break into the UFC, and some lower level women that are able to break into the UFC because they look good in a bikini. These male fighters should either a. improve their skills, b. get a sex change and tighten their ass cheeks up, or c. join Bellator.

B isnt likely so they should just do whatever PEDs they need to accomplish A if their natural ceiling has already been reached or go route C and rack up some exciting wins over there (and hope their lawyer read their contract well).

Bocek is completely right in this case it his thoughts on wmma.

However, in order for wmma to be successful this is how they have to operate and promote it. Mma altogether, especially wmma is way immature for fans to take it seriously like boxing or other pro sports. Mma just doesn't have enough mature and serious fans yet on a mainstream scale that can accept and support the sport for the pure competition. At this point there has to be a gimmick or exploitation.

Back