Mario Yamasaki on Lewis vs Browne stoppage

He's just explaining his thought process, not making excuses. He took full responsibility.

Generally, I probably agree with you. Most of what he said falls under the category of explanation. But then he ended with:

"I know I should have stopped it earlier, but it was so fast I couldn't stop it."

This isn't exactly taking full responsibility. By saying that he "couldn't stop it," he's actually absolving himself of responsibility. And he also throws out the idea that he's sure that Browne was happy that he let the fight go on. He's essentially saying that he messed up, but then trying to mitigate the degree to which he messed up. Most people do this in an effort of self-preservation, but it's not the same thing as "taking full responsibility."

That being said, it wasn't even close to the worst stoppage we've seen. There's certainly no reason to excoriate Mario over this.

I prefer to see fighters get finished. They have the liberty to tap if they want to end the fight. I say let them get pounded to unconsciousness and loaded onto a stretcher.
You're not serious, are you?

I respect that response. Not one of the worst late stoppages tho so I'm not even complaining

Oh boy he hit the guy, stop the fight!! Don't watch MMA pussies.

I was totally fine with it because Travis was the one who was taking the shots. 20 or 30 more punches would have been totally fine with me too

Atleast he acknowledges it, and it was only Travis Browne.
God bless Mario.

"Right in the moment, I already knew that I allowed two extra punches,but the reaction time from a heavyweight is different than a lighter fighter. So when Lewis landed the punch where Browne went out, he was able to land two more before I came in to stop the fight. But, for sure, I should have stopped it a little earlier. Everyone has his days, and I can’t give excuses. It’s hard to please everyone. I try to be as consistent as possible, but sometimes you can’t. I wanted to give him another chance because early in the fight he was getting knocked out standing and he said ‘I'm fine, I’m fine' and I saw that he was trying to defend himself so I let him continue, and on the ground, it went a little longer. I’m sure that Browne likes that we let the fight go on a little longer so he has a chance to come back. No fighter likes early stoppages, but it happens. There’s no excuse. I know I should have stopped it earlier, but it was so fast I couldn't stop it."

from MMAfighting.com
He also added: "If he dies, he dies"
The refs don't have an easy job. On replays you have the benefit of knowing what happened and looking for the right moment but real time in a split second it's got tot be hard to tell.

It's always funny when someone says "there's no excuse," then gives a litany of excuses.

In any event, everyone makes mistakes.
I didn't really take it as an excuse. Its an explanation of what happened with an acknowledgement of a mistake. It dosent make it right or take it back but

I was totally fine with it because Travis was the one who was taking the shots. 20 or 30 more punches would have been totally fine with me too
CAT%2BGIF%2B%25E2%2580%25A2%2BAmazing%2Bboxing%2BCat%2Btraining%2Bfor%2Bspeed%2Band%2Bprecision.gif

"Right in the moment, I already knew that I allowed two extra punches,but the reaction time from a heavyweight is different than a lighter fighter. So when Lewis landed the punch where Browne went out, he was able to land two more before I came in to stop the fight. But, for sure, I should have stopped it a little earlier. Everyone has his days, and I can’t give excuses. It’s hard to please everyone. I try to be as consistent as possible, but sometimes you can’t. I wanted to give him another chance because early in the fight he was getting knocked out standing and he said ‘I'm fine, I’m fine' and I saw that he was trying to defend himself so I let him continue, and on the ground, it went a little longer. I’m sure that Browne likes that we let the fight go on a little longer so he has a chance to come back. No fighter likes early stoppages, but it happens. There’s no excuse. I know I should have stopped it earlier, but it was so fast I couldn't stop it."

from MMAfighting.com
He also added: "If he dies, he dies"

He also added: "Damn woman beater deserved it."

Mario added: 'I kept saying "head movement, head movement" to urge him on but "NOOOOOOO"'

You're not serious, are you?

Call me out, eh? No, not really serious. But in seriousness, I would rather see a fighter flush KO'd so there is absolutely no chance of anyone calling a foul over early stoppages which has been the case many many times. Err on the side of the fighter recovering or tapping.

It was a right stoppage. When it gets stopped early everyone is whining.

It's always funny when someone says "there's no excuse," then gives a litany of excuses.

In any event, everyone makes mistakes.

It's always funny when someone can't tell the difference between "excuses" and "reasons I think I fucked up".

Or between "litany" and "one or two" for that matter.

Cheers for the laugh buddy.

Back