Marc Goddard is the WORST referee currently

All refs make bad calls. I usually find Goddard not bad, but in the "Doumbe splinter gate" case, it was awful and ethically questionable.
He went on a power trip and rushed to stop a fight when there was absolutely no urgency. It smells a lot like he was punishing Doumbe for being a loud mouth outside the cage.

He could have taken time to assess the situation. It would have taken 10s and he could still have stopped the fight after that.
He could just have told Doumbe to fight or get TKOd, that would have been the bare minimum.

Instead he disqualified without warning a guy who was fully in fighting stance after the opponent interrupted the fight.
Absurd and unfair.

All refs make bad calls. I usually find Goddard not bad, but in the "Doumbe splinter gate" case, it was awful and ethically questionable.
He went on a power trip and rushed to stop a fight when there was absolutely no urgency. It smells a lot like he was punishing Doumbe for being a loud mouth outside the cage.

He could have taken time to assess the situation. It would have taken 10s and he could still have stopped the fight after that.
He could just have told Doumbe to fight or get TKOd, that would have been the bare minimum.

Instead he disqualified without warning a guy who was fully in fighting stance after the opponent interrupted the fight.
Absurd and unfair.
I'm sorry I still haven't watched the clip of this incident. But I read about it almost everyday around here.

Was the ref able to legally pause the fight to remove the splinter? Was it an error since he paused it? Or was he required to pause to remove the splinter. I feel like it shouldn't warrant a tko since it wasn't like he couldn't continue.

I'm sorry I still haven't watched the clip of this incident. But I read about it almost everyday around here.

Was the ref able to legally pause the fight to remove the splinter? Was it an error since he paused it? Or was he required to pause to remove the splinter. I feel like it shouldn't warrant a tko since it wasn't like he couldn't continue.
He did not know there was a splinter.

Doumbe signaled a problem poiting at his foot, he didn't know the word to use for splinter, so he said he "had something in his foot".

Goddard told him he could not stop, ordered him to fight.
Doumbe went back in fighting stance, and for a few seconds both fighters were just facing each others not throwing anything.
They exchanged a few words, then Baki stopped and turned to the ref (so Doumbe could remove it).
At this time Doumbe pointed at his foot again and Goddard stopped the fight immediately.

Glad to see consistency. Nearly all those early stoppages in that video were truly early.

The more we accept this bullshit of pretending to be morally superior in order to condone stopping fights the second someone is hurt the more careers, lives, and families are sabotaged. Stop fucking with these people's livelihoods. Conform to your own damn rules and let them defend themselves before stopping it.

And that isn't even touching on the corruption angle, which is that often when someone is a marketing favorite in a title fight their threshold for getting a stoppage victory is much lower than their opponent.

He did not know there was a splinter.

Doumbe signaled a problem poiting at his foot, he didn't know the word to use for splinter, so he said he "had something in his foot".

Goddard told him he could not stop, ordered him to fight.
Doumbe went back in fighting stance, and for a few seconds both fighters were just facing each others not throwing anything.
They exchanged a few words, then Baki stopped and turned to the ref (so Doumbe could remove it).
At this time Doumbe pointed at his foot again and Goddard stopped the fight immediately.
Yeesh lol. Well hopefully he can appeal that, assuming there is a rule permitting the fight to be paused. Imo there should be.

I do agree he shouldn't have stopped the fight immediately. Couldn't he mention something to a nearby official so they could determine what to do? Stopping the fight immediately is savage.

Yeesh lol. Well hopefully he can appeal that, assuming there is a rule permitting the fight to be paused. Imo there should be.

I do agree he shouldn't have stopped the fight immediately. Couldn't he mention something to a nearby official so they could determine what to do? Stopping the fight immediately is savage.
What is especially weird is that he stopped it and ruled Doumbe out after Baki's interruption. Doumbe did not protest when Goddard refused to pause the fight and he followed his instructions at all times.

It seemed a little personnal.
In round 2, Doumbe did a pretty naughty fence grab, and Goddard saw it but did not act on it. Maybe he was trying to make it even.

Some amount of rubbish being talker here, referees have a job to do and rules to follow. They cant pick an choose which ones to implement and what to ignore. Anyone who says fights should be stopped later than early has obviously never had a real fight. Safety is the priority firstly , entertainment of couch fans who talk a big game but afraid to step into a cage comes after that.

Oh, fuck, I forgot about this. Love how she leans back. Just creeped out by this weirdo.

Was this after the Lemos fight too? If it was then he stopped that way too early. She got dropped but wasn't rocked at all. She even got up before Lemos did haha.
She looks creepy as well and not in his league.

Tognoni is the weirdest ref.

He does heaps of WMMA and he just coddles and babys the girls. It's weird as fuck. Dude is ready to stop the girl fights as soon as someone gets punched as well.

But then when he's doing the men he's happy to let them go to the death lol.

And there was that weird as fuck thing where he went up to Schnell the other week after Erceg just KOd him. He's smiling and he's like "Your head bounced off the canvas. Did you hear it? Did you hear it?" and all with this creepy smile on his face, like he thought Schnell and his cornerman were going to smile along with him.
That schnell thing should be enough to not let him ref again. He's not all there

Exact same thought I had. Burns was clearly wobbled and then JDM just keeps on beating down on him with Miragliotta hovering and hesitating as if he couldn't tell what was clearly happening.

Miragliotta sucks. He seems to have some kind of funny thought in his head all of the time instead of being attuned to the fighters and being focused and professional.

It's like he's thinking about what he's gonna eat later or where he is takin the wife instead of focusing on the fight

Mike Beltran put on an absolute masterpiece of incompetence last night , seen the tap , physically touched the fighters and yelled stop and then after the submission was released let the fight continue

Wut??

Back