Many Sears closing, Is BestBuy next?

Because Amazon kills them on prices for basically everything but TVs and Computers.

Other online stores beat or are competitive with bestbuy for computer prices or building custom computers.

The only edge they really have is TVs, and they have competition online as well but I still think they have the edge as of now. Costco also sells cheap 4k TVs from Visio and Haier which alot of people are starting to buy.

It wont be long until theres no reason to go there anymore

Dude i used to order ecerything thru amazon, but stupid california demand that amazon start taxing us. I would get laptops for discount with free shipping no tax thru amazon, i miss those days.

Hard to believe BestBuy hasn't gone under already.

They rebounded quite well over the past few years. Finally price matching Amazon was likely what helped save them.

My state finally started charging tax for Amazon as well so there's even more incentive for me to get what I want, at Amazon pricing, as soon as I want it at Best Buy.

I doubt they'll be going anywhere, anytime soon.

If you are a gamer, Best Buy usually has good deals with trade-ins.
I know with madden you can get it about $25 cheaper just for trading in the previous year's game.

I find it ironic that the company that became huge by selling by catalog through the mail has been devastated by companies doing the modern day equivalent.

I haven't been in a Sears store for 3 years and it was probably 10 years before that time. I haven't bought anything from Sears in 15 years because they never have anything I want. The last purchase I made was ordered online.
Same with J.C Penney.

As for the OP, poor management has caught up to a lot of retailers: massive debt financing, over expansion, over saturation - too many locations (also ties into the debt financing problem), lagging behind in technology, not able or unwilling to adjust to changes in customers' wants & shopping habits.

Ecommerce only accounted for 11.7% of US retail sales yet big department stores are shutting down and/or going out of business as if that number is 3 or 4 times higher.

Look at Macy's - Has 11 locations in San Diego County (1 is shutting down this year). Do they really need 10 locations in this county? The one location shutting down, Mission Valley, is only 2 miles away from another location at the Fashion Valley mall.
Attempting to be an anchor store in every other mall is killing the big department stores, and when the anchors go, the smaller shops usually follow.

Recently I purchased a Sony TV & a laptop for my parents at a Best Buy, price on both was same or better than what I found online - so, price wise they can compete but that doesn't mean the revenue they generate is going to keep them open.

Haven't bought anything from either store in a very long time. Don't really see the need either.

the sears at the mall by my house was closed for a week last winter due to flooding and no one noticed. Thankfully no one was hurt either because they get no customers.

The only time you'll see people in sears is when they cut through to get to the mall.

Some technology it's better to buy at a store, sometimes you're not sure of exactly what you need and need to go to the store and see what's offere and see which item fits what you need the most.

The problem is that usually none of the minimum wage employees at the stores know anything about the technology. There is often much more information available online from people who own the product.

People need to remember that Best Buy owned Futureshop. The fact that they found themselves in a position that they had to close them all should stand as affirmation that yes, Best Buy (at least in Canada) could eventually close down. I could see it happening within 10 years.

I find it ironic that the company that became huge by selling by catalog through the mail has been devastated by companies doing the modern day equivalent.

I haven't been in a Sears store for 3 years and it was probably 10 years before that time. I haven't bought anything from Sears in 15 years because they never have anything I want. The last purchase I made was ordered online.

I think cologne is about the main thing I'd buy. They also have a big appliance section, but like you, I haven't bought anything there for ages and would guess they're not competitive.

most department stores will be obsolete. the only stores i can think of that will last longer, are stores where you practically have to physically try the product, in order to purchase it. i'm thinking shoe stores, hat stores, etc. and even with those, if you know your brand, you can more than likely feel confident in buying those online at some point as well.

Slim fit isnt skin tight. Slim fit is where its at. Skinny jeans = skin tight.

Good luck getting hot girls with that setup.

My boss wears what youre talking about and hes flamboyantly gay.

Good luck getting hot girls with that setup.

My boss wears what youre talking about and hes flamboyantly gay.

Slim fit clothing? Unless you have no idea how to dress you should already own slim fit clothing.

Skinny jeans are too tight though. Not a fan.

03261409_zi_rigid_dragon

Those are slim fit. Not tight but not baggy. Just right.

Or you can look like a guy with no fashion sense and wear regular fit.

a0f4bdde-aead-484e-9228-69313b489ce8_1.88efa6d9a5b422e0826d30aceee0a8fd.jpeg

If you prefer the 2nd one you are out of touch and dont know what looks good. Sounds like your boss knows whats up, which is probably why hes the boss and youre the baggy underling. :p

Last edited:
I believe Best Buy has been in trouble for some time now. Not to the extent Sears is but still...

Also, I have no clue how Sears has hung on as long as they have. If they weren't so iconic and had fingers into all of the small communities.

Also, I have no clue how Sears has hung on as long as they have. If they weren't so iconic and had fingers into all of the small communities.

Well they had their tool line - which they sold (but supposedly still make a little bit from), and they were more of an all-in-one store. Electronics, clothes, home improvement all in one...PLUS they own KMart, which caters more to the lower income bracket. But Target and Walmart have eaten that shit up.

What I really don't understand is how places like HH Gregg are still around, or why at least around here, they tend to open right next to BB stores.

Now if there were more Fry's, BB would be done for. Fry's is Best Buy on crack.

People buy online. Malls are closing all over as well. Things change. Blockbusters, photo mats, record stores, and now big retail stores.

I still buy most of my goods locally. I actually enjoy the act of going out to the stores and browsing around and being able to actually get what I'm looking for the same day.

I despise shopping - the only store I go to is the grocery store, and thats only because there isn't online grocers that deliver where I live. I buy everything else online- PayPal bless

Back