Many Sears closing, Is BestBuy next?

They just seemed like a more expensive walmart to me. I didnt see the point.
Yeah It was pretty fucked up. They spent so much money converting old K-marts and what-not into Targets. When I finally went and checked the place out, It was a fucking ghost town, like 10 customers in the whole giant store.

Target tried expanding to Canada a few years ago. They opened 122 stores across Canada and It was a catastrophic fail. They pulled out of Canada after only 2 years.
Ahhh ok its very popular in the U.S for the uppity types.

Sears stock just went up big after announcing they're gonna start selling appliances through amazon.
So it's worth 15 cents instead of 2 cents.
The only thing keeping them alive is kenmore.

I don't think Best Buy is going under for the foreseeable future.

It's always poppin whenever I drive by any of them around here. I know a lot of times people use it as an Amazon showroom, but they are still buying something from there when it's all said and done.

Ahhh ok its very popular in the U.S for the uppity types.
Target is a great store. I usually try and head to Target before even thinking about Walmart. With the Cartwheel app, you can find quite a few good deals.

I dont see BB closing soon but never know. Curcuit City went under in what seemed like over night.

Probably, they built too many retail outlets and don't provide a product that really requires immediate delivery. There's going to always be some clothing stores around, because people need to try stuff on, and grocery stores because people need to eat at any given moment. Anybody selling appliances is screwed, the showroom doesn't add much and half the time you're waiting a couple days to have it delivered anyway.

I don't think Best Buy is going under for the foreseeable future.

It's always poppin whenever I drive by any of them around here. I know a lot of times people use it as an Amazon showroom, but they are still buying something from there when it's all said and done.
I used to work at Future Shop before it went under. I think even though more big ticket items have begun to be sold online, people will still need a place to rush out and buy some little dongles or print cartridges or what have you without waiting for it to be shipped. Lucky for Best Buy, that stuff is the most profitable stuff they sell.

I think if you're going to have a retail location you have to go big and cheap (Walmart) or small and boutique-y. Sears is in that no-mans land which leads to certain death.

Best buy was on the up when I worked for them a year and a half ago. They match their online competitor's prices and that's a big part of what's saving them. Being able to get online prices the same day you get the item in person and not have to pay shipping. Don't work at best buy, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sears is a ripoff most of the time with absolutely horrendous customer service. They've been a disaster for years and good riddance.

HH Greg probably wont be around for much longer
Never even knew wtf these stores were. The two that were in our area closed within the last 3 months.

Looks like the already filed for Bankruptcy lol.

Defunct May 25, 2017; 60 days ago

Why would Best Buy go belly up?

Sears has been in trouble for decades.

I find it ironic that the company that became huge by selling by catalog through the mail has been devastated by companies doing the modern day equivalent.

I haven't been in a Sears store for 3 years and it was probably 10 years before that time. I haven't bought anything from Sears in 15 years because they never have anything I want. The last purchase I made was ordered online.

Best Buy is still pretty bumpin around here. One of the few stores I enjoy aimlessly wandering around in.

I remember when it used to be wall to wall people in Best Buy. The last time I was there was after my laptops were stolen 2 years ago. I went there at 10AM Christmas Eve and there was hardly anyone there. Stores are finding out that people come in to look at items then go home and order online. Why pay $20 more and drag it home yourself when Amazon delivers.

I don't think it's their time yet, but it may be inevitable. On the other hand many things that best buy sell are often items that consumers prefer to look at in person and often have a lot of questions regarding their potential purchase. They also do price matching as well and often have good deals too.

Best buy was on the up when I worked for them a year and a half ago. They match their online competitor's prices and that's a big part of what's saving them. Being able to get online prices the same day you get the item in person and not have to pay shipping. Don't work at best buy, btw.

Who pays shipping? For me, buying anything at Best Buy is probably an hour and a half. The store is 20 minutes away, then finding what I want, finding someone who knows anything about it, then paying for it. Online there are good descriptions, questions and answers, customer ratings and comments. Two years ago, Best Buy didn't have any laptops with Windows 7 in the store, but they can still be purchased online today.

Some technology it's better to buy at a store, sometimes you're not sure of exactly what you need and need to go to the store and see what's offere and see which item fits what you need the most.

Who pays shipping? For me, buying anything at Best Buy is probably an hour and a half. The store is 20 minutes away, then finding what I want, finding someone who knows anything about it, then paying for it. Online there are good descriptions, questions and answers, customer ratings and comments. Two years ago, Best Buy didn't have any laptops with Windows 7 in the store, but they can still be purchased online today.
So... you don't like best buy? That doesn't mean they are struggling. They're convenient for people who aren't you I guess. Mr. big baller and his free shipping.

Why am I standing up for best buy?

Back