Manny Pacquiao thread of doom (DON'T POST BELOW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's a pic of the two of them that's been making the rounds for a while.

overeem_pacman.jpg
bitchen' indoor scarf!!!!!!!!!

But that's only the surface bud... There is more money to be had if a) Ortiz wins or b) Ortiz puts on a good performance.. he will adopt some of Pacs drawing power in either case. Accepting the 1st fight is merely an investment in a brighter future for Ortiz... now thats only if they believe in him enough to invest in his future.

This has worked for a lot of fighters. Mayweather for example, took a shit deal vs. DLH.. but look at him now.

I'm not saying that Golden Boy wouldn't put any of their guys in front of Pacquiao. How is a bright future for Ortiz at the expense of Pacquiao a good deal for Arum and Top Rank?

Like I said, their upside for being the sole promoter for a Pacquiao fight is much more than what they would get if they had to co-promote, which is why they've gone that route since the Hatton fight. And if Pacquiao does lose, better it's against a star they promote and can build themselves (which was their thinking in putting him against Cotto).

The only way Top Rank does business with Golden Boy (or anyone) in a Pacquiao fight is if the fight is big enough that they'll be able to make more money co-promoting than putting him against any of their fighters. And even then, they'll explore every opportunity they can to try and do the fight themselves.

This is namely the Mayweather fight. Judging from the way Arum has been pushing for Don King to get involved with the promotion, I feel like they have some sort of agreement where Top Rank gets the lion's share of the purse for the promoter, whereas Golden Boy is asking for an even split.

Last edited:
The benefit for Top Rank is that they are going to make at least 75% of the money.
Promoting is not unlike betting... you pick your horse and take risks to make gains. Golden Boy picked Ortiz. They have to take short money up front and gamble on him succeeding and moving on to the big money later as a result of the opportunity provided. Top rank takes big money now.. and gambles that pac will win and maintain his ability to demand the lions share in the future.

I agree that top rank has the most to lose in the deal... but depending on the drawing power of the fight and compared against the relatively small risk(Ortiz is no Cotto afterall), the fight would be worth doing imo.

I've actually stopped caring about this fight.

A little bit of egg on my face in that I thought all that drug testing malarkey was just a ploy and this fight was going to happen. But to me, every day that passes this fight loses legitimacy to me. Just time passing for each of them to go further on the downside of their career.

I really don't even think about this fight except when I hear other talking about it, but it's really just pathetic.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse now but do you guys of Sherdog suspect Manny of using PEDs?

After the failed Floyd-Pac negotiations I sure as hell do, it doesn't make sense to me that Pacman would'nt fight his most lucrative fight just because of Olympic style drug testing, unless he is on PEDs. The conclusion I made was that he probably is on steroids. The fact that he had millions of, lets be honest, shitty lies (supersticious, afraid of needles etc) as resons for denying the olympic style drug test is only further evidence that he is on something as he did not have a valid argument.

Heres a link to a video I found had a lot of good facts regarding the subject: YouTube - Manny Pacquiao on steroids?? The question must be asked and answered!

I'm not a Floyd nuthugger or anything just a fan of boxing, I quite liked Pacman before he denied the superfight.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just a random Pacquiao related question. Watching the old HBO 24/7 for Pacquiao vs Hatton, Michael Moorer is there with Freddy Roach at the Wild Card gym, kind of in a trainer in training role. Does anyone know if he is still there? I don't remember seeing him when they have gone back for later events.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse now but do you guys of Sherdog suspect Manny of using PEDs?

After the failed Floyd-Pac negotiations I sure as hell do, it doesn't make sense to me that Pacman would'nt fight his most lucrative fight just because of Olympic style drug testing, unless he is on PEDs. The conclusion I made was that he probably is on steroids. The fact that he had millions of, lets be honest, shitty lies (supersticious, afraid of needles etc) as resons for denying the olympic style drug test is only further evidence that he is on something as he did not have a valid argument.

Heres a link to a video I found had a lot of good facts regarding the subject: YouTube - Manny Pacquiao on steroids?? The question must be asked and answered!

I'm not a Floyd nuthugger or anything just a fan of boxing, I quite liked Pacman before he denied the superfight.

Yeah.. it doesn't make sense that a busy man that can't even get to training on time wouldn't want to schedule his whereabouts with a company that gains recognition with positives and has nothing to gain from negatives.. for every hour on the hour one month out from fight night.. That doesn't make sense at all..

also.. this video.. which was taken before Manny vs. Mayweather was anything more than a bad joke of a possibility... doesn't explain anything at all..

I'm piling on the sarcasm here.. but for a good reason.. the easy thing to do is to accept an accusation as fact.. that doesn't require any research.. any homework.. it just requires a gullible and lazy person.

Hey guys, just a random Pacquiao related question. Watching the old HBO 24/7 for Pacquiao vs Hatton, Michael Moorer is there with Freddy Roach at the Wild Card gym, kind of in a trainer in training role. Does anyone know if he is still there? I don't remember seeing him when they have gone back for later events.

I think Roach asked Moorer to leave because he felt Moorer wasn't a very good people person. Didn't know how to treat people and cussed out some important guests.

how u see this 1 going down, is it worth paying for or will Manny just walk through him.

Last edited:
The website I write for has 4 writers, only 1 has given Shane a real chance and that was based on this:

"Kevin: I've a feeling the recent upsets continue. I'm not sure why I think they'll continue so we'll put it down to a gut feeling that Mosley manages to pull this one out and prove he's not done yet. The odds have been proven wrong so many times recently that this seems the ideal time to go against the grain."

So basically...Shane's only chance is that the odds keep getting things wrongs...

Manny will win but I think it will go 2 a decision!!! I'mma bigger fan of Mosley but both r great...

I hope Mosley makes it a fight.

but Manny is going to likely work him to death.

In the 24/7 for the Pac/Cotto fight, he said that they got rid of Moorer because his personality didn't go well with Pacs and Amir Khans, and you can tell from that Hatton camp. I remember he charged people a dollar for leaning on a counter at the gym.

Top Rank offers Juan Manuel Marquez fall fight against Manny Pacquiao - ESPN

Juan Manuel Marquez offered fall bout

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao will defend his welterweight title against former champ Shane Mosley next month, but promoter Top Rank is already making plans for him to fight rival Juan Manuel Marquez in the fall.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said Monday that Top Rank has made a formal, written offer for Marquez, the lightweight champ, to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight title on a date to be determined in October if he defeats Mosley.

Schaefer said the offer was sent to Golden Boy's attorney by Top Rank's attorney.

Marquez's contract with Golden Boy expired at the end of February. Although Golden Boy has offered him fights and discussed a new deal with him, he has not accepted while holding out hope for a third fight with Pacquiao.

But even though Marquez's promotional deal with Golden Boy expired, the company still has the right to match any offer from another company until February 2012, Schaefer said. He said Top Rank is aware of the matching rights, which is why its attorney sent Golden Boy the offer.

"Last Friday, April 22, Top Rank made a firm offer to Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Manny Pacquiao in October for his WBO 147-pound belt," Schaefer said. "Part of the deal includes a rematch provision in case Marquez would win. So Pacquiao could potentially be tied up for quite awhile."

Schaefer said the written offer to Marquez also contained financial terms, such as the guaranteed purse and the specifics of his share of the pay-per-view profits. Schaefer would not disclose those terms.

Top Rank declined to discuss the offer.

"I have no comment on anything regarding Marquez," Top Rank president Todd duBoef said. "We have said that Marquez would be one of the possible opponents for Pacquiao after the fight with Mosley if he is successful against Mosley on May 7. But I have no comment. I am concentrating on promoting a fight on May 7."

By offering a fight against Pacquiao to Marquez, Top Rank is signaling that Pacquiao will not be facing Floyd Mayweather Jr., this year. Two rounds of negotiations have already failed to produce a deal for that fight, likely the biggest revenue generator in boxing history.

"Based on this offer, it seems like Pacquiao and Top Rank have no interest in fighting Mayweather, at least this year," Schaefer said. "If they did, I am sure Top Rank would have had language in the offer saying this was the deal unless a Mayweather fight could be secured, but it doesn't say that."

Pacquiao, a significant favorite against the 39-year-old Mosley, has already fought two classics against Marquez: a controversial draw in their 2004 featherweight championship fight and a similarly controversial split decision win in their 2008 junior lightweight title fight.

Marquez has been angling for a third fight since, but was passed over in favor of Mosley for the May fight.

The key reason Marquez did not get the fight in May was because when Top Rank was putting together Pacquiao's fight, Marquez was under contract to Golden Boy. Top Rank refuses to do business with Golden Boy and the companies have been embroiled in numerous lawsuits in recent years, including one over Pacquiao's promotional rights, which Top Rank won.

Mosley had long been with Golden Boy, but cut ties with the company -- including an ownership stake -- in order to get the fight with Pacquiao.

"Obviously, Top Rank will have to live by these deal points they offered Marquez, so if any of these things would change -- the date, the guaranteed money, the [pay-per-view] upside -- they would have to come back to us, because Golden Boy continues to hold the right of last refusal for Marquez's next fight until the end of February 2012," Schaefer said.

"I think [Top Rank] sent us the offer because they know that we have these rights, these last negotiation rights. So they informed us that they had submitted that offer to Marquez. It's the right thing to do. I don't have a beef here with Top Rank whatsoever. "

While Schaefer says he has no issues with Top Rank, he is puzzled by the timing.

"I am a firm believer that when a fighter becomes a free agent and has certain rights or options that they explore those options. Top Rank did the right thing here. Assuming Top Rank lives by those deal points, so be it. But I don't really understand it as it relates to the timing," he said.

"What's the urgency of locking in Pacquiao's October fight before he has fought Mosley? I just find the timing strange that you would do that before a big promotion. Maybe Top Rank discounts Shane's chances. Maybe they just feel it's important to have that opponent lined up for Manny now."

Schaefer said Marquez's team had not informed him of the offer, however.

"Top Rank gave us their offer, but we have not heard from Marquez," Schaefer said.

Schaefer said he met with Marquez in Mexico City about three weeks ago and presented him with a new promotional offer. Had he accepted, Marquez's first bout of the deal could have been a July 30 pay-per-view headliner against junior welterweight titlist Zab Judah. Schaefer has been talking to Judah promoter Main Events about the fight, which Judah wants.

The fight would have given Marquez the opportunity that he has wanted -- a chance, with a win, to become the first Mexican to claim a world title in four divisions.

"Maybe that was why [Top Rank] made the offer -- because they knew we were trying to make a deal with Marquez and they wanted to make sure they have an opponent for Pacquiao in October," Schaefer said.

Its going to be nasty.
Did you guys not watch the Cotto and Marg fights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back