Manny Pacquiao thread of doom (DON'T POST BELOW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know that Margarito knocked Martinez out right? I mean.. I agree that Martinez is currently better than Marg... but I think knowing this fact, you would probably agree that Martinez "felt the punches of Margarito" as well...

you also do know that it happened when sergio was not peaking, and styles makes fights, right? If fighter A beats fighter B, and fighter B beats fighter C, it doesn't necessarily mean fighter A will coast through a win against C, right?

If it happens, fans will be the winner, and a big payday for SM

boxing can't out grow the Rocky theme, no?

They should just hire Gorilla productions for real already

Also.. after his war with Berto.. Ortiz will start to draw.... guaranteed.. I would not be surprised to see Ortiz vs. Pac in the near future...though.. .. it would be a bit of a mismatch...

I would be shocked to see Pacquiao vs. Ortiz anytime soon. Look at who would need to team up to make that fight happen.

you also do know that it happened when sergio was not peaking, and styles makes fights, right? If fighter A beats fighter B, and fighter B beats fighter C, it doesn't necessarily mean fighter A will coast through a win against C, right?

If it happens, fans will be the winner, and a big payday for SM

What are you getting at? I did say Sergio is better than Marg... So why are you arguing as if I said he wasn't?..lol

I was simply pointing out that marg hits really fucking hard.. and your theory that if Pac "felt Margs punches" he would be in trouble vs. Martinez doesn't really hold water because Martinez also felt margs punches..

I would be shocked to see Pacquiao vs. Ortiz anytime soon. Look at who would need to team up to make that fight happen.

Golden Boy and arum have negotiated before.. they will again.. and if either is unwilling(in this case it would be Golden Boys responsibility since they are the ones building a fighter and hoping to do so vs. Pac) then that promotional company will suffer for their stubbornness in the long run...

If these companies don't do business together then nobody makes money.. it's in everyones best interest to work together.

That said.. in this case, I think Ortiz isn't even close to bein ready for Pac.... I hope it doesn't happen.. but I wouldnt be surprised if it does.

Golden Boy and arum have negotiated before.. they will again.. and if either is unwilling(in this case it would be Golden Boys responsibility since they are the ones building a fighter and hoping to do so vs. Pac) then that promotional company will suffer for their stubbornness in the long run...

If these companies don't do business together then nobody makes money.. it's in everyones best interest to work together.

That said.. in this case, I think Ortiz isn't even close to bein ready for Pac.... I hope it doesn't happen.. but I wouldnt be surprised if it does.

I would rather see Zab Judah's speed test Pac's, than Ortiz...

If not floyd or serg, then the only person im interested in seeing fighting Pac is the winner of Amir/Bradley.

Amir is a sparring partner, so they basically knows each other's weaknesses. Bradley would be a good fight IMO...

They've never negotiated while a lawsuit was in place between the two companies. It doesn't look like the Pacquiao lawsuit over the whole steroid accusations is going away anytime soon, Arum is also contesting GBP's rights to Pacquiao, not to mention the whole Nonito Donaire mess.

It's going to be awhile before they work together again.

Good points... but you could get a sooner fan to negotiate with a longhorn if there was a profit to be had...
I think GB will fold if they see that they are about to miss a monster payday from one of only 2 fighters that can currently generate that kind of money.. while he is in the last 2-3 fights of his career.. and prior to another building phase which could take 4-5 years before we have anybody drawing comparable to May or Pac...

There is far more money to be made through co promotion than lost through litigation. Especially if a gb fighter beats pac and takes a portion of his drawing power with them.

Mosley is dead.
Pacquiao_Wildcard_media_day110420_004a.jpg

Good points... but you could get a sooner fan to negotiate with a longhorn if there was a profit to be had...
I think GB will fold if they see that they are about to miss a monster payday from one of only 2 fighters that can currently generate that kind of money.. while he is in the last 2-3 fights of his career.. and prior to another building phase which could take 4-5 years before we have anybody drawing comparable to May or Pac...

There is far more money to be made through co promotion than lost through litigation. Especially if a gb fighter beats pac and takes a portion of his drawing power with them.

Not necessarily. I could see why Golden Boy would want to make a Pacquiao-Ortiz fight, but why would Arum?

Let's say Pacquiao-Ortiz draws a total of $65 million and that $10 million goes to HBO/Showtime for putting on the fight and $5 million goes to the MGM Grand for hosting. Split 50/50, that's $25 million to each promotional company. Pacquiao would get his share of around $20+ million, meaning Top Rank as a company only makes around $5 million.

Now let's say Top Rank signs Tim Bradley as a free agent and they do the same amount of money, and HBO/Showtime/MGM Grand gets their $15 million cut. That's $50 million that goes directly to Top Rank. Pacquiao gets his $20+ million and Top Rank makes around $30 million.

Just for argument's sake, let's say a 80/20 promotional split for a Pacquiao/Ortiz fight (the lowest GBP could go if they want to make any money off the fight), Top Rank still only comes away with $20 million. $10 million less if they just went with another option that could bring as much money.

There's a reason why Arum only puts Pacquiao against Top Rank fighters or free agents that aren't tied to a promotional company. They have the golden goose and it would have to be a special fight (namely, Mayweather) for them to share him with anyone.

In addition because of the nature of the mediation agreement between Top Rank and Golden Boy over Manny, Golden Boy get a bigger split of the pot then they would otherwise.

There's basically no incentive for Arum to negotiate with Golden Boy until Manny either loses or retires... and he's probably only got what, 3/4 fights left now? Off the top of my head he can take on Bradley (assuming he beats Khan), tempt JMM away from Golden Boy, could have a swan song at 154lbs against Martinez... and that's without mention of Mayweather (which is the only fight I can see the two sides working together on) or if say Berto were to win a rematch with Ortiz and beat another 2 decent opponents.

Right now Top Rank hold basically all the cards. The lure of Pac was enough to get one of the original founding partners of Golden Boy to leave and that lure remains for all 140-154lbs boxers who only really stand to make huge money against one of two guys... and Mayweather's basically a once every 2 years fighter at this stage.

Once Manny retires and/or loses I think we'll see another detente form... but until then I don't think we'll see the two work together (outside of a possible Mayweather bout).

Not necessarily. I could see why Golden Boy would want to make a Pacquiao-Ortiz fight, but why would Arum?

Let's say Pacquiao-Ortiz draws a total of $65 million and that $10 million goes to HBO/Showtime for putting on the fight and $5 million goes to the MGM Grand for hosting. Split 50/50, that's $25 million to each promotional company. Pacquiao would get his share of around $20+ million, meaning Top Rank as a company only makes around $5 million.

Now let's say Top Rank signs Tim Bradley as a free agent and they do the same amount of money, and HBO/Showtime/MGM Grand gets their $15 million cut. That's $50 million that goes directly to Top Rank. Pacquiao gets his $20+ million and Top Rank makes around $30 million.

Just for argument's sake, let's say a 80/20 promotional split for a Pacquiao/Ortiz fight (the lowest GBP could go if they want to make any money off the fight), Top Rank still only comes away with $20 million. $10 million less if they just went with another option that could bring as much money.

There's a reason why Arum only puts Pacquiao against Top Rank fighters or free agents that aren't tied to a promotional company. They have the golden goose and it would have to be a special fight (namely, Mayweather) for them to share him with anyone.

But that's only the surface bud... There is more money to be had if a) Ortiz wins or b) Ortiz puts on a good performance.. he will adopt some of Pacs drawing power in either case. Accepting the 1st fight is merely an investment in a brighter future for Ortiz... now thats only if they believe in him enough to invest in his future.

This has worked for a lot of fighters. Mayweather for example, took a shit deal vs. DLH.. but look at him now.

But that's only the surface bud... There is more money to be had if a) Ortiz wins or b) Ortiz puts on a good performance.. he will adopt some of Pacs drawing power in either case. Accepting the 1st fight is merely an investment in a brighter future for Ortiz... now thats only if they believe in him enough to invest in his future.

That's all good for Golden Boy (I don't think anyone is saying that Golden Boy wouldn't want the fight). It leaves the question though... what's in it for Arum

This has worked for a lot of fighters. Mayweather for example, took a shit deal vs. DLH.. but look at him now.

PBF was guarenteed at least $10,000,000 and actually took home somewhere between $20-25 million for facing Oscar... even by his own inflated standards that is not a "shit deal".

The closest you'd get is Manny apparently getting $6 million guaranteed to face Oscar... but again, that's certainly not a shit deal for a guy who was only a moderate draw at that time.

If memory serves, PBF actually had a similar deal on the table and chose to retire because he felt insulted by the split... and then he came around later.

I know he made a lot... but his cut of all the money generated was significantly less than DLH's and that is what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back