• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Making racial slurs is illegal in Australia

That calling Colby racist makes about as much sense as calling Brazilian mma fans respectful? Yeah.

Well I wasn't talking about him being racist, right? I was saying the court won't give a shit about he distinction between race and nationality in a hate speech trial. Only SD anti-sjw's waste time on those details.

In a hate speech trial, nobody gives a shit if your racist or not. It's if they feel you committed a hate speech crime (which I get is kind of bs, but that's the law - a LOT of it is bs)

And that distinction doesn't hold any weight in a court of law but it holds MAJOR weight on SD.

Colby pressing charges haha. It's like the criminal who breaks into a house through the window but gets caught, then he tries to sue the homeowners for their window cutting him.
It has happened and criminals have won. That's how the U.S justice system works sometimes.

They dont have free speech in Australia?! Holy shit!

This should be a bigger story than the boomerang incident.

We do have free speech in Australia. Its just not explicit in our constitution like in the US.

The right to Freedom of speech was challenged in our high court where the high court determined that freedom of speech was implied in our constitution and without it our government and representative system of politics does not work.

Its not the same as you Freedom of speech in the US as there are more restrictions to it such as the discrimination act which sensors racial speech designed to intimidate humiliate and harass a person based on ethnicity and colour.

Watch it. Around here, apparently, badmouthing Australia means you're racist.
You can bad mouth us as much as you want they are just words it's not like I'm gonna throw a boomerang at you unlike salty Brazilian bitches

this whole thing is a fiasco. Australia is not like the USA. if somehow this ended up going to a court (either / both parties press charges of some description) the court officer (magistrate, arbitrator, judge or whatever) is going to look at the specifics and throw it out of court and potentially lambaste both parties and their employer for wasting everyone's time. Colby instigated the scenario via hate speech, Werdum overshot the mark when he hit Colby, so call it even. The fact they are both professional fighters is relevant, however their arbitrary weight class is not. The judge isn't going to review their weight classes to decide if the weight means it was a mismatch, lol.

It is a sensible outcome and it won't go any other way. Australians aren't fucking idiots like Americans (no offence). I think worst case the court might try to order Werdum to publicly apologize as he is a relatively public figure and this could do some good for the wider community.
If actual damage was done to Colby's face from the boomerang, there might be some reparation in order to cover costs and hardship. Remembering the Australian health care system will cover all of Colby's costs for a hospital visit whilst he is here. I also understand no damage was done.

Haha yea.... Calls him a :eek::eek::eek: and runs off, I heard he called 911 like 13 times before someone told him it's 000.
911 works on most phones over here. as does 112, the international emergency number. maybe he is on a weird carrier though :/

Well I wasn't talking about him being racist, right? I was saying the court won't give a shit about he distinction between race and nationality in a hate speech trial. Only SD anti-sjw's waste time on those details.

In a hate speech trial, nobody gives a shit if your racist or not. It's if they feel you committed a hate speech crime (which I get is kind of bs, but that's the law - a LOT of it is bs)

And that distinction doesn't hold any weight in a court of law but it holds MAJOR weight on SD.
'Some jurisdictions give redress when a person is victimised on account of colour, ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender identity, HIV/AIDS status or sexual orientation.'

Nowhere does it mention national identity. Sorry mate

this whole thing is a fiasco. Australia is not like the USA. if somehow this ended up going to a court (either / both parties press charges of some description) the court officer (magistrate, arbitrator, judge or whatever) is going to look at the specifics and throw it out of court and potentially lambaste both parties and their employer for wasting everyone's time. Colby instigated the scenario via hate speech, Werdum overshot the mark when he hit Colby, so call it even. The fact they are both professional fighters is relevant, however their arbitrary weight class is not. The judge isn't going to review their weight classes to decide if the weight means it was a mismatch, lol.

It is a sensible outcome and it won't go any other way. Australians aren't fucking idiots like Americans (no offence). I think worst case the court might try to order Werdum to publicly apologize as he is a relatively public figure and this could do some good for the wider community.
If actual damage was done to Colby's face from the boomerang, there might be some reparation in order to cover costs and hardship. Remembering the Australian health care system will cover all of Colby's costs for a hospital visit whilst he is here. I also understand no damage was done.
What you describe is mob justice, Colby didn't commit 'hate speech,' according to Australian law, Werdum did commit assault.

If you have it in your heart to call someone such a vicious word that represents centuries of oppression and violation, such as the F word, then you are very likely capable of heinous actions e.g. murder. Colby should go to Australian prison for a long, long time (YEARS). You must abide by the laws of the nation you are a guest in.

Holy fuck... please tell me that you are joking and don't actually believe that shit?

He literally ran away from Werdum while calling the police for what was a smack in the face.
Who the fuck calls the police because of that?
He embarassed himself.

Werdum is a big dude in person, way bigger than you'd think from watching fights on tv/computer. I'm not surprised he ran.

That is correct. Section 18C:

Section 18C was added to the Racial Discrimination Act just over 20 years ago, with the passage of the Racial Hatred Act. Under Section 18C:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

What you describe is mob justice, Colby didn't commit 'hate speech,' according to Australian law, Werdum did commit assault.
what i described is the likely outcome of any "charges getting pressed". this is not a major event compared to the shit that courts + police need to deal with on a daily basis, and it would get treated accordingly. I have been through this circus a couple times, I know.

If they're Americans who say this, they probably don't know that many Mexicans are white, because Mexico doesn't generally export its white people to the states; it exports Mestizos.

That used to be more true than it is today. But Colby, being an American, most likely operates from a standard American view of race, which is skin color.

So if Colby was being racist, how do we even know he had considered or not considered the fact that Brazilians include whites?

Which is precisely why i brought up the Mexican example. Mexico also has whites, but anti-Mexican racists/slurs do not make that distinction.

This is just an editorial opinion masquerading as fact. Racism is racism. It doesn't take many forms, except to people who (incorrectly) see it everywhere.

Define racism. Because people's definition of race differs. Some people see just white/black/yellow/brown. Others see Slavic, Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, Hispanic, Latin, Serbian, etc.

There are Serbian nationalists who hate on fellow Slavs such as Catholic Croats and Muslim Bosniaks, even though they're all East Slavic. They also claim that anyone who's Muslim is actually just a Turk or partial-Turk.

That is correct. Section 18C:

Section 18C was added to the Racial Discrimination Act just over 20 years ago, with the passage of the Racial Hatred Act. Under Section 18C:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.
Damn, I didn't know that. Given the amount of banter I've had with Australians in Australia over being British does that mean I could've had them charged the whole time? Crazy

Damn, I didn't know that. Given the amount of banter I've had with Australians in Australia over being British does that mean I could've had them charged the whole time? Crazy

Technically, Yes but cricket banter is different to say race a riot(in which we had one in 2005)

There's a lot of racist pricks in the country. Asians(East and South Asian i.e Indians and Chinese), Muslims, Aboriginals tend get the brunt of the abuse.

Back