Lyoto Machida: I know how to beat Chris Weidman

So you're suggesting banking on something that happened 1 times out of say 30+ times is a good bet...I suggest you go to vegas, bet your life savings and keep at it.
Conventional =/= usual. Your match up analysis is suspect, to say the least.

I think everyone is leaning too heavy on Machida's fancy KOs and ignoring his many recent uneventful wins/losses.

Mousasi/Machida was nothing to write home about, he had some good flurries, but nothing to be scared of. Machida couldn't get his striking going against Davis and lost. He had a split win against Hendo. He got tangled up and submitted by an elite wrestler in Jones.

Weidman has better wrestling than Davis (I'M NOT SAYING HE'S BETTER- but his wrestling is more on par with Jones). He has the length of a LHW. His submission game, including his standing guillotine, is very similar to Jones. Plus, he's very well coached and won't make dumb mistakes, which a lot of his opponents seem to make. Plus, he is no slouch in the striking department, using his distance and timing better than most.

I'm not writing Machida off, but people are forgetting Machida isn't invincible. He has been KOd, submitted, decisioned, out grappled and out wrestled- Weidman hasn't.

Machida was impressive v Mousasi. Super fast/athletic. Not his fault Mousasi has an iron chin

This is going to be one of those threads that people bump and/or go through and quote a bunch of people who made horrible predictions.

Machida is gon win me some money
The Dragoooooooon

Machida is superior in every aspect of mma. Machida via anything he wants.

Clearly! I mean, Weidman has been KO'd so many times so we know Machida has the better chin. Also, he's been submitted so many times as well we know Machida's BJJ is better! Go put down some $ and let us know how it turns out since it's a cake walk for Machida!

It's not conventional to ko a clowning opponent when he's clowning.

A: He wasn't clowning at the time, he was backing up, and stopped one short.

B: What the hell does convention have to do with controversy?

C: Silva fought his fight. Silva got KO'd.

I could understand why stylistically Machida would be an underdog but if he can keep the fight standing it will be an interesting fight. I think Wiedman's standup is good enough where he might be able to beat Machida standing or take it to the ground if he can't.

Gosh I really hate how people still downplay Weidman's wins over Anderson.

Yes he was clowning. Yes he got injured in the second fight. But holy fuck Weidman was the one that did that to him and he has fully demonstrated that he is simply the superior MMA fighter.

I think Weidman is much too skilled and tough to be kayoed by Machida.

But I also think Machida poses problems for Weidman that Anderson didn't and although I have a lot of faith in Weidman and I actually hope he wins, I'm picking Machida to win a decision and for Sherdog to cry many tears over it.

I don't see that at all. Anderson looked awfully good in the first fight that 2nd round and it looked like he was starting to turn it up and got caught in part due to his clowning. He just isn't as fast as he once was and Weidman is good. The 2nd fight was a fluke injury. I've watched probably 1000 fights and I've seen it happen twice, Anderson and Cory Hill. I'm not saying that Anderson would have won but Anderson still has one of the most amazing streaks ever in MMA and Anderson just stayed too long. He is the same age Ali was in his last fights and Ali was nowhere near the fighter he had been even 5 years earlier. I hope Anderson stays retired or cherry picks his fights if he recovers. He'll need some of those special supplements that all older fighters take (and almost all fighters, lets be honest about the degree of PED's in MMA) to make a run at 40 coming of an injury.

Anderson goaded Chris into striking with him and lost.

No fluke.

The man who does something 30+ times is good, the man who does something once is lucky, until he proves otherwise. Silva's hl reel is full of matrix like sht which makes what he does good not lucky.

It's about stats not individual outcomes.

I don't see that at all. Anderson looked awfully good in the first fight that 2nd round and it looked like he was starting to turn it up and got caught in part due to his clowning. He just isn't as fast as he once was and Weidman is good. The 2nd fight was a fluke injury. I've watched probably 1000 fights and I've seen it happen twice, Anderson and Cory Hill. I'm not saying that Anderson would have won but Anderson still has one of the most amazing streaks ever in MMA and Anderson just stayed too long. He is the same age Ali was in his last fights and Ali was nowhere near the fighter he had been even 5 years earlier. I hope Anderson stays retired or cherry picks his fights if he recovers. He'll need some of those special supplements that all older fighters take (and almost all fighters, lets be honest about the degree of PED's in MMA) to make a run at 40 coming of an injury.

A fluke would be if Anderson took a step and got injured. It was no fluke that Weidman decided to check the kick. Many other fighters in that position would have ate it and did you even watch the first round of Anderson getting rocked and then controlled on the ground for the round? It's not like Anderson put it on Chris then got injured he was losing that fight even before and never landed anything significant.

The man who does something 30+ times is good, the man who does something once is lucky, until he proves otherwise. Silva's hl reel is full of matrix like sht which makes what he does good not lucky.

It's about stats not individual outcomes.

Chris has 5 ko's in 11 fights. He's beaten every man he's fought, what else could you ask of him? No ones debating Silva has the resume, he's been fighting way longer. He was also finished by Weidman. Accept it. Life will still go on.

Weidman is Hendo Part Deux. A wrestler with one dangerous punch. Machida already beat the original and he should beat the clone.

Weidman is Hendo Part Deux. A wrestler with one dangerous punch. Machida already beat the original and he should beat the clone.

Hendo was finished by Silva, Weidman finished Silva. Being a wrestler with a power punch doesn't make you a clone.

Chris has 5 ko's in 11 fights. He's beaten every man he's fought, what else could you ask of him?

Its not about what could be asked of him, it's about what he's done. He has not beaten a wide varety of elite competition. And he beat the champ under what appeared to be very flukey circumstances. He is still untested, and he has not justified his hype. he still could but he has not yet proven his hype. The betting lines are based on his hype at the moment, and alot of money can be made from this.

Machida will KO him weidman won't be able to take him down even if he does he won't keep him down. people seem to forget after he took silva down in the second fight silva popped back up not to mention he couldn't finish silva on the ground after he was knocked out for a couple of seconds and if it stays standing weidman won't win there either he is nothing but the great white hope nothing more.

If you call running backwards the entire fight and landing 1 decent strike a round a "beating". I lost all respect for Machida after that fight. It was a No.1 contender fight too and he pulls that chickenshit stuff.

Look, if Weidman beat the p4p fighter to ever grace the octagon 2 times, why won't he beat the Dragon?

Huge Machida fan. Huge Weidman fan. I honestly don't know who to pick. Machida is a beast at MW (probably his more natural weight). I think he might be able to pull it out.

Its not about what could be asked of him, it's about what he's done. He has not beaten a wide varety of elite competition. And he beat the champ under what appeared to be very flukey circumstances. He is still untested, and he has not justified his hype. he still could but he has not yet proven his hype.

There's nothing flukish to me about Silva dropping his hands and goading his opponents. It's happened countless times. Chris came at him, and finished him. Silva stopped clowing and started backing up, but stopped short, and got KO'd. Why some fans can't accept that Silva was beaten by Weidman would be odd to me, if this wasn't Sherdog.

Fluke - an accident or chance happening.

There was nothing accidental about anything that happened.

Back