Lost a street fight 2 guys jumped on me I didn't throw even a punch,confidence is low...

So you're telling me you have no idea what the words assumption and fact mean.

Nevermind.

You don't get it, and that's fine.

There's no honor in putting your life in danger for ego reasons.

But hey, if you're confronted my multiple thugs...swing away.

Who cares if you lose a tooth...or break your hand on their cranium...or get a finger in the eye...or have to deal with weapons... O_O

"The street" isn't fair.

"The street" isn't prize fighting...

Nevermind.

You don't get it, and that's fine.

There's no honor in putting your life in danger for ego reasons.

But hey, if you're confronted my multiple thugs...swing away.

Who cares if you lose a tooth...or break your hand on their cranium...or get a finger in the eye...or have to deal with weapons... O_O

"The street" isn't fair.

"The street" isn't prize fighting...
Gotta love people like you, so eager to spread your "wisdom" that you don't even care if anyone is listening or if your point is even remotely related to what you're replying to. Yeah, aren't you mature and responsible and seen-it-been-it. We're all very impressed.

Too bad what you're saying has nothing to do with my posts.

Gotta love people like you, so eager to spread your "wisdom" that you don't even care if anyone is listening or if your point is even remotely related to what you're replying to. Yeah, aren't you mature and responsible and seen-it-been-it. We're all very impressed.

Too bad what you're saying has nothing to do with my posts.

Well, if you'd like to get the conversation back on track, go ahead and I'll be a cogent as possible.

On an unrelated note, the Diaz bros would be among the VERY BEST street fighters in the entirely of the UFC...heavyweights included.

TOUGHNESS + CARDIO + AN INSANE ABILITY TO TAKE A PUNCH + AN ELITE GROUND GAME

Anyway, I have errands to run.

Peace.

Running is a mistake unless you are pretty sure you are faster. They will get your back when they catch up and they will also have the element of surprise. I always tried to bull shit my way out of these kinds of situations but didn't always succeed. Getting a guy's back is a big big advantage. I was in a rough bar and a dude was stomping another guy and I was afraid he would kill him - I got him in a nelson from behind with no trouble even though he was bigger and stronger. He said "ok" and I let him go and the next thing I remember was the back of my head hitting the floor. We wound up becoming friends and joked about it. Never give up your back.

Running is a mistake unless you are pretty sure you are faster. They will get your back when they catch up and they will also have the element of surprise. I always tried to bull shit my way out of these kinds of situations but didn't always succeed. Getting a guy's back is a big big advantage. I was in a rough bar and a dude was stomping another guy and I was afraid he would kill him - I got him in a nelson from behind with no trouble even though he was bigger and stronger. He said "ok" and I let him go and the next thing I remember was the back of my head hitting the floor. We wound up becoming friends and joked about it. Never give up your back.

Short bursts of fighting (or pepper spray, etc) combined with running is the way to go imo

Well, if you'd like to get the conversation back on track, go ahead and I'll be a cogent as possible.

On an unrelated note, the Diaz bros would be among the VERY BEST street fighters in the entirely of the UFC...heavyweights included.

Peace.
The person I originally quoted said Floyd would run from thugs, even if he knew he could beat them. I asked him what he bases this assumption on. Because that's what it is, an assumption.

Whether you consider running smart or not, there are people out there who wouldn't run. Based on what I know about Floyd, I'd say he's counted among those people. Certainly when he was younger. But who knows? All I know is that it's ridiculous to CLAIM AS FACT that Floyd would run, just because you (and the poster I quoted) consider it the best thing to do. That's an opinion, and not shared by everyone.

It's pretty normal TS. Usually you react in 3 ways, you run, you freeze or you fight. Fighting is more natural when you are angry. When you are caught off guard, most people freeze up. It may sound stupid, but it's survival instinct. You percieve a danger and you are trying to prevent that from happening by playing dead, so to speak. It worked for our ancestors, don't take it personally.

Same thing happened to me when I was younger. The thing is, you can break that mindset if you want. It's all about your state of mind. If you are scared of getting hurt, or thinking too much about what COULD happen, then you wont react simple as that. You just have to embrace the fact that it's either you or them. You have to embrace the fact that you probably will get hurt. You have to be willing. That's the nature of real violence. It's not pretty like the movies. It's chaos really. The more you embrace that fact, the easier it is to act. Going to a gym can help in part. Getting some good, hard sparring too. But in the end it's all about the mindset.

The important thing is you came out of it with your health. Don't sweat it.
is this knowledge all personal experience,or have you been reading the same books as me ?:)

is this knowledge all personal experience,or have you been reading the same books as me ?:)
Personal experience. I haven't read any books on the topic, but this one that Hotora posted earlier looks interesting.

I trained Karate when I was a kid, I had these fantasies about what a fight was. I grew up in some pretty rough places and I've both seen and experienced my fair share of violence. I know about the theory of fight and flight (most important is actually freeze I'd say) from reading about it somewhere, but I can't remember where that was. Anyway, I used to always freeze up because what I thought in my mind was not how it was in reality. I was scared. I never ran from any fights or left anyone in need, I tried to do the right thing and I've got my face kicked in a few times, but I didn't really act either. Even when I started doing MMA, I could go and go in sparring, I took pride in my toughness, but I still froze up on the streets, somewhat. I was overthinking things, something deep down was telling me not to do anything out of self preservation. It bugged the hell out of me. As I got older, things started to change. I don't hang with any bad crowds anymore, but I helped a few people from getting seriously hurt. I started acting on things and I realised it's all in the mind. I realised that fighting for real is not some movie. You have to embrace the hurt, you have to accept it and not be afraid of it. You have to throw ego out the door. You're not some expert and don't expect to look cool either. Expect to get bloodied up and EMBRACE it (that's important). That way you will never be struck by fear or surprised. That's the mindset I was using sparring and that's the mindset that started to carry over. Things just started clicking and with all the shit I've seen it made sense. You wouldn't reason with a wild animal, you wouldn't overthink things, you wouldn't expect not to get messed up. If it was about to pounce, it's either you or it. That's the mindset you've got to have. With that in mind, take it out.

Hehe, sounds rough and I don't advocate real violence at all. Better to stay safe and out of trouble because so many bad things can happen, but that is the mentality you need to have if you want to act.

Sorry for the rant!

The person I originally quoted said Floyd would run from thugs, even if he knew he could beat them. I asked him what he bases this assumption on. Because that's what it is, an assumption.

Whether you consider running smart or not, there are people out there who wouldn't run. Based on what I know about Floyd, I'd say he's counted among those people. Certainly when he was younger. But who knows? All I know is that it's ridiculous to CLAIM AS FACT that Floyd would run, just because you (and the poster I quoted) consider it the best thing to do. That's an opinion, and not shared by everyone.

Floyd make what...350 mil (more or less) in his last fight...

...yet he would fight for free on the street against multiple dudes.

Nah.

Not a fucking chance.

Again, you're projecting your own feelings on Floyd. When has Floyd ran from some thugs? That's what I thought.

If you were Floyd's manager and you told him to FIGHT THUGS ON THE STREET if he was confronted...............

........you would be a SHIT manager.

TRULY.

Peace.

I think the Diaz might be horrible street fighters because they lack wrestling to keep it standing against multiple attackers, and their strikes don't come with much 1 hit KO ability which again is a must against multiple attackers.

But if we're talking one on one. Hand to hand. No weapons. Fight to the death... Then yeah... The Diaz bros might just be some of the best street fighters in the world.

I think the Diaz might be horrible street fighters because they lack wrestling to keep it standing against multiple attackers, and their strikes don't come with much 1 hit KO ability which again is a must against multiple attackers.

But if we're talking one on one. Hand to hand. No weapons. Fight to the death... Then yeah... The Diaz bros might just be some of the best street fighters in the world.

Yes. Good points all.

I was referring to one on one.

Personal experience. I haven't read any books on the topic, but this one that Hotora posted earlier looks interesting.

I trained Karate when I was a kid, I had these fantasies about what a fight was. I grew up in some pretty rough places and I've both seen and experienced my fair share of violence. I know about the theory of fight and flight (most important is actually freeze I'd say) from reading about it somewhere, but I can't remember where that was. Anyway, I used to always freeze up because what I thought in my mind was not how it was in reality. I was scared. I never ran from any fights or left anyone in need, I tried to do the right thing and I've got my face kicked in a few times, but I didn't really act either. Even when I started doing MMA, I could go and go in sparring, I took pride in my toughness, but I still froze up on the streets, somewhat. I was overthinking things, something deep down was telling me not to do anything out of self preservation. It bugged the hell out of me. As I got older, things started to change. I don't hang with any bad crowds anymore, but I helped a few people from getting seriously hurt. I started acting on things and I realised it's all in the mind. I realised that fighting for real is not some movie. You have to embrace the hurt, you have to accept it and not be afraid of it. You have to throw ego out the door. You're not some expert and don't expect to look cool either. Expect to get bloodied up and EMBRACE it (that's important). That way you will never be struck by fear or surprised. That's the mindset I was using sparring and that's the mindset that started to carry over. Things just started clicking and with all the shit I've seen it made sense. You wouldn't reason with a wild animal, you wouldn't overthink things, you wouldn't expect not to get messed up. If it was about to pounce, it's either you or it. That's the mindset you've got to have. With that in mind, take it out.

Hehe, sounds rough and I don't advocate real violence at all. Better to stay safe and out of trouble because so many bad things can happen, but that is the mentality you need to have if you want to act.

Sorry for the rant!
I generally agree with everything you said. I've always been taught by my parents that you can reason with anyone and words can solve every conflict. I had to learn the hard way that it's not always true. Indeed I did get bloodied up and had my nose broken in my first "real" fight but it was an eye-opening experience.

Started training my weak body since then. Joined a Karate club while in university - that was a huge turning point. It gave me a lot of confidence but also accustomed me to hurting opponents for real and being hurt for real. It let out a lot of aggression at the same time - in the sense that I stopped getting mad at bullies and was calm and composed instead. First time when I told a bully to back off and HE DID - that's when I understood how valuable my Karate training was. I was now capable of defending myself with words, because I knew I could back them up if required - and bullies felt it too. That was enough to convince most people, instead of actually hurting them.

I stopped freezing as well - I've been in a few risky situations on the evening streets but instead of freezing up I would either run, talk to the would-be assailant and calm him down or shout for help (which also works against street thugs - they don't want the extra trouble). I find dealing with drunk sports fans the easiest - just start chanting their team's name or slogan and instantly you change status from foe to friend. :)

I have not had any street fights since university though - and I'm proud if it. Even in situations where some would call it "unmanly" to back off, I prefer to back off and save myself or the would be opponent the medical bills and trouble with the law. The laws are strict here and even more so if you're the "martial arts trained" guy vs a "nobody" and he reports it to the police before you do.

I have a wife waiting for me at home - my primary goal is to return there in one piece every evening, even if it means apologizing to an asshole or even giving my wallet to a street thug. Fighting people on the street is never a good idea if you want to stay safe - for your own sake and for your family's sake. Even if you have a dozen black belts.

If you were Floyd's manager and you told him to FIGHT THUGS ON THE STREET if he was confronted...............

........you would be a SHIT manager.

TRULY.
Wtf are you talking about? Why are you suddenly bringing up Floyd's hypothetical managers?

Rynning away is not a bad option. Nor is it a pussy move.

Self defense fighting moves are for the situations where you cant run away, or when you are with someone that cant run away.. Or when you see someone being attacked without being able to get away.

I live by the fact if I had that happen to me.

I'm going down swinging and it's going to take a lot to beat me into submission. Cut the cranium lights, the only way you gonna put this dog down.

On that note, I would only act in such accordance if I had no other choice.

Back