Lift Weights, Eat More Protein, Especially if You’re Over 40

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People who would like to become physically stronger should start with weight training and add protein to their diets, according to a comprehensive scientific review of research.

The review finds that eating more protein, well past the amounts currently recommended, can significantly augment the effects of lifting weights, especially for people past the age of 40. But there is an upper limit to the benefits of protein, the review cautions.

On the other hand, any form of protein is likely to be effective, it concludes, not merely high-protein shakes and supplements. Beef, chicken, yogurt and even protein from peas or quinoa could help us to build larger and stronger muscles.

It makes intuitive sense that protein in our diets should aid in bulking up muscles in our bodies, since muscles consist mostly of protein. When we lift weights, we stress the muscles and cause minute damage to muscle tissue, which then makes new proteins to heal. But muscles also will readily turn to and slurp up any bonus proteins floating around in the bloodstream.

Knowing this, bodybuilders have long swallowed large amounts of gloppy, protein-rich shakes after workouts in the expectation of adding greater bulk to their muscles than the lifting alone.

full article
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/...more-protein-especially-if-youre-over-40.html

GOMAD if ur not a puss
if you are not Lactose intolerant

My friend did GOMAD and he put on a lot of weight he was drinking a gallon of whole milk a day while doing compound lifts

he had stretch marks all over his shoulder and pectoral near his arm pits area.

If I was over 40 and ready had kids. Then having smaller balls lol might be worth it.

i would get on Tren Ace

129ceada7f9ef359d5aebed81e9828096d4bf0d045576f0b2510c25544f7772f_facebook

Last edited:
if you are not Lactose intolerant

My friend did GOMAD and he put on a lot of weight he was drinking a gallon of whole milk a day while doing compound lifts

he had stretch marks all over his shoulder and pectoral near his arm pits area.
Gross. I know a lot of people do that when they are lifting a lot, especially with starting strength, and it seems to work as far as getting stronger, but that can't be good for you in terms of overall health

wow,totes amazables. who knew?

Instructions not clear. Got my dick stuck in man over 40s mouth

This would be more interesting if TS posted the actual important parts of the article..

But those who did ramp up their protein gained an extra 10 percent or so in strength and about 25 percent in muscle mass compared to the control groups.

The researchers also looked for the sweet spot for protein intake, which turned out to be about 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. In practical terms, that would amount to about 130 grams of protein a day for a 175-pound man. (A chicken breast has about 45 grams of protein.)

Beyond that point, more protein did not result in more muscle benefits.

On the other hand and conveniently, any type of and time for protein was fine. The gains were similar if people downed their protein immediately after a workout or in the hours earlier or later, and it made no difference if the protein was solid or liquid, soy, beef, vegan or any other.

I don't know how legit these studies are but this contradicts a few things often touted by the body building community. Over 1.6g of protein per kg of body weight apparently does nothing, type of protein(full protein source), and protein consumption timing not mattering.

Interesting..

Damnit!!! All this time I've been trying to get swole by running marathons, only buying quarts of juice (not gallons) so I don't have to lift anything too heavy, and eating salads!

Where was this information decades ago?!?!

Diet and exercise is for the poor. Real ballers can afford to just get a bunch of these

BEIGE%20MUSCLE%20CHEST.jpg

You mean exercise and lean protein are good for you? I am shocked. SHOCKED I SAY!

What's next? Vegetables are a great source of vitamins?

Gross. I know a lot of people do that when they are lifting a lot, especially with starting strength, and it seems to work as far as getting stronger, but that can't be good for you in terms of overall health

your skin starts getting greasy and some guys start breaking out, I used to drink milk daily and I would get acne all the time after drinking it but its probably cause the milk had hormones.

Knowing this, bodybuilders have long swallowed large amounts of gloppy, protein-rich shakes after workouts in the expectation of adding greater bulk to their muscles than the lifting alone.l

leaving_confused_room_exit.gif

I have about two litres of milk every week, a dozen eggs, about one and a quarter kilos of beans and about a half a kilo of beef. My muscles are pathetic, though. I hate exercise.

44 and I've been doing this for years. My creatine is a 1.0 without supplementing at all. It's just from my high protein, dead animals diet. Unfortunately my cholesterol is also high.

LMAO. I've got some more breaking news for your thread:

4ea4c7d90ff0aa708af2bad85f33858b--titanic-ship-titanic-sinking.jpg

Funny thing is I’m pretty sure weight lifters were hitting up the protein even before the titanic sunk, so it was old news even then.

Back