Lift Weights, Eat More Protein, Especially if You’re Over 40

Well i work out at home and i dont have weights for those

Im not trying to be big and bulky, running builds good leg muscles

If you have dumbbells you can still do legs.

Goblet squats
Bulgarian/split squats
Lunges and all their variants
Weighted step ups
Dumbbell leg curls
Calf raises
Dumbbell deadlifts

This is news?
It actually (sort of) contradicts the current consensus, which is that older men should reduce our protein intakes (while upping veggie intake) to prolong life and avoid cancer, so yeah, this is interesting.

Number one thing is keeping your weight down: protein ratios, lean body comps, or otherwise. Keep the BMI down.

Well i work out at home and i dont have weights for those

Im not trying to be big and bulky, running builds good leg muscles

Your legs account for over half of your body. You're doing this wrong. You also don't have any core exercises.

This would be more interesting if TS posted the actual important parts of the article..

I don't know how legit these studies are but this contradicts a few things often touted by the body building community. Over 1.6g of protein per kg of body weight apparently does nothing, type of protein(full protein source), and protein consumption timing not mattering.

Interesting..

I recently came across an article citing some old studies about protein.

"• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
• Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
• Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
• Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
• Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period."

People who do a GOMAD are stupid.
Why? Those guys who find it impossibly difficult to add mass testify en masse what an incredibly simple and effective program it is for them to follow.

You think scarecrows are at risk for diabetes or something? Get real.

I work out almost every day.... sometimes every day of the week...honestly at this point I dont know work out for looks or to break any personal record, I dont have "goals" at the gym...I just work out because of how I feel while working out, its like my personal time that I enjoy every day... I try to eat clean but I really dont think I diet, I think I look strong but I dont have a six pack nor do I care to have one.

When I start drinking those protein powders on shakes I feel I bulk up too much and with a shirt I look fat... even though I dont care too much about looks I dont want to look fat either so I decided not to take them... maybe I'll try again sometime because I do understand protein helps build muscles and thats what I do everyday but that was my experience with protein last time. Maybe I would have to diet better in order to build good muscle but nahhh I rather eat what I like, work out every day (since I enjoy doing it anyways) and forget about protein shakes (since I get all bulked up and look fat) I think for now Im fine this way

Why? Those guys who find it impossibly difficult to add mass testify en masse what an incredibly simple and effective program it is for them to follow.

You think scarecrows are at risk for diabetes or something? Get real.

A gallon of milk a day to bulk up sounds crazy to me. If you're taking in 2400 additional calories per day, you're going to get fat in a hurry.

I recently came across an article citing some old studies about protein.

"• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
• Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
• Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
• Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
• Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period."

I always thought we just shit most of it out considering naturally you can only gain .5lbs of muscle mass per week.

your skin starts getting greasy and some guys start breaking out, I used to drink milk daily and I would get acne all the time after drinking it but its probably cause the milk had hormones.

It's definitely not hormones in the milk. The levels even were the milk contaminated are beyond insignificant.

A gallon of milk a day to bulk up sounds crazy to me. If you're taking in 2400 additional calories per day, you're going to get fat in a hurry.
That's the point. Those guys don't have issues with burning fat. Bring the fat, bring the gain.

More than anything those guys just need to get used to feeling radically different than how they're accustomed to feeling. They must discover a new definition of, "I'm full." Boiling it down to something as simple as an added gallon of milk doesn't let them escape to vague and indeterminate self-assessments of, "I ate a lot today." Did you get that gallon down?

No?

You didn't eat shit, scarecrow. Calories, calories, calories. Corned beef hash!!

I always thought we just shit most of it out considering naturally you can only gain .5lbs of muscle mass per week.

While muscle comes a lot slower, fat can be gained pretty quick. I was "winging it" on bulking up a little over a year ago when I started working out seriously again. Ended up 12lbs heavier after a month, so roughly 10 of that had to be fat...or 2lbs per week of fat.

I drink half a gallon of whole milk a day

I eat chicken and beef every day

I drink whey protein shakes first thing in the morning

I only drink alcohol 2 or 3 days a week

I have a 3 day exercise cycle

Day 1: Back, biceps, running
Day 2: Chest, shoulders, running
Day 3: Running

No legs? Wtf? At least do squats and deadlifts. If you got back or not want to fuck with those do calf raises and leg press and calf machine. Also leg curls

Wth, this is news to anybody? Did you just fall off the Amish wagon, or what?

If I was over 40 and ready had kids. Then having smaller balls lol might be worth it.

i would get on Tren Ace

129ceada7f9ef359d5aebed81e9828096d4bf0d045576f0b2510c25544f7772f_facebook

it may just be me, but that look is ridiculous. i'm all about lifting and being in shape, as i personally feel i am, but the proportions on each of those guys seems to be off.

I've gained so much knowledge in this thread, TS. Thanks.

it may just be me, but that look is ridiculous. i'm all about lifting and being in shape, as i personally feel i am, but the proportions on each of those guys seems to be off.

It's just the annoying hair styles that are distracting.

Back