Lets be honest, its complete b.s. strikers cant grab the cage to prevent the takedown

Its almost like a cage favors grapplers, while a ring is better for strikers.

Who knew.

The sport favors wrestlers in so many ways which is sad.
Anyone who thinks this is an idiot. The unified rules favour wrestlers more then pride did, but it still heavily favors strikers

Anyone who thinks this is an idiot. The unified rules favour wrestlers more then pride did, but it still heavily favors strikers
No it doesn't. DC is the double champ

A square cage would be equal for wrestlers and strikers.

Strikers can't knee from bottom position side control they are forced to play wrestling. When a knee from side control isn't as dangerous as a flying knee.

Last edited:
So grapplers can push us against the cage to establish position but we cant use
the cage to prevent takedowns? Seems very biased towards the grappler right? Wrestlers are protected by that and lack of soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents imo.

strikers are protect from grapplers kicking and snapping their fingers when they grab the cage

You see it in amateur MMA endless cage hugging from the wrestlers, no way does this favour a striker being pushed into something they're not even aloud to use their fingers to push back from

MMA isn't the be all end all when the rules favour grapplers and make it a form of Combat Sambo up against the cage That the rules favour wrestlers in. That's why I'll be watching Kickboxing, Bare Knuckle boxing etc. Too

Just think real street fight any cage hugger would get done in with a 12-6 elbow or a dirty boxing elbow. To me it isn't true combat and turns it into a college wrestling match at the cage

Last edited:
So grapplers can push us against the cage to establish position but we cant use the cage to prevent takedowns? Seems very biased towards the grappler right? Wrestlers are protected by that and lack of soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents imo.

The last sentence shows exactly how freaking little you know about MMA. Knees on the ground is a HUGE weapons for wrestlers. Go watch some old fight idiot and educate you self.

I wish they get rid of the fence, with todays technology, they can come up with something far better I think. The fence is also really shitty when you are there live, I used to go to UFC events, but not anymore, and one of the big reasons is because of the view. The view live is awful, you spend 90% of the time looking at the big screen, its hard to see unless you have amazing expensive seats. And sadly I'm not rich so can't afford that

So grapplers can push us against the cage to establish position but we cant use the cage to prevent takedowns? Seems very biased towards the grappler right? Wrestlers are protected by that and lack of soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents imo.

The only reason I’ve heard for this is so they don’t rip their fingers off.

How fucking stupid is that.

Legalize fence grabbing!

You couldn't grab the ropes in the striker friendly Pride. But I agree with the rest. If you shoot, I should be allowed to soccer kick your head into the bleachers. Fair's fair. You line your head up in my strike zone and expect me to not swing? Get over yourself.

Because fighters would get their heads smashed in if they used hockey glass
13694699_609493295897682_1690580894_n.jpg

Allowing cage grabbing would probably make for some really shitty fights. One dude would be holding on to the fence for dear life, while the other one is humping his leg, trying to complete the td.

Re: Blond's post

Yeah but the grappler favoured cage rules are basically the same as that right now.
A wrestler sits on top of a striker while the strikers self defence mechanisms have been stripped away from them such as a 12-6 elbow in takedown defence. It's a glorified college wrestling. A glorified citizens arrest while people make out it's pure MMA.

Honestly sitting on top of people is pre/high school level fights and the cage should be removed to prevent it. Strikers are unfairly disadvantaged in the rules. Fair enough sitting on top if you've knocked them down but not just get them to the cage and hug them for 5 rounds like Khabib. Also Khabib does a jab v Barboza and Laquinta but would get starched off Woodley so him partaking in striking v those cherries still means nothing.

the rules force strikers to play a college wrestling ballgame, weighted in the grapplers favour, that isn't entertaining. While all their tools such as an elbow in takedown defence and knee from bottom side control have been stripped away.

Last edited:
MMA on a soccer field like Rogan suggests. That would be the purest form of combat.

I can in this thread with an open mind. Great point.

Strangely I've never really thought about that, but I kinda agree, it would be more entertaining and less weighted in grappler favour.

I love how sherdoggers try to rewrite history and pretend that early MMA was a fast paced, highlight reel, striker's paradise before a bunch of grappling biased rules were put into place.

The fence grabbing rule was put into place for exactly the same reason standups were put into place. There were some early fights that devolved into two guys doing nothing but hold onto one another for several minutes at a time waiting for the opportunity for a positional advantage if the other guy would only make some sort of first move.

The brief grab of the fence to avoid a takedown in the moment is still there for anyone to use. It never gets penalized. Which, I tend to agree, is as it should be.

For the most part, though, MMA rules that do not correlate with the real possibilities of a fighter being killed (shots to the back of the head) or maimed (eye gouging) were put in place for the distinct purpose of taking away the grappler's advantage and thereby, in the eyes of many, making more fan friendly fights (the stand-up, the separation in the clinch, dividing fights into shorter rounds, etc).

If they allow fence grabbing the grapplers will hold a striker against the fence and lock their fingers in the cage behind him....It would probably help the grapplers more than the strikers.

yes we already know USA MMA rules and conventions favor wrestlers

that's why MMA should happen on a large field with no walls

Back