Lets be honest, its complete b.s. strikers cant grab the cage to prevent the takedown

UFC 1 was made for BJJ.

How so? I mean... I get that it was made in order to showcase BJJ, but in what way were the rules biased in favour of BJJ players? Seems to me that it was a fairly even playing field, rules wise.

The few rules that did exist were in favour of the strikers. You think allowing a striker to eye poke at will is an advantage? Wait until a wrestler/grappler has you on the mat. There wouldn't be a single rear naked choke finish in the history of the sport if you could just take a guy's back and gouge his eyes out.

Mostly the cage.
How about the rules? Your telling me if you were in a street fight and someone put you in a triangle you wouldn’t stick your thumb in their eye?

Or (if you were in the right position) get out of it then kick them in the head? Please

I have no idea why anyone would want to watch mma for the striking. It sucks. Mma if designed for grapplers to be competitive

So grapplers can push us against the cage to establish position but we cant use the cage to prevent takedowns? Seems very biased towards the grappler right? Wrestlers are protected by that and lack of soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents imo.

Sounds like you and fighters that have the same issue should learn how to not get bullied into a position you don’t want to be in

Americans don't have the best wrestlers. They are in Turkey, Iran, Russia places like that.

You should watch some of the Senior World Wrestling Championships on this weekend.....the American wrestlers are doing quite well (again)!

So grapplers can push us against the cage to establish position but we cant use the cage to prevent takedowns? Seems very biased towards the grappler right? Wrestlers are protected by that and lack of soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents imo.
I think if you asked....most wrestlers would be in favour of knees to a downed opponent!

You're supposed to have the skill to prevent a takedown. Grabbing a cage is something a person without skill will do
Using the cage to complete a takedown is something a person without skill would do.

You’re a moron.

Its BS the cage is there at all.

They hold events in hockey arenas anyway... get a bigass mat as big as the surface, fuck your floor seats.

then the grappler would be allowed to grab the fence too and could probably grind the other guy down even easier....

and knees to a grounded opponent also favor the grappler more....

Cage makes it easier for strikers actually. Try getting up from the bottom in a ring. IT actually requires learning BJJ. Cage is much easier to get up and defend takedown. The only thing that sucks about it is the wall n stall hugging.
Wrong! Ask anybody who fights. Cage is great for grapplers/wrestlers.

They know the rules before they get in the cage. Not against soccer kicks and knees to the head of a grounded opponent though. Keep in mind that Pride didn't allow elbows, which would limit a grappler's GnP aresenal more than a strikers stand-up would it not?

I watched some really early, bush-league MMA show on YouTube that bragged about no rules and one of the matches consisted of a guy holding the fence for 10 minutes until the round ended and then it went into overtime.

Cage makes it easier for strikers actually. Try getting up from the bottom in a ring. IT actually requires learning BJJ. Cage is much easier to get up and defend takedown. The only thing that sucks about it is the wall n stall hugging.
Thank you, glad the correct answer is on the first page.

It's also biased against grapplers that they can't knee opponents on the ground. Knees from side control or front headlock position would be way more effective than anything strikers are restricted to do.
Yup. People conflate good/bad results in grappling into one thing... "knees to head favors strikers." No, it favors good grappling. It adds punishment for FAILED takedowns that are sprawled against (watch CroCop) and it adds incentive for a good wrestler who can get to a good position and unleash hell (watch Coleman).

American rules and the octogon have created a playing field advantageous to grapplers and its been know for awhile. It sucks but it is what it is. It's a big part of the reason of why wrestling is considered such a dominant martial art in mma Cause the rules are tailor made for it to succeed.

It's also one of the reasons that Fedor might lose to Bader soon, as much as I hate to admit it.

A fair playing field for mma is one without any borders, walls or obstacles that influence the position of the fighters or the fight.

Last edited:
I agree. BYou also should be able to hold shorts, hairs, gloves, etc.
Nah see youre taking it too far. The cage is an outside influence that lends an unfair tactical advantage. The other fouls are flagrant because they are committed through physical contact with your opponent. Be logical as your name states. Lol

American rules and the octogon have created a playing field advantageous to grapples and its been know for awhile. It sucks but it is what it is. It's a big part of the reason of why wrestling is considered such a dominant martial art in mma Cause the rules are tailor made for it to succeed.

It's also one of the reasons that Fedor might lose to Bader soon, as much as I hate to admit it.

A fair playing field for mma is one without any borders, walls or obstacles that influence the position of the fight.

No one is stopping a striker for upper cutting or kneeing an incoming wrestler, no one is stopping the striker having better BJJ then the wrestler, stop making excuses.

The cage is not easier to defend a takedown

The grappler just stays clinched to them and brings them back down when they get up.and pushes the strikers core downwards into the cage keeping the wrestler on top

Jeez I thought you nuggets were experts

You've obviously never been against a wrestler pushing you into the cage and pushing your core downwards getting on top of you while you're basically unable to do anything not even hold the cage while they leverage it against you and basically can't elbow them either

The chosen one, it's lottery to land a knee on an incoming takedown or everyone would do.it

What's easier is elbowing their head which is basically disallowed in the glorified grappling citizens arrest rules

Back