Leandro Lo at AOJ

Since you are bringing this up.. am I missing something, or now it is quite some time there is no new footage of famous guests rolling with the Mendes bros?

None in the new site (about a year and half ago), at least according to video name.

The last famous roll in the old site was Luis Panza, according to video names.

It's possible there's somebody famous where the video isn't labeled but I don't feel like going through them all. Unless you're counting Nick the Tooth, who showed up in a few.

None in the new site (about a year and half ago), at least according to video name.

The last famous roll in the old site was Luis Panza, according to video names.

Are the old videos stashed somewhere?

I heard this story about Buchecha visiting there a couple of years ago and he was training with one of the mendes brothers. During the roll he saw someone standing on the side filming the roll sneakily. So he got up and said if you guys are filming this I will not roll friendly anymore - and the filming got stopped.
I can definitely believe that. They secretly filmed Bill Cooper, Joel Tudor, and a couple of others as well.

The Mendes brothers posted rolls with Panza while he was visibly exhausted and they where fresh (likely from beating the crap out of their competition team) and Panza got annoyed and posted an video of an old fight where Cobrinha was abusing Rafa.
Rafa posted the video the day after Panza won Pans too. And the video was from a while before that.

Are the old videos stashed somewhere?
Nope. All the rolls on the old site got deleted. :( They may be on yourube or vimeo or dailymotion somewhere though

Recently, there was footage of Leandro Lo teaching at AOJ. He was using one of the blue belts to demonstrate techniques on and to translate for him. There were some videos earlier on youtube but they are now taken down

Is there any footage of him rolling with either of the Mendes Bros? that would be really interesting

Also, found it strange he used one of their students to translate and not one of the Mendes Bros

Anyone know anything of them training together?

Some good details on the knee slice from DLR.
I've been trying to imitate him, and could never quite get it to work on higher level training partners.

Main points to implement:
  1. Pinching knees after you step over the leg.
  2. Pulling the knee to the side as you enter the knee slide.

I've been trying to imitate him, and could never quite get it to work on higher level training partners.

those helped with the knee slide vs DLR a lot. Just from a few small details

Also to post the hand on hip before sliding.

Gui and Rafa also teach to pinch the knees. What I got from Lo is that you don't need a super crouched squat posture. Lo was more or less relaxed standing, which is a lot easier physically.

Untill my purple belt Leandro trained with us at Cicero Costha, guy is probably one of the most competitive human being I know. His closest friends I know said it too. Leandro would probably kill the two Mendes, no disrespect

I tend to think so. Size matters, and Lo's huge now. Elite huge guys wreck elite little guys. It's not a mystery.

Also to post the hand on hip before sliding.

Gui and Rafa also teach to pinch the knees. What I got from Lo is that you don't need a super crouched squat posture. Lo was more or less relaxed standing, which is a lot easier physically.

Lo's passing is very different in concept from the Mendes way. He's willing to take risks they never would in terms of basically throwing himself at people and relying on his length and active posting to allow him to ride the sweep into a pass. That's giving up control of the situation in a way Rafa nor Gui ever would. Their whole jiu jitsu is based on maintaining as much control as possible all the time.

A good example of this would be the match Lo had with Sean Roberts back in the day. Lo won something like 42-0, but he didn't finish him. He just kept passing his guard and getting dominant positions, but his sub attempts were hurried. You'd never in a million years see Rafa win a serious match by that much. He'd win by submission when he was up 7-0 from the pass and back take. Because when a Mendes gets position on you he controls you and either finishes or ends the time in that same dominant position. Lo's BJJ is a lot more exciting and you can't say that it's worse, but it may not be as replicable for people without his physical qualities whereas I think most people can do most of what the brothers do just by working on the technique and underlying strategy they preach.

Lo's passing is very different in concept from the Mendes way. He's willing to take risks they never would in terms of basically throwing himself at people and relying on his length and active posting to allow him to ride the sweep into a pass. That's giving up control of the situation in a way Rafa nor Gui ever would. Their whole jiu jitsu is based on maintaining as much control as possible all the time.

A good example of this would be the match Lo had with Sean Roberts back in the day. Lo won something like 42-0, but he didn't finish him. He just kept passing his guard and getting dominant positions, but his sub attempts were hurried. You'd never in a million years see Rafa win a serious match by that much. He'd win by submission when he was up 7-0 from the pass and back take. Because when a Mendes gets position on you he controls you and either finishes or ends the time in that same dominant position. Lo's BJJ is a lot more exciting and you can't say that it's worse, but it may not be as replicable for people without his physical qualities whereas I think most people can do most of what the brothers do just by working on the technique and underlying strategy they preach.

Very insightful.

I have been to a lot of Caio Terra seminars and it seems during the Q&A people always ask him who is the best/toughest person he has rolled with, most expecting him to say Bruno or something. He usually states different people have different strengths and strategies and when/how you roll with them. He did however mention that Leandro Lo was always a crazy roll because he never got tired and couldn't care less if you are a black belt or white belt.
I go to this side of sherdog for these. Intredasting. Thanks.

I tend to think so. Size matters, and Lo's huge now. Elite huge guys wreck elite little guys. It's not a mystery.
I don't think this is accurate at all. Rodolfo beat Rafa by a refs decision in no gi.... far from wrecking him. Lo would absolutely not wreck either Mendes brother. Don't get me wrong size is important but I think it's ridiculous to say anyone on the planet is wrecking a Mendes bro.

I don't think this is accurate at all. Rodolfo beat Rafa by a refs decicison in no gi.... far from wrecking him. Lo would absolutely not wreck either Mendes brother. Don't get me wrong size is important but I think it's ridiculous to say anyone on the planet is wrecking a Mendes bro.

I think no-gi is a pretty different animal in which the smaller guy has MUCH better chance of surviving since it's harder to overpower someone without gi grips (not to mention that Rodolfo is not nearly dangerous without the gi). FWIW I think without the gi either Mendes bro would probably do fine with Lo, the gi would make it much, much harder for them to resist his pressure.

I think no-gi is a pretty different animal in which the smaller guy has MUCH better chance of surviving since it's harder to overpower someone without gi grips (not to mention that Rodolfo is not nearly dangerous without the gi). FWIW I think without the gi either Mendes bro would probably do fine with Lo, the gi would make it much, much harder for them to resist his pressure.

True, but they still do fine and roll with Keenan, Galvao and some of the other big guys from ATOS.

Regarding Los weight, he made a comment about moving up. Basically he said that as he moved up absolute became easier.

I want sure if that was the reason he moved up, and maybe somebody who saw the QA heard it differently. Not surprising but Interesting anyway.

I disagree whole heartedly that any elite huge guy not named Roger wrecks Rafa Mendes in a gi. Beats? Maybe, yeah. Submits? Sure, it could potentially happen (although very, very unlikely in 10 minutes). Wreck? No.

His game is about framing and control and dictating where the match takes place. To get so far ahead of him that you would wreck him is so unlikely. Even if you manage to get a step ahead, what is the likelihood you continue widening the gap versus Rafa recomposing himself? How many times have you seen someone even cleanly score on him (meaning not see sawing in 50/50) or giving any indication that there is an aspect to take advantage of?

I would bet my bottom dollar that even if Buchecha or Lo managed to get through his guard, which I doubt, they'd be having fits and unable to move freely for 3/4 of the match.

I disagree whole heartedly that any elite huge guy not named Roger wrecks Rafa Mendes in a gi. Beats? Maybe, yeah. Submits? Sure, it could potentially happen (although very, very unlikely in 10 minutes). Wreck? No.

His game is about framing and control and dictating where the match takes place. To get so far ahead of him that you would wreck him is so unlikely. Even if you manage to get a step ahead, what is the likelihood you continue widening the gap versus Rafa recomposing himself? How many times have you seen someone even cleanly score on him (meaning not see sawing in 50/50) or giving any indication that there is an aspect to take advantage of?

I would bet my bottom dollar that even if Buchecha or Lo managed to get through his guard, which I doubt, they'd be having fits and unable to move freely for 3/4 of the match.

I'd take that bet. Though 'wreck' is probably the wrong word. I think in a Rafa - Lo match that Rafa wouldn't score a point, would spend the whole match on defense, and would at the very least have his guard passed and spend the match on bottom. I also don't think he could pass Lo's guard. The size difference is too big without a concomitant skill gap.

I'd take that bet. Though 'wreck' is probably the wrong word. I think in a Rafa - Lo match that Rafa wouldn't score a point, would spend the whole match on defense, and would at the very least have his guard passed and spend the match on bottom. I also don't think he could pass Lo's guard. The size difference is too big without a concomitant skill gap.

IDK man, I just can't see it. Rafa is usually in the discussion for P4P best grappler. I think it would be a very low scoring match. I can Rafa sweeping Lo, and Lo possibly sweeping Rafa. However, would probably be a lot of stalemating in my opinion. You're a good poster, so I guess just a difference of opinion. It is a fun topic to speculate on though.

IDK man, I just can't see it. Rafa is usually in the discussion for P4P best grappler. I think it would be a very low scoring match. I can Rafa sweeping Lo, and Lo possibly sweeping Rafa. However, would probably be a lot of stalemating in my opinion. You're a good poster, so I guess just a difference of opinion. It is a fun topic to speculate on though.

P4P is very different than actual real life. P4P Rafa is at least as good as Lo, probably better. But Lo outweighs him by at least 50 lbs by now, mostly muscle, and that's just a hell of a thing to deal with in another elite athlete.

And I have never in my life seen Lo stalemate.

Back