Leandro Lo at AOJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BJJ Coffee Drinker, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

BJJ Coffee Drinker
    Recently, there was footage of Leandro Lo teaching at AOJ. He was using one of the blue belts to demonstrate techniques on and to translate for him. There were some videos earlier on youtube but they are now taken down

Is there any footage of him rolling with either of the Mendes Bros? that would be really interesting

Also, found it strange he used one of their students to translate and not one of the Mendes Bros

Anyone know anything of them training together?

2. Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Solidus Snake
    Since you are bringing this up.. am I missing something, or now it is quite some time there is no new footage of famous guests rolling with the Mendes bros?

mataleaos likes this.
  3. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    You're not going to see any footage come out of Rafa or Gui rolling with Lo. I can't imagine that would make them look as good as they insist on looking in everything they publish.

4. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

bjjaz
    Rafa and Gui were not at the academy for the seminar as they were on their own seminar tours.

leaf22 likes this.
  5. Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Solidus Snake
    I guess so in this case, but I was talking more in general. I can't even remember the last high level black belt rolling they put out, plus most of them are gone anyway (like the infamous roll with Luiz Panza).

I can imagine something happened since this stuff was a great advertisement for them.

6. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    People might have realized that if you show up wearing a black belt and roll nice that they're going to post footage that makes it look like they owned you. Which in fairness they often will have done, being amazing black belts, but still...who wants to sign up for that?

Solidus Snake likes this.
  7. rickjamez Orange Belt

rickjamez
    I heard this story about Buchecha visiting there a couple of years ago and he was training with one of the mendes brothers. During the roll he saw someone standing on the side filming the roll sneakily. So he got up and said if you guys are filming this I will not roll friendly anymore - and the filming got stopped.

8. BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

BJJ Coffee Drinker
    damn. sneaky. wonder how much truth there is to that story there.

That makes sense, that both Mendes Bros were gone when Leandro was there. Shame that they didn't get to train with each other

9. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

bjjaz
    What happened with Luiz Panza?

10. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

bjjaz
    On Caio's site, there is a pretty cool roll with Lo and Marcio Andre (when Marcio was a brown belt) when they all were training there for Pans or Worlds.

11. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    The Mendes brothers posted rolls with Panza while he was visibly exhausted and they where fresh (likely from beating the crap out of their competition team) and Panza got annoyed and posted an video of an old fight where Cobrinha was abusing Rafa.

12. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

bjjaz
    Interesting, thanks for the reply.

13. GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

GordoBarraBJJ
    Or wait until the whole academy has rolled with Lo then roll with him and film it.

lts5025 likes this.
  14. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    I think Lo would still wreck shop. Have you ever seen the video of how he trained at Costa? The dude is an absolute cardio monster. I've never seen him get tired.

randomg1t, winterbike and bjjaz like this.
  15. bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

bjjaz
    I have been to a lot of Caio Terra seminars and it seems during the Q&A people always ask him who is the best/toughest person he has rolled with, most expecting him to say Bruno or something. He usually states different people have different strengths and strategies and when/how you roll with them. He did however mention that Leandro Lo was always a crazy roll because he never got tired and couldn't care less if you are a black belt or white belt.

16. JustTheTip Green Belt

JustTheTip
    In an interview Keenan was asked about a visit to AOJ and he mentioned how his roll with the brothers didn't get put on the site because of how competitive it was.

loyalyolayal and HunterAcosta like this.
  17. JustTheTip Green Belt

JustTheTip
    I went to Caio's Worlds Camp where there were about 30 competitive BBs. Lo and Joao Gabriel(before his illness) were totally wrecking people. Seeing it totally changed my paradigm of how dominate the top BBs are. They were wrecking some very well known BBs.

bjjaz and HunterAcosta like this.
  18. dimmyfinster Orange Belt

dimmyfinster
    The site shows Lo rolling with a lot of the AOJ students a range of belts.

Surprisingly, Lo doesn't go that hard, he lets the AOJ students try a few things before doing what he wants.. In particular he just toys with one of their coaches, who is a master's world champion.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Uchi Mata likes this.
  19. alissonsp93 White Belt

alissonsp93
    Untill my purple belt Leandro trained with us at Cicero Costha, guy is probably one of the most competitive human being I know. His closest friends I know said it too. Leandro would probably kill the two Mendes, no disrespect

bjjaz and Uchi Mata like this.
  20. Aed White Belt

Aed
    I feel like he would too. A while ago, I watched him basically run through the entire competition class at Unity and then still look very sharp when rolling with multiple world champions after the class was over.

I have no idea how the average person at Unity compares to the average person at AoJ, but I would like to think it's pretty similar.