Leandro Lo at AOJ

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
Recently, there was footage of Leandro Lo teaching at AOJ. He was using one of the blue belts to demonstrate techniques on and to translate for him. There were some videos earlier on youtube but they are now taken down

Is there any footage of him rolling with either of the Mendes Bros? that would be really interesting

Also, found it strange he used one of their students to translate and not one of the Mendes Bros

Anyone know anything of them training together?

Since you are bringing this up.. am I missing something, or now it is quite some time there is no new footage of famous guests rolling with the Mendes bros?

Since you are bringing this up.. am I missing something, or now it is quite some time there is no new footage of famous guests rolling with the Mendes bros?

You're not going to see any footage come out of Rafa or Gui rolling with Lo. I can't imagine that would make them look as good as they insist on looking in everything they publish.

Rafa and Gui were not at the academy for the seminar as they were on their own seminar tours.

You're not going to see any footage come out of Rafa or Gui rolling with Lo. I can't imagine that would make them look as good as they insist on looking in everything they publish.

I guess so in this case, but I was talking more in general. I can't even remember the last high level black belt rolling they put out, plus most of them are gone anyway (like the infamous roll with Luiz Panza).

I can imagine something happened since this stuff was a great advertisement for them.

I guess so in this case, but I was talking more in general. I can't even remember the last high level black belt rolling they put out, plus most of them are gone anyway (like the infamous roll with Luiz Panza).

I can imagine something happened since this stuff was a great advertisement for them.

People might have realized that if you show up wearing a black belt and roll nice that they're going to post footage that makes it look like they owned you. Which in fairness they often will have done, being amazing black belts, but still...who wants to sign up for that?

I heard this story about Buchecha visiting there a couple of years ago and he was training with one of the mendes brothers. During the roll he saw someone standing on the side filming the roll sneakily. So he got up and said if you guys are filming this I will not roll friendly anymore - and the filming got stopped.

I heard this story about Buchecha visiting there a couple of years ago and he was training with one of the mendes brothers. During the roll he saw someone standing on the side filming the roll sneakily. So he got up and said if you guys are filming this I will not roll friendly anymore - and the filming got stopped.

damn. sneaky. wonder how much truth there is to that story there.

That makes sense, that both Mendes Bros were gone when Leandro was there. Shame that they didn't get to train with each other

What happened with Luiz Panza?

damn. sneaky. wonder how much truth there is to that story there.

That makes sense, that both Mendes Bros were gone when Leandro was there. Shame that they didn't get to train with each other

On Caio's site, there is a pretty cool roll with Lo and Marcio Andre (when Marcio was a brown belt) when they all were training there for Pans or Worlds.

What happened with Luiz Panza?

The Mendes brothers posted rolls with Panza while he was visibly exhausted and they where fresh (likely from beating the crap out of their competition team) and Panza got annoyed and posted an video of an old fight where Cobrinha was abusing Rafa.

The Mendes brothers posted rolls with Panza while he was visibly exhausted and they where fresh (likely from beating the crap out of their competition team) and Panza got annoyed and posted an video of an old fight where Cobrinha was abusing Rafa.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Or wait until the whole academy has rolled with Lo then roll with him and film it.

Or wait until the whole academy has rolled with Lo then roll with him and film it.

I think Lo would still wreck shop. Have you ever seen the video of how he trained at Costa? The dude is an absolute cardio monster. I've never seen him get tired.

I think Lo would still wreck shop. Have you ever seen the video of how he trained at Costa? The dude is an absolute cardio monster. I've never seen him get tired.

I have been to a lot of Caio Terra seminars and it seems during the Q&A people always ask him who is the best/toughest person he has rolled with, most expecting him to say Bruno or something. He usually states different people have different strengths and strategies and when/how you roll with them. He did however mention that Leandro Lo was always a crazy roll because he never got tired and couldn't care less if you are a black belt or white belt.

In an interview Keenan was asked about a visit to AOJ and he mentioned how his roll with the brothers didn't get put on the site because of how competitive it was.

I went to Caio's Worlds Camp where there were about 30 competitive BBs. Lo and Joao Gabriel(before his illness) were totally wrecking people. Seeing it totally changed my paradigm of how dominate the top BBs are. They were wrecking some very well known BBs.

The site shows Lo rolling with a lot of the AOJ students a range of belts.

Surprisingly, Lo doesn't go that hard, he lets the AOJ students try a few things before doing what he wants.. In particular he just toys with one of their coaches, who is a master's world champion.

Last edited:
Untill my purple belt Leandro trained with us at Cicero Costha, guy is probably one of the most competitive human being I know. His closest friends I know said it too. Leandro would probably kill the two Mendes, no disrespect

I feel like he would too. A while ago, I watched him basically run through the entire competition class at Unity and then still look very sharp when rolling with multiple world champions after the class was over.

I have no idea how the average person at Unity compares to the average person at AoJ, but I would like to think it's pretty similar.

Back