Lawyer: Conor McGregor has ‘no way to defend himself’ in Michael Chiesa lawsuit

But saying "I did it" doesn't mean Chiesa gets a dime. That's why there's a civil case, which will almost definitely be settled because frankly, Chiesa isn't going to get a million dollars from this. He got less cut up in the "attack" than he does during his fights, and he absolutely cannot prove he would have fought for the LW belt. He's lucky to get anything more than his show+win money plus legal fees.

That's not the point though, there is no defence there is no only an argument for how much to pay. Conor loses this case without question there is no defense he can argue since he admitted he did it, the point of the trial would only be to determine how much he has to pay. Its a moot point though because they will settle out of court.

He will get more than his show/win because he can claim trauma, pain suffering, etc but it def wont be in the millions but still a nice paycheck most likely

Last edited:
Lawyer: Conor McGregor has ‘no way to defend himself’ in Khabib Nurmagomedov fight

Nope. It was a bullshit story from the UFC because they didn't want Felder fighting Khabib for some reason and tried to pawn it off on the commission.

MMA Fighting spoke with NYSAC executive director Kim Sumbler regarding the Felder ordeal to help add some clarity to an otherwise messy situation.

“Paul Felder never came into play,” explained Sumbler. “He was never presented to me as an opponent, ever. His name was talked around the commission room with other fighters, other managers and other people, but the UFC never presented me Paul Felder as a potential opponent for Khabib.”

http://combatpress.com/2018/04/ufc-223-the-mystery-of-paul-felder-and-the-nysac/
I can't help but remain a little skeptical; Sumbler made a very specific form of denial:
“Paul Felder never came into play,” Sumbler clarified. “He was never presented to me as an opponent, ever. His name was talked around the commission room with other fighters, other managers and other people, but the UFC never presented me Paul Felder as a potential opponent for Khabib.”
Given how frequently NYSAC has screwed up in a little less than two years, this response by Sumbler reeks of her trying to protect herself. Of course, my presumption doesn't change the fact that this statement by her would hurt Chiesa's argument of a possible title shot.

That being said, I wasn't aware of this information, so thanks for the additional insight ;).

yeah, he'll settle out of court, because he doesn't defend. Oh, only Artem.
Damn now I know why he never defended.

Young Fuck didn't read what I wrote. Shit is going to be settled because it's cheaper.

I spent 10 years learning this shit and 20 practicing it. I just spent the last twenty minutes talking truck cartel claims.

Chiesa the american leach.

He is bringing in money to spend in the US with money taken from a foreigner though, so that has to be good. I hope Chiesa gets rich on this like 5 million or so (settled out of court). Conor brought that on himself with that stupid shit.

what a bum chiesa is, can't win a fight for shit so he sues a more accomplished fighter to make money, bitch made mfer

What's this fkn lawsuit about? What's he saying Conor did
He got a cut on the forehead and missed his fight with Pettis. Still got paid his show $ for that fight though. Then he fought again less than 3 months later. Very hard to substantiate damages. But he is going for “emotional trauma” and all sorts of other bs. Conor won’t likely want to go to court and will settle for something in the $200K range. Not bad for Chiesa who makes $30K a fight.

This

There's always a defense. Even if you were caught committing murder on video - there's always a defense.

There's always a defense that you can present, but not all cases are created equal. This is a shitty case for Conor. There's no getting out of this one. This myth that some hotshot lawyer will always prevail is simply not true. These attorneys that do have a tremendously high success rate do so because they know a shitty case when they see one and reject it (unless there's a ton of money to be had).

yeah, he'll settle out of court, because he doesn't defend. Oh, only Artem.
Damn now I know why he never defended.
Because he never needs to defend. Special people get special treatment. It’s how the world works

This

There's always a defense. Even if you were caught committing murder on video - there's always a defense.
I'm sure in this case the defense will relate to how much the damages should actually be. IMO, Conor legitimately owes Chiesa his show and win money for the missed fight, and his medical bills for the cut and maybe a bit more for "emotional" damage. If Chiesa pulls in too much more than that, it's a sign of how much we need tort reform in the US.

How much can Chiesa sue him for when he fought three months after the incident? He must have been back in training camp a month or so after it happened, so clearly he wasn't hurt that badly.

He didn't seem emotionally distressed when he constantly tried getting in Pettis's face before they fought.

He just needs to fuck off.

Lol @ settling for a hundred grand you guys are even dumber than I thought

OK. Still he's in it with Barklays Center so only 50% on him.
Nah it's a civil case. The jury will decide what percent of the incident was whose fault.

Could be 50% McGregor 50% Barclay
Could be 80% McGregor 20% Barclay
Could be 10% McGregor 90% Barclay

We won't know unless it goes to trial and a jury decides what's what (then have a judge not amend anything. In the case of the old lady who burned herself with McDonald's coffee the jury awarded her $2.76 mil but the judged amended the damages to $640K and not parties appealed and they settled out of court after that. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants)

Yeah... you are retarded

I guess my local Bar has low standards. Apart from 82% in my group failing the exam.

Fuck Wolf - tell me what estoppel is without googling it? Or equity? Or what is consideration? Can you tell me what the difference between common and civil jurisdictions is? Maybe why notaries in New Orleans work different than in New York? What about Roman law? Ius Gentium? Couple of Tablets you might want to read up about.

I also wrote a dissertation that my prof still hands around to show how you motherfucking write because it’s perfect re: references, quotes and formatting.

Oh and it was about legalizing and taxing drugs. Twenty years ago.

Now write some bullshit up.

Who ever thought Michael Chiesa would become a millionaire as an MMA fighter? Not I....yet, it now seems he will.

Jarl

I bet all the other fighters are wishing they were the ones that were sitting near that window.

Back