Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it there's very little chance of Trump being impeached until after the mid-terms.
The chances of a Republican controlled congress impeaching him don't seem high.

I don't find Oliver funny, mostly because he's a Brit doing American humour.
It's what Rich Evans calls "nonmedy".
You tune in in a mood for comedy but once the jokes get rolling, your enjoyment and amusement levels actually drop.

It would appear that there is a strong correlation between being left wing and having a sense of humor. I can't think of any right wing comedian; Bill Burr is probably the guy that comes the closest, but he is not insightful enough to make a political satire show I think.

Yes, but I also suspect that some of it has to do with Hollywood and the left lean that most of the industry shares. No one can tell me that there are not funny or intelligent comedians from the right, that are not the equivalent of John Stewart and his ilk. Also, maybe the rigid stances of the right make them easier targets and what a right leaning talk show host would go after liberal politicians for, would not rankle them as much as it does the republicans.

Yes, but I also suspect that some of it has to do with Hollywood and the left lean that most of the industry shares. No one can tell me that there are not funny or intelligent comedians from the right, that are not the equivalent of John Stewart and his ilk. Also, maybe the rigid stances of the right make them easier targets and what a right leaning talk show host would go after liberal politicians for, would not rankle them as much as it does the republicans.

They don't exist. What the right has is provocateurs. People who say outrageous stuff, piss people off, and profit. From Anne Coulter to Milo, Alex Jones and Michael Savage.

It's a special brand of performance art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back