Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humor is subjective. Personally, I find nothing even remotely funny about the shows you mentioned. I'm not sure how you can laugh at the same smug, "How can (insert conservative politician, christian group or Fox News here) be so (stupid, racist, sexist, homophobic, etc) while we on the left are totally with the current times" every night.

You don't find it funny because it's your ideology and political views being attacked. You can't step out of your frame of reference and see the truth and humor in it. Because you're a tribalistic follower.

he's the 'best' out of the leftist foreigners that clown on the US bunch, but that's not saying much

his feature pieces are also NOTORIOUSLY one sided and omit lots of factual evidence in general

You don't find it funny because it's your ideology and political views being attacked. You can't step out of your frame of reference and see the truth and humor in it. Because you're a tribalistic follower.

You find it funny because it's your ideology and political views being pushed. You cannot step out of your frame of reference and see the self-righteousness and smugness in it because you are a tribalistic follower.

You find it funny because it's your ideology and political views being pushed. You cannot step out of your frame of reference and see the self-righteousness and smugness in it because you are a tribalistic follower.

Not really. I identify as a liberal and libertarian. I don't like the democratic party and have no loyalty to them. I find it funny because it's objectively funny. The old white men and their backwardness are an easy target and make for great comedy. Watching you dolts constantly try to defend and stand up for the orange sphincter with his sub 100 IQ is fucking gold.

Not really. I identify as a liberal and libertarian. I don't like the democratic party and have no loyalty to them. I find it funny because it's objectively funny. The old white men and their backwardness are an easy target and make for great comedy. Watching you dolts constantly try to defend and stand up for the orange sphincter with his sub 100 IQ is fucking gold.

55a.png

Here is a link to leftist schilling Salon with an article on Oliver's tax loophole: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/11/is-john-oliver-a-hypocrite-on-taxes/

I'm confused....no one should work for a company or network that donates money to a political candidate that you don't like? And that makes you automatically not funny? What logic are you trying to push here? Also, don't you applaud Trump for using tax loopholes for tax breaks? Hypocrite much?

I'm confused....no one should work for a company or network that donates money to a political candidate that you don't like? And that makes you automatically not funny? What logic are you trying to push here? Also, don't you applaud Trump for using tax loopholes for tax breaks? Hypocrite much?

You would think there is a conflict of interest when it comes to a network that pays a large sum of money to a democratic candidate. Chances are that kind of political investment is going to have a strong influence on what John Oliver can and cannot say regarding the democratic party and what he can and cannot say about the Republican party.

I have never applauded Trump for using tax loophole breaks. I would appreciate it if you provided some evidence showing that I have said anything that would imply that I support anyone using tax loopholes. I'm not sure what my views on Trump have to do with John Oliver's hypocrisy. Oliver is the one who gets smug and obnoxious about how terrible the wealthy are and yet, he is no better than the people he mocks on television.

Face the reality. Oliver is a just another mediocre corporate whore who uses his mouth as a c*ck holster for his democratic party supporting masters and people like you buy into the puppet show.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Crying inside?!?! More like laughing all the way to the bank. President Trump is the rolling dumpster fire that keeps on giving, if you're a satirist.
They are all satirist...that ate crow....You can make your own assumptions but watching their meltdowns right after Trump won was the most enjoyable ones...

You would think there is a conflict of interest when it comes to a network that pays a large sum of money to a democratic candidate. Chances are that kind of political investment is going to have a strong influence on what John Oliver can and cannot say regarding the democratic party and what he can and cannot say about the Republican party.

I have never applauded Trump for using tax loophole breaks. I would appreciate it if you provided some evidence showing that I have said anything that would imply that I support anyone using tax loopholes. I'm not sure what my views on Trump have to do with John Oliver's hypocrisy. Oliver is the one who gets smug and obnoxious about how terrible the wealthy are and yet, he is no better than the people he mocks on television.

Face the reality. Oliver is a just another mediocre corporate whore who uses his mouth as a c*ck holster for his democratic party supporting masters and people like you buy into the puppet show.

giphy.gif

Okay... so by your own criteria ALL fox news anchors are bullshit and their opinions are meaningless right? HBO is by far the most independent mainstream media channel and it's not even close. They are not at all restrained and are given carte blanche to do what they want. Lmfao @ suggesting otherwise while you watch fox news. Also lmfao @ borrowing Colberts line about mouth cock holsters. That line must have really rustled you.

Okay... so by your own criteria ALL fox news anchors are bullshit and their opinions are meaningless right? HBO is by far the most independent mainstream media channel and it's not even close. They are not at all restrained and are given carte blanche to do what they want. Lmfao @ suggesting otherwise while you watch fox news. Also lmfao @ borrowing Colberts line about mouth cock holsters. That line must have really rustled you.

What is with the personal attack? Aren't you going to defend your hero John Oliver for using tax loop holes?

I do not have cable television and I do not watch Fox News. I am rather disgusted with all mainstream media and avoid it as much as possible. I am getting to the point where I am quite tempted to give up paying attention to the news altogether.

Yes, I was rustled by Colbert's tasteless name-calling. His disgusting behavior shows just how far morals and class have declined. What exactly was clever about Colbert resorting to classless and vulgar name-calling. Are there no standards anymore?

Regarding Oliver's Hypocrisy

Leftist radical, Christopher Hedges, perfectly explains why corporate shills like Stewart, Colbert and Oliver have ruined satire:

"Satire becomes destroyed in essence in the hands of figures like Colbert, John Stewart and others," Hedges asserts. "They will attack the excesses or the foibles of the system, but they are never going to expose the system itself because they are all millionaires, they are commercially supported. You have very few people (George Carlin was one) who will stand up and do it. If you do that, it is tough to make a living. Carlin maybe being the exception. But if you really use Satire the way Swift used Satire, to expose the English barbarity in Ireland because culture, like everything else in the society has been completely corporatized."

Source:

Didn't see another thread, so here goes.

In short, I am a fan of the show. I like Oliver's brand of humor, and how he deconstructs his topics, yada yada, let's post our thoughts on the most recent episodes.

This week's show was interesting.

In short, Oliver made the show all about the recent week Donald Trump had, and despite his enthusiasm in attacking Trump, the episode served as a reality check for Liberals. Oliver went over all the recent events, made his jokes, and essentially told Liberals what they wanted to hear...with a light-hearted but oh' so real caution at the end of his 26 minute rant. That being, that you should not get your hopes up for impeachment. It was all cleverly put together, as he threw out the red meat for the audience, made fun of anyone(FOX News) making light of the recent evens as nothing to get worked up over, got the crowd into a frenzy, and then basically said that Trump will get through this. Pretty much confirming that while it's fun to go nuts over this, it's likely not going to add up to much, so calm the fuck down.

Anyways, discuss away....

trump wont be impeached. well....unless something TRULY damning comes out of the russia investigation. and at this point, i almost cant imagine something this bad. he could literally have the video come out of him getting a russian prostitute golden shower, and his supporters would still be alright with it.

his party controls congress. even if it didnt, the dems are too spineless to really go after him in any tangible way. republicans will only go after him if something truly bad happens where if they are connected to him, it will be bad for them. at that point, theyll want to spearhead the campaign to oust him.

What is with the personal attack? Aren't you going to defend your hero John Oliver for using tax loop holes?
Defend him for what? He used a tax loop hole. Cool. I don't agree with doing that and I don't like him doing that. Does that mean I make black and white assessments of people and decide he sucks because he did one thing I don't like? Or, do I act like an adult and form a nuanced multi faceted opinion? He is fucking hilarious. And if you regularly watch his show, you would know he does a lot of covering topics that are bi-partisan and that don't get much attention. He does a great job of going in depth and pointing out bullshit in our society and exposing things that really don't get any coverage.

I do not have cable television and I do not watch Fox News. I am rather disgusted with all mainstream media and avoid it as much as possible. I am getting to the point where I am quite tempted to give up paying attention to the news altogether.
Good. So where do you get your news?

Yes, I was rustled by Colbert's tasteless name-calling. His disgusting behavior shows just how far morals and class have declined. What exactly was clever about Colbert resorting to classless and vulgar name-calling. Are there no standards anymore?
You're a Trump supporter rustled by tasteless name calling and lack of class... holy fuck. Do you even analyze your thoughts at all? Like AT ALL??? You support a guy that mocked a disabled reporter and called mexicans rapists, and you're disturbed by the lack of class. Holy fuck lololol. You're a member of the same party that draws pictures of michelle obama as an ape, says Obama was born in kenya and that he's a muslim communist. You're upset by the lack of liberal civility............................ the irony.

Leftist radical, Christopher Hedges, perfectly explains why shills like Stewart, Colbert and Oliver have ruined satire:

"Satire becomes destroyed in essence in the hands of figures like Colbert, John Stewart and others," Hedges asserts. "They will attack the excesses or the foibles of the system, but they are never going to expose the system itself because they are all millionaires, they are commercially supported. You have very few people (George Carlin was one) who will stand up and do it. If you do that, it is tough to make a living. Carlin maybe being the exception. But if you really use Satire the way Swift used Satire, to expose the English barbarity in Ireland because culture, like everything else in the society has been completely corporatized."

Source:

sounds like a nobody trying to make a name.

Defend him for what? He used a tax loop hole. Cool. I don't agree with doing that and I don't like him doing that. Does that mean I make black and white assessments of people and decide he sucks because he did one thing I don't like? Or, do I act like an adult and form a nuanced multi faceted opinion? He is fucking hilarious. And if you regularly watch his show, you would know he does a lot of covering topics that are bi-partisan and that don't get much attention. He does a great job of going in depth and pointing out bullshit in our society and exposing things that really don't get any coverage.

You're a Trump supporter rustled by tasteless name calling and lack of class... holy fuck. Do you even analyze your thoughts at all? Like AT ALL??? You support a guy that mocked a disabled reporter and called mexicans rapists, and you're disturbed by the lack of class. Holy fuck lololol. You're a member of the same party that draws pictures of michelle obama as an ape, says Obama was born in kenya and that he's a muslim communist. You're upset by the lack of liberal civility............................ the irony.

Christopher Hedges is far from unknown. He is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Princeton professor and author of multiple best-selling books including the excellent Death of the Liberal Class. His quote on political satirists like Stewart and Oliver is accurate. They are corporate shills who will mock and verbally attack low hanging fruit from the safety of their big network television shows, but they will never expose the corrupt system that they are very much a part of.

Satire becomes destroyed in essence in the hands of figures like Colbert, John Stewart and others," Hedges asserts. "They will attack the excesses or the foibles of the system, but they are never going to expose the system itself because they are all millionaires, they are commercially supported.

Here is a better video of Hedges criticizing Stewart and Colbert.

You started a whole back and forth here because why, the other guy said he doesn't like Oliver and finds him smug? Why is that opinion so unacceptable to you? And out of all that somehow he has to take responsibility for all the dumbasses who called Michelle an ape and all that other shit? Why can't you just accept that he doesn't like John Oliver?

I can't stand that smug weasel. His "Migrants and Refugees" episode hasn't aged too well eh.

I just watched this... absolutely brutal.

Oliver starts yelling at Slovakia, telling them that they need to not only let in immigrants, but also build mosques for them.

This shit is getting beyond weird

They are all satirist...that ate crow....You can make your own assumptions but watching their meltdowns right after Trump won was the most enjoyable ones...

Kanto'
Pres. Trump won't make it four years. He's a rolling dumpster fire. He's so bad at being President that Sean Spicer (His Spokesman) was hiding in the bushes of the White House to avoid being questioned..

Screen-Shot-2017-05-10-at-8.22.17-AM.png

trapped-in-the-closet-o.gif

You started a whole back and forth here because why, the other guy said he doesn't like Oliver and finds him smug? Why is that opinion so unacceptable to you? And out of all that somehow he has to take responsibility for all the dumbasses who called Michelle an ape and all that other shit? Why can't you just accept that he doesn't like John Oliver?
Yeah, you're not at all accurately representing the back and forth. Calling Oliver smug is perfectly fine, and probably accurate. He was saying that Maher, Stewart, Oliver and Colbert are all not funny. That's weird that dudes who have millions of people watching them across multiple networks are all 'not funny'. Weird. How do they get attention then? How is Maher a successful touring stand up? How did the Daily Show win so much critical acclaim? Seems weird that all these political comedy shows are 'not funny' yet have had so much success.

Yeah, you're not at all accurately representing the back and forth. Calling Oliver smug is perfectly fine, and probably accurate. He was saying that Maher, Stewart, Oliver and Colbert are all not funny. That's weird that dudes who have millions of people watching them across multiple networks are all 'not funny'. Weird. How do they get attention then? How is Maher a successful touring stand up? How did the Daily Show win so much critical acclaim? Seems weird that all these political comedy shows are 'not funny' yet have had so much success.

So uh, humour isn't subjective? If his opinion is that those shows aren't funny....are you just gonna fling poop at him until he sees the light? I just think it's pretty weird and counter-productive. I mean if I said I didn't like a certain genre of music would you hurl insults at me and point out how popular some of the artists in that genre were? Maybe it's better to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back