Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereticBD

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Didn't see another thread, so here goes.

In short, I am a fan of the show. I like Oliver's brand of humor, and how he deconstructs his topics, yada yada, let's post our thoughts on the most recent episodes.

This week's show was interesting.

In short, Oliver made the show all about the recent week Donald Trump had, and despite his enthusiasm in attacking Trump, the episode served as a reality check for Liberals. Oliver went over all the recent events, made his jokes, and essentially told Liberals what they wanted to hear...with a light-hearted but oh' so real caution at the end of his 26 minute rant. That being, that you should not get your hopes up for impeachment. It was all cleverly put together, as he threw out the red meat for the audience, made fun of anyone(FOX News) making light of the recent evens as nothing to get worked up over, got the crowd into a frenzy, and then basically said that Trump will get through this. Pretty much confirming that while it's fun to go nuts over this, it's likely not going to add up to much, so calm the fuck down.

Anyways, discuss away....

zEN9NG7.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Your rustlement amuses me.

Was it the quip
about how you type out
your posts?

I think it was.

Anyways, talk about the show, or piss off.

i
was
trying
to
bring
joy
to
a
horrible
Fine.

I'll go watch the episode...

Geez... The things I do for War Room...

I cannot watch anyone who came out of Jon Stewart's smug TV show.

I'm watching twin peaks from the 90s

Didn't watch the last one.
He can be pretty funny, although I think he needs to mellow out a bit.

Favorite is Seth Myers, for political comedy.

As for impeachment, personally I think it's a moot point. Orange gonna stress eat himself to death, I think.

I can't stand that smug weasel. His "Migrants and Refugees" episode hasn't aged too well eh.

I love his logic and the way he breaks things down.

I haven't watched this weeks episode but I think he can be hilarious also I do not always agree with his view.
But I am so tired of him and Maher going on and on about trump.
I mean there is a lot of fun to make on the subject but its just too much and sort of always the same.
They would be better served with covering him much less.

As I understand it there's very little chance of Trump being impeached until after the mid-terms.
The chances of a Republican controlled congress impeaching him don't seem high.

I don't find Oliver funny, mostly because he's a Brit doing American humour.

John Oliver, Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers all are deeply deeply crying inside for the next 4 years....they can put up that fake smile but we all know....

I disagree with his politics about 80% of the time but he's pretty funny. I do like when he does episodes that are about more general things like civil forfeiture or the one about the chicken farmers rather than a non stop trump coverage.

As I understand it there's very little chance of Trump being impeached until after the mid-terms.
The chances of a Republican controlled congress impeaching him don't seem high.

I don't find Oliver funny, mostly because he's a Brit doing American humour.
Last episode I watched he was mocking the Aussie accent. You'd have been enraged.

Or maybe it was New Zealand. Same thing to me, Inbred British.

Last episode I watched he was mocking the Aussie accent. You'd have been enraged.

Or maybe it was New Zealand. Same thing to me, Inbred British.

Only if he did a terrible job of it. If you're not sure whether it was an Oz or Kiwi accent, that's not a good sign.
I'm not sure whether it's just his writers, because I don't mind his delivery. It's just I don't usually find American humour funny.
If his comedy was more stereotypically British I might enjoy it.

John Oliver, Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers all are deeply deeply crying inside for the next 4 years....they can put up that fake smile but we all know....

Crying inside?!?! More like laughing all the way to the bank. President Trump is the rolling dumpster fire that keeps on giving, if you're a satirist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back