Lando Vannata; Good but not Great.

i might agree with this except he didnt really gas at all imo

they kept their pace and actually even turned it up late, so i have no problem with them going balls out

He looked like he was slowing down to me in the 2nd and particularly and the 3rd.

A lot of potential, but he needs to refine his style. He eats way too many shots.

He's supposedly a boss grappler. Maybe he should focus on that instead of spamming highlight reel strikes. He nearly had Teymur's back with both hooks in. If he'd secured that position, the outcome of the fight might have been very different.

3 UFC fights.

24 y/o.

Mega hype behind him, wanted to put up a show.

Needs to mix it up he has that D1 wrestler pedigree, he could have went this route and 'secure the win' but he did it in his own way and lost 2 to 1.

Kinda gassed in the 3rd.

Plenty of time to improve. Especially on the defense.

Did you miss the part where he took teymur down and the swede popped back up like nothing? Or maybe the times when teymur actually managed a few take-downs of his own after initiating a grappling sequence?

He looked like someone with only 6 years striking experience

His striking is pretty good, it his defense that's atrocious, he just ran into someone who's been striking longer and had a ton of pro fights under his belt.

A lot of potential, but he needs to refine his style. He eats way too many shots.

He's supposedly a boss grappler. Maybe he should focus on that instead of spamming highlight reel strikes. He nearly had Teymur's back with both hooks in. If he'd secured that position, the outcome of the fight might have been very different.

Not sure about that, Teymur's TDD and scrambling ability looked to be legit in my eyes.

Did you miss the part where he took teymur down and the swede popped back up like nothing? Or maybe the times when teymur actually managed a few take-downs of his own after initiating a grappling sequence?

It was clear he wasn't focused on grappling, his training camp wasn't grapple and get the win on points.

I'm not sure how good Teymur's grappling is but Lando was definitely below Ferguson. For being touted not just as a striker but as a grappler Lando needs to call Stella, who is currently in possession of Lando's groove.

Angela-Bassett-American-Horror-Story-Hotel-LA-Screening-theia-1-625x1000.jpg

I think to be in Cerrone's position is a win on its own. The guy's had an amazing career but didn't win UFC gold. Anyone who gets to Cerrone's level (regular top 5 and a star) will get good money and has a solid chance to win the belt since the margin of error is so small.

Teymur is a good striker as is Lando. The positive is that now you have 1 up & comer more, while Lando stays as such for now.

Finally saw the fight between him and Teymur, and I will admit that I thought he would win, I also thought that Teymur might prove to be a difficult opponent.

From what I've seen so far, I think Lando is a talented fighter with a flashy crowd pleasing style, but now I'm not sure he's championship material. I think he'll have a solid UFC career and will be a fan favorite like Cowboy Cerrone, but I don't think he'll be a champion at 155. He's not defensively sound and gets hit way too much for my liking, and I don't think he manages his energy expenditure all that well.

Hilarious to read the hypetrains that get built over guys who haven't proven themselves; Sage, Perry, Lando, just to name the most recent ones.
We're excited by potential Next Big Things, the next possible superstar. One will emerge someday, but who? Lando's only 24, and fighters improve with every fight, or they're supposed to anyway, so anyway I haven't written Lando off quite yet. That being said, everything you wrote about his shortcomings I agree with. But if you're aware of these things then his team should be, and he'll improve. I hope. I really like the guy.

It was clear he wasn't focused on grappling, his training camp wasn't grapple and get the win on points.

I'm curious to see how far he can evolve, like I said he has a lot of natural ability. His style is kinda of TJ'esque, but with more creativity and power.

We're excited by potential Next Big Things, the next possible superstar. One will emerge someday, but who? Lando's only 24, and fighters improve with every fight, or they're supposed to anyway, so anyway I haven't written Lando off quite yet. That being said, everything you wrote about his shortcomings I agree with. But if you're aware of these things then his team should be, and he'll improve. I hope. I really like the guy.

Oh I get it, its cool to root and get behind a guy, but the over the top proclamations about Lando after one good round against Ferg was ludicrous. I actually like the guy now too after listening to him talk in various interviews, I hope he can improve and evolve and prove me wrong.

I'm curious to see how far he can evolve, like I said he has a lot of natural ability. His style is kinda of TJ'esque, but with more creativity and power.

Yea he is a legit prospect.

Same like Choi.. maybe even Sage if we consider his age the rest are smoke up our asses.

Finally saw the fight between him and Teymur, and I will admit that I thought he would win, I also thought that Teymur might prove to be a difficult opponent.

From what I've seen so far, I think Lando is a talented fighter with a flashy crowd pleasing style, but now I'm not sure he's championship material. I think he'll have a solid UFC career and will be a fan favorite like Cowboy Cerrone, but I don't think he'll be a champion at 155. He's not defensively sound and gets hit way too much for my liking, and I don't think he manages his energy expenditure all that well.

Hilarious to read the hypetrains that get built over guys who haven't proven themselves; Sage, Perry, Lando, just to name the most recent ones.

It was more Teymur good than Lando not good and no i'm not a Lando fanatic.

He did far more damage to Teymura than Teymura did to him. I don't mean cuts, I mean as in landing clean, effective punches. Teymura wanted to score some points, Lando wanted to finish.

Oh I get it, its cool to root and get behind a guy, but the over the top proclamations about Lando after one good round against Ferg was ludicrous. I actually like the guy now too after listening to him talk in various interviews, I hope he can improve and evolve and prove me wrong.

12 days short notice, no camp vs a top 5 LW .. first fight in the UFC at age 23, fighting just for a few years and he almost pulled it off.. hard to impress you are my man.

Yea he is a legit prospect.

Same like Choi.. maybe even Sage if we consider his age the rest are smoke up our asses.

lol Sage has grown on me. I really hope he gets better and sticks with the UFC to reach his full potential. I just hate he's at RoufusSports now. Was hoping he get with a different gym, but cest la vie

Definitely a fun fight.
I liked what I saw from Teymur last night. He took some big shots from an aggressive unorthodox opponent and didn't flinch.

Last edited:
It was more Teymur good than Lando not good and no i'm not a Lando fanatic.

I know. I'm not taking away Teymur's performance in the slightest bit. If you read my other posts, I said his hands and his kicks were far more effective than Lando, while not as flashy but more than capable of doing the job.

He hasn't even been striking that long and he's already this good. That's a pretty good sign that he might be a top contender in a few years. He's only 24 and has been matched up with 3 great opponents. Most guys don't get thrown to such good opposition this early in their UFC career. The fact he has a bunch of fans is the reason why the UFC has been giving him hard fights, really.

We saw how well he did against Ferguson, but the truth about that is it was a short notice fight. Short notice fights are the most dangerous fights you can take. Tony didn't really know what to expect from Lando in there that night, but Lando knew what to expect from Tony because he had already seen him fight many times before.

Lando will improve. I'm interested to see what he'll be like in the next 3 years or so. Sometimes losing is better for you than winning is. Don't count him out yet and stop taking hype so seriously. Just because he has a lot of fans and ending up losing (to a great opponent, by the way) doesn't mean he's suddenly not very good, never was, overrated, etc.

People simply enjoy his style. We just enjoy watching him fight and you have to be blind not to see the potential in him. Everybody loses, especially this early in their UFC career, especially against opponents of this level. Lando has been thrown to the wolves pretty early, didn't get to work himself up like basically everybody else and he's doing quite well for himself still.

I am very confident he'll come back better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back