Kyokushin Karate MMA Fighters

gloves are there to protect your hand and prevent cuts to the face (with vasaline). What rebuttal do you have to my main point? None

It was a real question. If you takes the gloves off permanently in a boxing, kickboxing or MT sanctioned fights, what would happen to the sport and therefore the practitioners? Sincerely think about that. Rather than tool on KK because it does not have punches to the face ask why? Ask what would happen if gloves were taken off boxers, MT...... fighters. What are the implications?

broken hands and mauled faces. It would destroy the sport. What it wouldn't do is give any more brain damage to the fighters. If anything, they would have less.

KK allows full contact kicks to the head. Why not punches? If you can crush a skull with a foot then why not a hand? It is not a matter of allowing damage or kicks to the head would not be allowed. I already know the answer. Feel free to research it.

Why don't you share your infinite wisdom?

Mauy thai guys and kickboxers won't do great in KK rules because of the lack of head shots, not the lack of gloves. It's the RESTRICTIONS and not the lack of gloves that would impede kickboxers and muay thai practioners.

Soku, T.silva, and Franklin are not great strikers. They are grapplers turned strikers. As for Mcdonald he took him down early and choked him.

Name one fight where machida had a prolonged stand up war with a striker turned mma fighter.

Machida hasn't neccesarily knocked everyone he has fought but his striking has done the job. We are now seeing the evolution of mma that apart from in special cases the goal of striking is to knock your opponent if you can but usually to put them on their back or avoid them putting you on your back. Machida is also a bjj black belt so its not like he spends all his time striking as is the case with macdonald. He is also, like GSP, very tidy and never overcomits which means he never steps deep into the clinch where he can be taken down. His striking style is the opposite of Dan henderson an olympic caliber wrestler who gets taken down my much worse wrestlers than himself. Plenty of muay thai fighters who have spent alot more time training than their opponents run into problems when they come against a guy throwing bombs but Lyoto and GSP by either a foot sweep or a double leg are able to overcome this.

gloves are there to protect your hand and prevent cuts to the face (with vasaline). What rebuttal do you have to my main point? None

broken hands and mauled faces. It would destroy the sport. What it wouldn't do is give any more brain damage to the fighters. If anything, they would have less.

Why don't you share your infinite wisdom?

Mauy thai guys and kickboxers won't do great in KK rules because of the lack of head shots, not the lack of gloves. It's the RESTRICTIONS and not the lack of gloves that would impede kickboxers and muay thai practioners.

Soku, T.silva, and Franklin are not great strikers. They are grapplers turned strikers. As for Mcdonald he took him down early and choked him.

Name one fight where machida had a prolonged stand up war with a striker turned mma fighter.

This was perfectly written and EXACTLY my only point. Everything else was just noise.

As far as Machida fighting a world class striker you are right. If he fought McDonald as striking only he would have a real rough night. I can not concede that he would lose badly because you never know. That was also the peak of McDonald's career and Machida just started. However he did what you do in MMA and that is find your advantage.

Schilt is Ashihara karate (a kyokushin offshoot). That is the style he started out in, grew up with, and which is the style he still trains under his instructor Dave Jonkers (who also is his trainer and coach in the golden glory gym). Jonkers happen to be the boss in the Dutch based "Ashihara international" organization.
In Japan he is formally associated to Seidokaikan (another kyokushin offshoot) since a couple of years, but that is all just politics. He only trains With seidokaikan when visiting in Japan. Home in Holland he trains Ashihara karate with Jonkers.

The reason he fights under the flag of seido kaikan instead of Ashihara may be copyrights to the name and symbols for ashihara karate in Japan. "Ashihara international" under Junkers is a independent breakaway group from the Japanese Ashihara organization (new NIKO Ashihara Kaikan), which holds all the Japanese copyrights. "Ashihara international" has no branch in Japan. and ofcourse, since K-1 started out as a offshoot from seidokaikan, with all the people behind K-1 originating in seidokaikan -it is a advantage in K-1 to be connected to them.

Yeah, in addition to that, Seido Kaikan is strongly rooted in the K-1 organization, so I'm pretty sure they will always hold sway in terms of marketing rights and gaining access to big names like Schilt to rep them.

For all the noobs who think they know about Kyokushin and its offshoots. Bare Knuckle punching is one aspect that Kyokushin sets them from other art. Broken jaws, faces, cut eyebrows are few of many reasons why Kyokushin doesnt allow head punches. Also Kyokushin tournaments are not held as just one fight in one day. They fight up to 8 matches per day. So when you apply the head bareknuckle punching that will cause many injuries to the fighters and also cause brain injuries that could result to death. bareknuckle punching and mma gloves is really different from each other. So dont compare them.

Also Kyokushin fighting is all about endurance and toughness on how will you go to the finals with all the damage that your body has attain after fighting different opponents in one day. And if you think Kyokushin fighters fight for their money. Your wrong.. Mainly Kyokushin tournaments are won only by trophies and certificates and without any reward or money. Thats why some Fighters leave the Kyokushin and form there own. Seido Kaikan allows its fighters to compete professionally to other leagues like k-1 and other kickboxing events. Guys Like Filho, Feitosa and some KK fighters ask persmission from the Honbu(main) dojo before fighting in K-1. yeah I do believe that head punches in KK is one of its weakness.. thats why I take up Seido Kaikan classes and Kickboxing classes at the same time. but I can say that Kyokushin body punches is also a tough competition because you have to endure the pain that your body has received.

IF you want Kyokushin with head punches try SHidokan and Kudo(Daido Juku).

I don't understand why Kidachi didn't win that 2nd match. The judging seemed biased in favor of Koyasu.

This is in Kyokusin Tournament and Koyasu a seido kaikan landed many blows to Kidachi in the 2nd round, thats what i think. He blocked almost all the low kicks that Kidachi throws thats why he won.

This is in Kyokusin Tournament and Koyasu a seido kaikan landed many blows to Kidachi in the 2nd round, thats what i think. He blocked almost all the low kicks that Kidachi throws thats why he won.

I know it was a Kyokushin tournament. He blocked a lot, but he was constantly backing up because of Kidachi's attack, except for a short time. Is pressure like that not viewed as a good offensive tactic under Kyokushin rules?

IF you want Kyokushin with head punches try SHidokan and Kudo(Daido Juku).

I think Daido Juku is good, but to be honest I got tired of waiting for them to let me use anything more than Kyokushin rules. I understand that for new fighters, that's necessary. The thing is, I was new to the dojo, but had plenty of striking experience in other dojos (such as 正道会館), but even so, the teacher made me wait a long time.

I think Daido Juku is good, but to be honest I got tired of waiting for them to let me use anything more than Kyokushin rules. I understand that for new fighters, that's necessary. The thing is, I was new to the dojo, but had plenty of striking experience in other dojos (such as 正道会館), but even so, the teacher made me wait a long time.

Just like Yoda said "patience my friend!".. I am a black belt in Kyokushin and have kickboxing experience but when I entered a Kudo Dojo I started as a white belt and dont practice those ground skills. :icon_lol:

May I ask you.. What Kyokushin offshoots you are? what country ??

About Yudachi and Koyasu fight. The dominant fighter and pressured scores on the judges but I just dont know why.. But mainly one reason is Koyasu showed technicality rather than Kidachi raging attacks.:redface:

Just like Yoda said "patience my friend!".. I am a black belt in Kyokushin and have kickboxing experience but when I entered a Kudo Dojo I started as a white belt and dont practice those ground skills. :icon_lol:

May I ask you.. What Kyokushin offshoots you are? what country ??

Most of that experience has been in Osaka. 正道会館1年ぐらいと、シューティングジム大阪と、大道塾も少しだけ。

Most of that experience has been in Osaka. 正道会館1年ぐらいと、シューティングジム大阪と、大道塾も少しだけ。

All I can say is Just train hard... OSu!

Don't want to hijack the thread but didn't know where to post this question:

Do you Karate practitioners think a chop or a ridge hand strike would be useful in MMA?

Don't want to hijack the thread but didn't know where to post this question:

Do you Karate practitioners think a chop or a ridge hand strike would be useful in MMA?

Chop? Ridgehand yes. It is very similat to the way Fedor throws his lead left that connects with the inside knuckle. You can aim a ridgehand to the temple and drop someone.

The best way to throw it is to shoot in with the feet (a 6-10 inch front foot step) as you grab your opponents lead and and drag it low and to the outside to tie up his other hand. THen you can drill it with the round part of your inside knuckle into the round part of the temple. THe physics of the punch make it fast, the whip at the end adds acceleration.

I am not really sure about a chop. I don't think I ever "chopped" someone.

Chop? Ridgehand yes. It is very similat to the way Fedor throws his lead left that connects with the inside knuckle. You can aim a ridgehand to the temple and drop someone.

The best way to throw it is to shoot in with the feet (a 6-10 inch front foot step) as you grab your opponents lead and and drag it low and to the outside to tie up his other hand. THen you can drill it with the round part of your inside knuckle into the round part of the temple. THe physics of the punch make it fast, the whip at the end adds acceleration.

I am not really sure about a chop. I don't think I ever "chopped" someone.

Thanks for the info on the ridge hand.

The "chop" I mentioned is because I don't know the technical name for the strike or even if the edge side of your hand on the pinky side is even used? Is it?

Couldn't you break a collar bone with a downward chopping strike?

The "chop" I mentioned is because I don't know the technical name for the strike or even if the edge side of your hand on the pinky side is even used? Is it?

One thing about the chop is it is not effective if no proper hip torque is applied. And you have to practice it everyday. I mean everyday to be so effective. I think its illegal in MMA. Because this attacks main target is the back of the neck which supports the backbone and to the upper left or right of the head near the eye. I hope you get what I mean. It can cause some to lose consciousness in an instant if he is unprepared. Heres one video showing a karateka applying the chop but i think this is not a Kyokushin Practitioner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9qBRRTzJ0

Not sure about the chop breaking the collar bone because the fingers would hit and twist the angle of impact. I hammer fist or overhand punch prob better.

we aim elbows as the collar bone but as chachikiller said it would be hard to get the hand in.
hammerfist works well,i do security work and the hammerfist to the back of the neck, not right at the back works 90% of the time.
any strikes the these areas are dangerous but a simple left hook can be dangerous when in the street and they can fall on the concrete.
i like strikes to the throat but you have to be careful with these,nothing gets someone to comply faster then a choke hold as these terrify people.
tma's have some very effective and dirty moves.

Back