Kyokushin Karate MMA Fighters

loui_ludwig

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Are there any fighters that base their stand up on Kyokushin. Thanx.

I'm sure there's plenty but off the top of my head I know that Bas Rutten and GSP are

Chuck is Kempo, as far as I know he never did Kyokushin.

There are a few mma fighters who come from a Kyokushin background, especially in Europe.

I know he doesnt do mma anymore, but Semmy Schilt is, that or ashira karate

Seido Kai Kan, Ashira, Enshin/Sabaki, Daido Juku, etc....all are offshoots of Kyokushin...after Oyama died, politics took over and people went nuts forming their own shit...

rory markham, it was documented in a book on boxing and mma; some guy trained w/miliitech and w/at andre ward

mass oyama?? technically he didn't do any matches titled mma, but he did a world tour fighting ppl under free rules, which included kung fu, muay thai, judo, sambo, etc fighters.

they guy who went 2nd in the first ufc

they stated him as savate but he got a lot of kyokushin tattoos on his left arm

There are many Kyokushin fighters who compete in MMA are plenty in Japan mainly Kyokushin and its offshoots are strong there

One of it is Nakahara from Filho Dojo

Schilt is Seido Kaikan.

Schilt is Ashihara karate (a kyokushin offshoot). That is the style he started out in, grew up with, and which is the style he still trains under his instructor Dave Jonkers (who also is his trainer and coach in the golden glory gym). Jonkers happen to be the boss in the Dutch based "Ashihara international" organization.
In Japan he is formally associated to Seidokaikan (another kyokushin offshoot) since a couple of years, but that is all just politics. He only trains With seidokaikan when visiting in Japan. Home in Holland he trains Ashihara karate with Jonkers.

The reason he fights under the flag of seido kaikan instead of Ashihara may be copyrights to the name and symbols for ashihara karate in Japan. "Ashihara international" under Junkers is a independent breakaway group from the Japanese Ashihara organization (new NIKO Ashihara Kaikan), which holds all the Japanese copyrights. "Ashihara international" has no branch in Japan. and ofcourse, since K-1 started out as a offshoot from seidokaikan, with all the people behind K-1 originating in seidokaikan -it is a advantage in K-1 to be connected to them.

But Ashihara, Seidokaikan, Kyokushin, Enshin, World Oyama, Shidokan and the other knockdown karate styles... Its all basically the same karate style, with some minor changes in flavor to set them apart.

im sure kyukoshin would make a good base for striking in mma...those bodyshots are nasty

Back