Judge throws out case, says “In God We Trust” will stay on currency

What exactly is the value of putting god's name on our dollars? Just curious. It seems to make absolutely no sense. I mean, it's certainly not fooling him. And wrapping up your god with your money seems like something a mark or a con man would do.

It's one of those things that was pretty pointless to do in the first place, but would feel like a loss to have removed

We are a theocracy now, deal with it :cool:

I really dont care.

And im athiest

It's the same thing with the pledge... it was placed there in the 50's during the "Red Scare" when the population was in a frenzy over communism. I'm an atheist and it doesn't really bother me either way, but I will bet that every single one of you defending this (ie judge striking down case) would lose your shit if that was replaced with "In Allah we Trust." The big issue is does our federal money need to have anything involving religion, in any manner whatsoever?

Whatever as it's really not an issue because it doesn't have any real effect (outside of silly triggering "offensiveness) so it's moot.

I really don't see how having "In God We Trust" endorses a specific religion. God is a generic term that could mean anything from fate to a specific deity. If it had Yahweh, Jehovah, Shiva, Odin, Allah, Jupiter, or the name of any other specific deity then it would be a different matter.

What exactly is the value of putting god's name on our dollars? Just curious. It seems to make absolutely no sense. I mean, it's certainly not fooling him. And wrapping up your god with your money seems like something a mark or a con man would do.
What exactly is the value of being outraged over something that's been on paper money that you've used your whole life and never noticed until now?

Technically it doesn't specify which god so it's not an endorsement of any particular religion.

And the 1st amendment states "Congress shall make no law..."

The words "in god we trust" arent law.

Last edited:
Yes, I read it. That quote is attributed to- pay attention to the spelling here- "some commenter's." It's also a shit argument for many reasons. Do you have a good reason for slathering god's name onto our money?

In no way does an endorsement of religion belong on our money.

Well, it seems incredibly fitting to me if it's in reference to Mammon.

"We don't worship government, we worship God."-President Donald Trump

What a coincidence, Muslims in Europe seem to follow a similar line of thought.

Allah's law > country of residence law

But those poor people that take the time to be oppressed when they think about "In God We Trust" emblazoned on the money that they are using to purchase alcohol, drugs and prostitutes.
In drugs, booze and pussy we trust.

What exactly is the value of being outraged over something that's been on paper money that you've used your whole life and never noticed until now?
I'm not outraged- I don't think it's outrageous and I'm not out there in a rage. Accusing somebody of not noticing 'in god we trust' on the bill their whole life is probably the weirdest thing anybody has been accused of this week. It's like claiming that somebody didn't know what a taco bowl was until Trump tweeted about it. There are things that are in common knowledge, and it shows a serious disconnect from your environment that you would think somebody wouldn't have noticed one of the main features of the bill.

True, about the 'some commenter's'. But you asked: 'What exactly is the value of putting god's name on our dollars?', and I think that is as good of a reason as any other.

"In God We Trust" is the official motto of the United States. It was adopted as the nation's motto in 1956 replacing the unofficial motto of 'E pluribus unum' (Out of many one). This 1782 motto would play a key role later in the Civil War. "In God We Trust" first appeared on the 2 cent piece in 1864. The argument can go both ways on having God in our currency. I personally like it, and many Americans in 1956 supported it. I can see where in today's 'politically correct' America it would become a problem. If the Confederate flag and Confederate statues that have been around for hundreds of years are coming down, this too may change in the near future. This time though, the case for it won in court.

@BJ@LW&WW
Yeah I know that when something like this goes to court, that the people who want the change need to make the case that it's unconstitutional. I think we all know that. But that's not a positive argument for the position, so it looks like you're just declining to discuss it, and quoting wikipedia in lieu of braining.

Why not put "In God We Trust" on more government issued things? Speeding tickets, IRS notices, registration acknowledgement cards for the draft....
Good question. Although it would be kind of a dick move to send you a bill from the government with 'e pluribus unum' on it.

I bet if we changed it to "In Allah we trust" libs would think it was progressive.

Back