Judge throws out case, says “In God We Trust” will stay on currency

It's one of those things that was pretty pointless to do in the first place, but would feel like a loss to have removed
That seems to be the real extent of it, but it's strange to pretend that a 60 year old tradition is really that important.

I'm not outraged- I don't think it's outrageous and I'm not out there in a rage. Accusing somebody of not noticing 'in god we trust' on the bill their whole life is probably the weirdest thing anybody has been accused of this week. It's like claiming that somebody didn't know what a taco bowl was until Trump tweeted about it. There are things that are in common knowledge, and it shows a serious disconnect from your environment that you would think somebody wouldn't have noticed one of the main features of the bill.
You may not but someone obviously is, they're trying to get the words removed from our currency. If they're not outraged why the frivolous lawsuit? And if it's not a big deal to you why do you even care? I doubt you'll be honest but I'll ask anyway, when was the last time you picked up United States paper currency and saw that phrase? This is the slippery slope. You start with confederate statues, move on to smaller things and soon enough we're left with a concrete Brutalism society devoid of art and everyone can live in harmony because there won't be anything left to be offended by. We don't need to change everything just because we can.

You may not but someone obviously is, they're trying to get the words removed from our currency. If they're not outraged why the frivolous lawsuit? And if it's not a big deal to you why do you even care? I doubt you'll be honest but I'll ask anyway, when was the last time you picked up United States paper currency and saw that phrase? This is the slippery slope. You start with confederate statues, move on to smaller things and soon enough we're left with a concrete Brutalism society devoid of art and everyone can live in harmony because there won't be anything left to be offended by. We don't need to change everything just because we can.
Okay, now we get to the heart of it. You think holding the line on "in god we trust" is part of a culture war skirmish along the same battle lines as confederate statues. I can't help you with that because that sounds crazy to me. That's not a very good reason imo. I'm not seeing the traditional artistic value of the statement that they added in the 1950s during the commie scare. That's a weird line to take too.

Okay, now we get to the heart of it. You think holding the line on "in god we trust" is part of a culture war skirmish along the same battle lines as confederate statues. I can't help you with that because that sounds crazy to me. That's not a very good reason imo. I'm not seeing the traditional artistic value of the statement that they added in the 1950s during the commie scare. That's a weird line to take too.
It's not the same as the confederate statues, but we're a democratic society that votes for what we want. Our society should not be dictated by a fringe group, wether that be white supremacists or people offended by what's on our currency. I'm guessing there's a smaller number of people in the United States offended by In God We Trust than there are white supremacists. And you might want to do a little research about the phrase, it was used long before the 1950's. Just because you recycle talking points doesn't make them right ;)

It's not the same as the confederate statues, but we're a democratic society that votes for what we want. Our society should not be dictated by a fringe group, wether that be white supremacists or people offended by what's on our currency. I'm guessing there's a smaller number of people in the United States offended by In God We Trust than there are white supremacists. And you might want to do a little research about the phrase, it was used long before the 1950's. Just because you recycle talking points doesn't make them right ;)

Anybody who reads wikipedia would have done "a little research" to confirm the origins of the phrase, so let's just toss that part of your post directly into a small garbage can, and then light it on fire, and then urinate on it.

You've now appealed to democracy, but this was handled democratically, by going through the courts. No group of people can gather around the dollar in a public park and pull "in god we trust" off of it. The things you said are defensive, and not a positive case for putting the phrase onto the money. If it's nothing but meaningless virtue signalling, shouldn't you be against it? Or are you for it because it's the sort of meaningless virtue signalling that you happen to enjoy?

I think the bigger issue is slave owners on our money.

Anybody who reads wikipedia would have done "a little research" to confirm the origins of the phrase, so let's just toss that part of your post directly into a small garbage can, and then light it on fire, and then urinate on it.

You've now appealed to democracy, but this was handled democratically, by going through the courts. No group of people can gather around the dollar in a public park and pull "in god we trust" off of it. The things you said are defensive, and not a positive case for putting the phrase onto the money. If it's nothing but meaningless virtue signalling, shouldn't you be against it? Or are you for it because it's the sort of meaningless virtue signalling that you happen to enjoy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

An Act of Congress passed on March 3, 1865, allowed the Mint Director, with the Secretary's approval, to place the motto on all gold and silver coins that "shall admit the inscription thereon".[8][10]In 1873, Congress passed the Coinage Act, granting that the Secretary of the Treasury "may cause the motto IN GOD WE TRUST to be inscribed on such coins as shall admit of such motto".

The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908.[8] Since 1938, all US coins have borne the motto.

Since you seem to be a fan of Wikipedia. I can't recall, was 1865 before 1956?

We aren't talking about putting a phrase on our currency, we're talking about removing a phrase from it. If you want to get to down to brass tacks-

In 2006, on the 50th anniversary of its adoption, the Senate reaffirmed "In God We Trust" as the official national motto of the United States of America.[17] In 2011 the House of Representatives passed an additional resolution reaffirming "In God We Trust" as the official motto of the United States, in a 396–9 vote.[18][19] According to a 2003 joint poll by USA Today, CNN, and Gallup, 90% of Americans support the inscription "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins.[20]

Who's virtue signaling here?

As someone who is a non-believer I can't stand these types of people who bring on these lawsuits. I don't care if a cross is on some state building or a baby Jesus is displayed in front of city hall.

I see your point, but if that's true, what's the value in taking it off?
The intrinsic value of being a society that bases its actions on reason rather than superstition, such that it does not value the big lie so much in the first place. The value of the thing that could go there in its place- putting god on your money comes with an opportunity cost. The act of removing the phrase means that we've gone beyond the tipping point there. And being that it's a symptomatic and symbolic thing, it doesn't need constant attention and energy, but should be revisited now and then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

Since you seem to be a fan of Wikipedia. I can't recall, was 1865 before 1956?

We aren't talking about putting a phrase on our currency, we're talking about removing a phrase from it. If you want to get to down to brass tacks-

Who's virtue signaling here?
We've moved past the wikipedia issue- didn't you notice? You're the one who has to quote it, so I accept your admission that I know more than you. Place that post back into your fingers, and then trim your nails. Then we can have another painful chat that you can't follow.

Clearly, you're not a student of history. To claim that is false, is full potato.

This is the tip of the iceberg.

The role of Christianity in civilization has in some ways influenced the history and formation of Western society. Throughout its long history, the Christian Church has been one of the major source of social services like schooling and medical care; inspiration for art, culture and philosophy; and influential player in politics and religion. In various ways it has sought to affect Western attitudes to vice and virtue in diverse fields. It has, over many centuries, promulgated the teachings of Jesus within the Western world as well as throughout other nations. Festivals like Easter and Christmas are marked as public holidays; the Gregorian Calendar has been adopted internationally as the civil calendar; and the calendar itself is measured from the date of Jesus's birth.

The cultural influence of the Church has been a lot even though it has syncretized plenty of pagan influences including Santa Claus and Christmas. Church scholars preserved literacy in Western Europe following the Fall of the Western Roman Empire.[1] During the Middle Ages, the Church rose to replace the Roman Empire as the unifying force in Europe. The cathedrals of that age remain among the most iconic feats of architecture produced by Western civilization. Many of Europe's universities were also founded by the church at that time. Many historians state that universities and cathedral schools were a continuation of the interest in learning promoted by monasteries.[2] The university is generally regarded[3][4]as an institution that has its origin in the Medieval Christian setting, born from Cathedral schools.[5] The Reformation brought an end to religious unity in the West, but the Renaissance masterpieces produced by Catholic artists like Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael at that time remain among the most celebrated works of art ever produced. Similarly, Christian sacred music by composers like Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Liszt, and Verdi is among the most admired classical music in the Western canon.

What exactly is the value of putting god's name on our dollars? Just curious. It seems to make absolutely no sense. I mean, it's certainly not fooling him. And wrapping up your god with your money seems like something a mark or a con man would do.

1. Money is God

2. The existence of money as we know is without question the greatest con and the greatest cause of suffering man has ever known.

1. Money is God

2. The existence of money as we know is without question the greatest con and the greatest cause of suffering man has ever known.

So you're suggesting we go back to trading chickens for apples?

Come on dude, that's as stupid as some of the anarchist political philosophy.

1. Money is God

That's a bit much. Money is a way to trade things without having to haul shit around all the time.

It's the same thing with the pledge... it was placed there in the 50's during the "Red Scare" when the population was in a frenzy over communism. I'm an atheist and it doesn't really bother me either way, but I will bet that every single one of you defending this (ie judge striking down case) would lose your shit if that was replaced with "In Allah we Trust." The big issue is does our federal money need to have anything involving religion, in any manner whatsoever?

Whatever as it's really not an issue because it doesn't have any real effect (outside of silly triggering "offensiveness) so it's moot.

I get what you are saying but "God" is a term used by nearly all faiths, including Islam, whereas "Allah" , definitely is not a universal term.

If it said "In Allah We Trust" the left would be creaming down their pant legs.

Clearly, you're not a student of history. To claim that is false, is full potato.

This is the tip of the iceberg.

The role of Christianity in civilization has in some ways influenced the history and formation of Western society. Throughout its long history, the Christian Church has been one of the major source of social services like schooling and medical care; inspiration for art, culture and philosophy; and influential player in politics and religion. In various ways it has sought to affect Western attitudes to vice and virtue in diverse fields. It has, over many centuries, promulgated the teachings of Jesus within the Western world as well as throughout other nations. Festivals like Easter and Christmas are marked as public holidays; the Gregorian Calendar has been adopted internationally as the civil calendar; and the calendar itself is measured from the date of Jesus's birth.

The cultural influence of the Church has been a lot even though it has syncretized plenty of pagan influences including Santa Claus and Christmas. Church scholars preserved literacy in Western Europe following the Fall of the Western Roman Empire.[1] During the Middle Ages, the Church rose to replace the Roman Empire as the unifying force in Europe. The cathedrals of that age remain among the most iconic feats of architecture produced by Western civilization. Many of Europe's universities were also founded by the church at that time. Many historians state that universities and cathedral schools were a continuation of the interest in learning promoted by monasteries.[2] The university is generally regarded[3][4]as an institution that has its origin in the Medieval Christian setting, born from Cathedral schools.[5] The Reformation brought an end to religious unity in the West, but the Renaissance masterpieces produced by Catholic artists like Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael at that time remain among the most celebrated works of art ever produced. Similarly, Christian sacred music by composers like Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Liszt, and Verdi is among the most admired classical music in the Western canon.
Have some imagination. Powerful, intelligent men would have just used a different con to steer society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back